pistorius not mentally ill when he killed gf

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
ETORIA, South Africa (AP) — A panel of mental health experts has concluded that Oscar Pistorius was not suffering from a mental illness when he killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in his home last year, the chief prosecutor at the athlete's murder trial said Monday.

Panel: Pistorius not mentally ill during killing

having lived in the land of gun owners and gun nuts all my life....i cannot think of one drunk redneck who has shot his gf/wife/women at night like this.....not one....not a meth head...no one....funny that...hell most are waking ya up and telling you to arm yourself....but seriously....when my hubby gets outta bed at night....esp to arm himself and check on whatever noise he has heard...he will wake me up...he will know where everyone in the house is ...locate everyone before going to the noise...and damn sure before firing a gun .....in my home....

i have been watching this on sky news and they love this man in south africa....i do not know how this will play out....is he gonna be the african oj?

Granny says, "Dat's right - he didn't have a leg to stand on...

Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in prison
Oct 21,`14 ) -- Oscar Pistorius was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison for killing Reeva Steenkamp by a South African judge who cited the "gross negligence" the runner showed when he shot his girlfriend multiple times through a toilet cubicle door in his home.
However, legal experts said the section of law Judge Thokozile Masipa quoted when she announced the double-amputee Olympic athlete's sentence provides for a maximum of five years in prison and Pistorius could be released after 10 months in jail to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest. Masipa also sentenced Pistorius to three years in prison for unlawfully firing a gun in a restaurant in a separate incident weeks before Steenkamp's 2013 shooting death. She ordered that sentence to be wholly suspended.

Masipa delivered her ruling after reviewing prosecution arguments for a tough sentence as well as the defense case for a more lenient punishment for Pistorius. Pistorius killed Steenkamp on Valentine's Day last year, shooting her through a toilet door in his home. Pistorius testified that the shooting was an accident because he mistook his girlfriend for a nighttime intruder.

Masipa convicted him of culpable homicide, or negligent killing, but acquitted him of murder. Pistorius stood as the judge announced his sentence, and then left the courtroom and walked down a flight of stairs that lead to holding cells. His sentence starts immediately.

News from The Associated Press

Granny says, "Dat's right - dey oughta hang him from his nubby lil' legs...

Oscar Pistorius released into house arrest for four years
Monday 19th October, 2015 - One time Olympic hero Oscar Pistorius has been released from a South Africa prison, a year after being convicted for gunning down his girl friend in an incident he said was a terrible mistake.
The double-amputee Olympian was released on Monday and placed under house arrest, Correctional Services spokesman Manelisi Wolela said. However, it was not immediately known where he will serve his house arrest. Speculations were that he will be moving into his uncle's house a mansion in an upmarket Pretoria suburb where he lived during his trial. His previous home was sold for 220,000 pounds to pay his legal fees. Last week a South African parole board approved Pistorius' move to house arrest and correctional supervision for the next four years. Under house arrest, Pistorius will have to live as per certain conditions until his sentence ends on Oct 20, 2019. He will have to continue receiving psychotherapy and cannot handle any firearms, the corrections department previously said.

e58e5de904bcde79.jpg

The correctional services department had originally said Pistorius would be released from the Pretoria jail Tuesday in line with a decision by a parole board at the prison. "The handling of the actual placement is an operational matter of the local management, and how they handle it is their prerogative that is carried out in the best interest of all parties concerned - the victims, the offender and the Department of Correction Services," Wolela added. As per South African law, an offender sentenced to five years or less in jail can be released after serving one-sixth of the term in this case 10 months for the Olympian. The case has generated worldwide media attention. Despite having both legs amputated below the knee as a toddler, Pistorius rose to excel in sports, representing his country in the Paralympic Games and the 2012 London Olympics.

Pistorius, 28, had been in prison since October last year and has thus served one year of his five years term for culpable homicide in the killing of Reeva Steenkamp, a model and law school graduate, on Valentine's Day in 2013. Pistorius, also known as the "Blade Runner", has throughout his trial maintained that he thought Steenkamp was an intruder when he shot her. He was acquitted of murder last year, but prosecutors have appealed the trial verdict of culpable homicide, or manslaughter, and will seek a murder conviction again at South Africa's Supreme Court on Nov 3. If convicted of murder by a panel of five judges at the appeal, Pistorius faces going back to prison for 15 years, the minimum sentence for murder in South Africa, which no longer has the death penalty.

