Police Roll Out Video Surveillance Truck Called 'The Peacemaker'...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Tania Ouaknine is convinced the police are watching her.

She's not paranoid — it says as much on the red sign painted along the side on the hulking armored truck that's been parked in front of her eight-room Parisian Motel for several days.

"Warning: You are under video surveillance," reads the bold message on the side of the truck.

From the front bumper of the menacing vehicle, another sign taunts: "Whatcha gonna do when we come for you?"

The truck is a new weapon for the Fort Lauderdale Police Department in the fight against drugs and neighborhood nuisances, and it looks like a Winnebago on steroids. They call it "The Peacemaker," and it may be a first in South Florida.

Mixing high tech with simplicity, the in-your-face strategy is straightforward: load an out-of-service armored truck with some of the latest surveillance equipment available and decorate it with police emblems. Then, simply leave it parked in front of trouble spots.

"Make no mistakes about it," said Detective Travis Mandell. "We want people to know that we are watching the bad guys."

In August, police got the first of their two Peacemakers after paying the Brinks company $10 for a discontinued armored bank truck. They retrofitted the vehicle with cameras that can stream live video back to headquarters. With its cameras hoisted on each bullet-proof window, the truck can gather panoramic footage for up to 700 hours.

Last month the department added a second truck to its arsenal, converting a former SWAT vehicle into the second Peacemaker. Police park the unmanned trucks in front of the homes of suspected drug dealers and at crime-plagued street corners.

Read More:
Peacemaker: Lauderdale police put trouble spots under surveillance - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

If the people lit up the homes of drug dealers, and cleaned up those crime plagued street corners with a "Peacemaker" themselves, this kind of surveillance woudn't be necessary.

Cops often have a sardonic sense of humor.

Given what they are sometimes called upon to do for a living, it's probably a sign of their mental health that they do.

She's not paranoid — it says as much on the red sign painted along the side on the hulking armored truck that's been parked in front of her eight-room Parisian Motel for several days.

"Warning: You are under video surveillance," reads the bold message on the side of the truck.

From the front bumper of the menacing vehicle, another sign taunts: "Whatcha gonna do when we come for you?"

The truck is a new weapon for the Fort Lauderdale Police Department in the fight against drugs and neighborhood nuisances, and it looks like a Winnebago on steroids. They call it "The Peacemaker," and it may be a first in South Florida.

Mixing high tech with simplicity, the in-your-face strategy is straightforward: load an out-of-service armored truck with some of the latest surveillance equipment available and decorate it with police emblems. Then, simply leave it parked in front of trouble spots.

"Make no mistakes about it," said Detective Travis Mandell. "We want people to know that we are watching the bad guys."

In August, police got the first of their two Peacemakers after paying the Brinks company $10 for a discontinued armored bank truck. They retrofitted the vehicle with cameras that can stream live video back to headquarters. With its cameras hoisted on each bullet-proof window, the truck can gather panoramic footage for up to 700 hours.

Last month the department added a second truck to its arsenal, converting a former SWAT vehicle into the second Peacemaker. Police park the unmanned trucks in front of the homes of suspected drug dealers and at crime-plagued street corners.

Read More:
Peacemaker: Lauderdale police put trouble spots under surveillance - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

After reviewing the photo of that vehicle. Then reviewing the type of ammunition that I have available. They will need more trucks.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

After reviewing the photo of that vehicle. Then reviewing the type of ammunition that I have available. They will need more trucks.

I don't know, those things are pretty armored up. :)

It's bullshit, the drug dealers just move, prohibition is always a losing proposition. I lived near several crack houses in South Florida during the 80s-90s and the cops did everything short of shooting crack dealers on sight, to no avail. It's nothing more than an effort to make it look like they are on the ball.

unclesam.jpg

If the people lit up the homes of drug dealers, and cleaned up those crime plagued street corners with a "Peacemaker" themselves, this kind of surveillance woudn't be necessary.

I'm a little bit confused. Are you advocating murder on street corners by the hands of citizens?

If the US Gov't wouldn't allow the drugs to come in our borders in the first place, this kind of surveillance wouldn't be necessary.

If the US Gov't wouldn't allow the drugs to come in our borders in the first place, this kind of surveillance wouldn't be necessary.

If prudes and prohibitionist types weren't so strongly waging the ridiculous war against drugs, there wouldn't even be an issue with shady types smuggling marijuana through the border.

I'm a little bit confused. Are you advocating murder on street corners by the hands of citizens?

Let me put your confusion to rest.

Yes.

Thugs attack cabbie, passenger | Philadelphia Daily News | 01/30/2012

When the cabbie got out of the car to see what was going on, the passenger ran away and the teens turned on the cabbie. They punched him in the face, kicked him and threw a liquid on him, police said.

Despite being outnumbered, the cabbie grabbed a tire iron from his trunk, at which time the teens ran away. The driver flagged down a police officer, and the three boys were arrested. They were charged as juveniles with aggravated assault and related offenses.

One little tire iron made a big difference.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

They are using armored cars like Brinks trucks. I doubt your popgun would be effective. The armored cars themselves, if you noticed, are unmanned. The surveillance crew is elsewhere, and you don't know where.

Yes.

When the cabbie got out of the car to see what was going on, the passenger ran away and the teens turned on the cabbie. They punched him in the face, kicked him and threw a liquid on him, police said.

Despite being outnumbered, the cabbie grabbed a tire iron from his trunk, at which time the teens ran away. The driver flagged down a police officer, and the three boys were arrested. They were charged as juveniles with aggravated assault and related offenses.

Sorry, but our citizens are not only required by law to be, but are better than just gunning down people on the street corner. Drug dealer or not, you're no better than them if you become a wanton murderer. In fact, you'd be worse than most of them. And that's what you're advocating. Murder.

Cold blooded, calculated murder.

Have you murdered before?

Last edited:

Yes.

Sorry, but our citizens are not only required by law to be, but are better than just gunning down people on the street corner. Drug dealer or not, you're no better than them if you become a wanton murderer. In fact, you'd be worse than most of them. And that's what you're advocating. Murder.

That's a good question!

I don't consider taking out the trash murder, nor putting down a dangerous animal. They are public services.

Yes.

That's a good question!

I don't consider taking out the trash murder, nor putting down a dangerous animal. They are public services.

And yet you preach about morals and ethics.

You're a joke.

That's a good question!

And yet you preach about morals and ethics.

You're a joke.

You must have me confused with someone else.

Yes.

If he was able to get to his trunk, open it and bring out a tire iron those kids were not a significant threat at all. And he's damn lucky one (or more) of them didn't have a gun -- or a few of them didn't have knives. Because you can only hit one at a time with a tire iron while another one is planting six inches of steel in your liver.

This story is somewhat hyped.

Yes.

If he was able to get to his trunk, open it and bring out a tire iron those kids were not a significant threat at all. And he's damn lucky one (or more) of them didn't have a gun -- or a few of them didn't have knives. Because you can only hit one at a time with a tire iron while another one is planting six inches of steel in your liver.

This story is somewhat hyped.

I fully agree with you. The cabbie should have been armed and not at all picky about use it.

The police cannot stop rule by thugs. It is up to the people to do it while they retain the right to do so.

Talking with the local Police Chief in his office one afternoon when he reminded me "When seconds count, I'm only 2 minutes away."
My gun is seconds away..........

Forum List

Back