Police Abuse Woman for Filming – Follow-up

I was definitely singled out because I was recording. Possibly also because I was dressed as a French Maid, holding a feather duster, and taller than the arresting officer

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In the first place, this happened last year.

Secondly, the woman heard in the video, Lindsay Wainwright, was a participant with other OWS "activist's" who went into a bank and pretended to dust the place as a part of a "clean the banks" action.

TOMORROW: Stand Up for Your Right to Film Police Actions in Hartford | Occupy Hartford ? We stand in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street, and the rest of Occupy Together around the U.S. and the world

In case you don't know...that's called "trespassing," one of the crimes she was arrested for and the reason the cops were there.

Of course, to hear her tell it, she and her friends were just walking down the street minding their own business when the big, bad cop showed up and started harassing them for no reason.

Cop Block.org (your link) encourages their readers to create confrontations with the police and record them:

"...We highlight the double standard that some grant to those with badges by pointing to and supporting those harmed. By documenting police actions whether they are illegal, immoral or just a waste of time and resources then putting direct pressure on the individuals responsible (ideally while recording and then later sharing), we can work together to bring about transparency and have a real impact...."

So...save the tears for poor little, innocent Lindsay.

In the first place, this happened last year.

Secondly, the woman heard in the video, Lindsay Wainwright, was a participant with other OWS "activist's" who went into a bank and pretended to dust the place as a part of a "clean the banks" action.

TOMORROW: Stand Up for Your Right to Film Police Actions in Hartford | Occupy Hartford ? We stand in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street, and the rest of Occupy Together around the U.S. and the world

In case you don't know...that's called "trespassing," one of the crimes she was arrested for and the reason the cops were there.

Of course, to hear her tell it, she and her friends were just walking down the street minding their own business when the big, bad cop showed up and started harassing them for no reason.

Cop Block.org (your link) encourages their readers to create confrontations with the police and record them:

"...We highlight the double standard that some grant to those with badges by pointing to and supporting those harmed. By documenting police actions whether they are illegal, immoral or just a waste of time and resources then putting direct pressure on the individuals responsible (ideally while recording and then later sharing), we can work together to bring about transparency and have a real impact...."

So...save the tears for poor little, innocent Lindsay.

In a public place there can only be a trespass allegation if a person refuses to leave when asked, according to the story they complied with the request and was on their way home. It appears the cop stepped on it on this one, too bad the gal had to pay for a lawyer, but that is sometimes the cost of activism.

As I was arrested, the police officer did not specify what I was being charged with. After I was arrested, I waited alone in the car for about 15 minutes. Then the officers opened the car door to ask me if I was wearing underwear. Apparently one of the security guards from the bank had been screaming about being able to see my vagina, which would have been odd, as I was wearing full tights and boy shorts. The police then asked me an array of other questions, which I refused to answer, about Occupy Hartford and about the action itself.

On the way to the station, my arresting officer pulled over and asked me for my personal information so that he could fill out my arrest form. He then told me that I would be released with a PTA (promise to appear). Once we got to the station, however, the desk sergeant decided that I should be held on $5000 bail. At this point, I was finally told what I had been charged with: disorderly conduct and (retroactive) trespassing. I was also told that the bail commissioner would be stopping by around 5 or 6 if I wanted to discuss overturning the bail. I used a phone call to talk to my Occupy Hartford friends, and we decided to wait until 6 to see if I could talk to the bail commissioner.

She went inside the bank and started cleaning it with her friends. She was not outside protesting.

DEAR SUPERCHIEF: I was arrested for filming in public and held in jail for 9 hours on $5000 bail in a french maid costume | SUPERCHIEF

Forum List

Back