Oscar Pistorius released into house arrest for four years

ETORIA, South Africa (AP) — A panel of mental health experts has concluded that Oscar Pistorius was not suffering from a mental illness when he killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in his home last year, the chief prosecutor at the athlete's murder trial said Monday.

Panel: Pistorius not mentally ill during killing

having lived in the land of gun owners and gun nuts all my life....i cannot think of one drunk redneck who has shot his gf/wife/women at night like this.....not one....not a meth head...no one....funny that...hell most are waking ya up and telling you to arm yourself....but seriously....when my hubby gets outta bed at night....esp to arm himself and check on whatever noise he has heard...he will wake me up...he will know where everyone in the house is ...locate everyone before going to the noise...and damn sure before firing a gun .....in my home....

i have been watching this on sky news and they love this man in south africa....i do not know how this will play out....is he gonna be the african oj?

Just goes to show the world's priorities: popular sports hero or pretty girl? Predictably, the sports hero takes precedence. Are few of those and pretty girls are pretty much a dime a dozen.

Pistorius stumps into court...
rolleyes.gif

Pistorius walks on stumps in court ahead of murder sentence
Jun 15,`16 -- Oscar Pistorius removed his prostheses and hobbled on his stumps in a South African courtroom Wednesday as part of his defense team's argument that the double-amputee athlete, convicted of murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, is a vulnerable man who deserves leniency when he is sentenced.
Defense lawyer Barry Roux asked Pistorius to remove the prostheses and the former track star and Olympian, who had taken off his suit and put on a T-shirt and running shorts during a recess, then hobbled in front of Judge Thokozile Masipa. The demonstration drew gasps from some onlookers in the courtroom and Pistorius became tearful. "I don't want to overplay disability," Roux said ahead of the demonstration, "but the time has come that we must just look (at Pistorius) with different eyes." Chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel, however, said Pistorius should get the minimum sentence of 15 years in prison for murder, arguing that he had not shown genuine remorse a well as noting the seriousness of the crime and the devastating impact on Steenkamp's family. A judge can reduce the minimum sentence of 15 years for murder in some circumstances.

Masipa will deliver Pistorius' sentence after hearings end this week. Pistorius is currently under house arrest and awaiting a new sentence after an appeals court overturned an initial manslaughter conviction against him and changed that to murder for shooting Steenkamp at his home in 2013. Walking in court on his stumps while dressed in sportswear emblazoned with the logos of his former sponsor Nike, Pistorius was unsteady at times, holding onto wooden desks and helped by a woman at one point. He then returned to a bench where he sat alone, head bowed, and wiped away tears. When he had his chance to address the judge, Nel asked Masipa not to forget that Pistorius shot four times into a toilet cubicle from close range with no justification when he killed Steenkamp. "He intended to shoot someone in the bathroom. He did," Nel said. "Pity will play no role in the sentence."

b6a598047ca848918af1fae926ea66c5_0-big.jpg

Oscar Pistorius, left, arrives at the High Court in Pretoria, South Africa, Wednesday, June 15, 2016, for his sentencing proceedings. Kim Martin, a cousin of Reeva Steenkamp, has testified in the South African court at the sentencing hearing for Pistorius, who was convicted of murdering girlfriend Steenkamp in his home in 2013.​

The defense's argument is that Pistorius, a multiple Paralympic champion and a history-making amputee athlete who ran at the 2012 Olympics, was a scared disabled man when he shot Steenkamp through the toilet door. Pistorius was on his stumps when he fired the fatal shots; he testified at his murder trial that he felt vulnerable and thought an intruder was in the house. Roux said Wednesday: "It was not the man winning gold medals that must be judged" but rather "a man standing on his stumps at 3 o'clock in the morning in the dark that must be judged." Prosecutors charged that Pistorius intentionally killed Steenkamp after a fight.

Nel also addressed the argument that Pistorius is a "broken man" because of the grief from killing Steenkamp and the trauma that followed as the world focused on his case. Nel referred to the emotional testimony a day earlier of Barry Steenkamp, father of the victim. "If you ever want to talk about a broken man, we saw a broken man there," Nel said of Barry Steenkamp. Nel repeated Barry Steenkamp's request that graphic photographs showing the fatal wounds Pistorius inflicted on his girlfriend - including a severe head injury - should be made public in the hope of deterring people from doing what Pistorius did.

MORE

Forum List

Back