Pistol, Turned in to help Law Enforcement with possible crime

White 6

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
A friend spotted a pistol, tossed out on railroad tracks in a rural area of Madison County TN, while stopping for the tracks. He had his wife retrieve it. It was a little used, late model, mid-price range automatic, loaded with personal defense ammo, 3 shy of a full magazine, counting one in the chamber, that had been pitched out as someone crossed the tracks. They avoided both avoided leaving fingerprints during retrieval, not wanting to spoil possible evidence. There was a young man, not particularly impressive in appearance standing around, less than 50 feet away. My friend's wife held up the weapon, called out, asking if it was his, while my friend had his out of sight, but at the ready. He actually reached down, felt his pants and replied "no, not mine." She brought it back to the truck, for good reason. He called me. Both of us thought it possibly associated with a crime, hopefully just a burglary and should be checked by Law Enforcement. We are both law and order types, carry permit holders and retired military.

He turned it in by contacting and coordinating with a trusted neighbor, member of TN Highway Patrol, who contacted Madison County Sherriff's Department. Sheriff's Department accepted custody of the weapon and thanked my friend for his assistance.

We thought it would be returned if not needed in an investigation. It has been several months. My friend contacted the Madison County Sheriff's Department to inquire if they were through investigating and if so, when would they be returning it? He was told "We don't do that".

That's not right. It was turned in as a favor to law enforcement, not as a gift or for safeguarding, but to possibly aid in investigation as is their function. If there is no claim on this weapon, it was not and is not theirs to keep, sell or dispose of. The last person to have lawful control and possession of this very nice weapon is a 30 plus year Army Combat Veteran, home owner, solid citizen, licensed weapons carrier, certified by State of Tennessee and Department of Homeland Defense.

Two questions: 1. Is this common across law enforcement? 2. Is it right?

Sadly, a civilians definition of right and law enFORCEment is rarely on the same sheet of music.
Write the news paper and tell them the story- see how honest they are.

A friend spotted a pistol, tossed out on railroad tracks in a rural area of Madison County TN, while stopping for the tracks. He had his wife retrieve it. It was a little used, late model, mid-price range automatic, loaded with personal defense ammo, 3 shy of a full magazine, counting one in the chamber, that had been pitched out as someone crossed the tracks. They avoided both avoided leaving fingerprints during retrieval, not wanting to spoil possible evidence. There was a young man, not particularly impressive in appearance standing around, less than 50 feet away. My friend's wife held up the weapon, called out, asking if it was his, while my friend had his out of sight, but at the ready. He actually reached down, felt his pants and replied "no, not mine." She brought it back to the truck, for good reason. He called me. Both of us thought it possibly associated with a crime, hopefully just a burglary and should be checked by Law Enforcement. We are both law and order types, carry permit holders and retired military.

He turned it in by contacting and coordinating with a trusted neighbor, member of TN Highway Patrol, who contacted Madison County Sherriff's Department. Sheriff's Department accepted custody of the weapon and thanked my friend for his assistance.

We thought it would be returned if not needed in an investigation. It has been several months. My friend contacted the Madison County Sheriff's Department to inquire if they were through investigating and if so, when would they be returning it? He was told "We don't do that".

That's not right. It was turned in as a favor to law enforcement, not as a gift or for safeguarding, but to possibly aid in investigation as is their function. If there is no claim on this weapon, it was not and is not theirs to keep, sell or dispose of. The last person to have lawful control and possession of this very nice weapon is a 30 plus year Army Combat Veteran, home owner, solid citizen, licensed weapons carrier, certified by State of Tennessee and Department of Homeland Defense.

Its called safekeeping here in CA. Not sure in other States. #2- Iffy one. It could be stolen and unknown now. I think filing a claim is appropriate and after a set time it becomes yours. If not you didn't lose anything but the time. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sadly, a civilians definition of right and law enFORCEment is rarely on the same sheet of music.
Write the news paper and tell them the story- see how honest they are.
Makes seem foolish to try to help. It is not the dollar value, thou it is probably 500-700, we both have more/better and can afford more if we want them. It just seems extremely short sighted of them. There was an 85 year old lady here in town, had to shoot a man climbing through her bathroom window. He fell into the tub with the broken glass. JPD came, had the body removed, investigated, took her pistol. After the investigation, they returned it, thoroughly cleaned, lubed with a light coat, having replaced all her cankered green old ammunition and told her call us again if you need us.

Its called safekeeping here in CA. Not sure in other States. #2- Iffy one.
Always thought (right or wrong) California might lean toward being a gun grabber state. Thanks for reply.

Makes seem foolish to try to help. It is not the dollar value, thou it is probably 500-700, we both have more/better and can afford more if we want them. It just seems extremely short sighted of them. There was an 85 year old lady here in town, had to shoot a man climbing through her bathroom window. He fell into the tub with the broken glass. JPD came, had the body removed, investigated, took her pistol. After the investigation, they returned it, thoroughly cleaned, lubed with a light coat, having replaced all her cankered green old ammunition and told her call us again if you need us.

That gun actually belonged to her. This one doesn't belong to you.

Your mistake is believing the government is on your side.

That gun actually belonged to her. This one doesn't belong to you.

Your mistake is believing the government is on your side.
Unfortunately, you may be right.

Its called safekeeping here in CA. Not sure in other States. #2- Iffy one.
Always thought (right or wrong) California might lean toward being a gun grabber state. Thanks for reply.
I think the biggest problem (as TAZ says) is that you are not the owner. The red tape here in CA is worse than a new legal purchase, as in retrieving your own that was confiscated. I do know that the LE will eventually destroy or auction it if it doesn't show up on the AFS.

I'd say you did right W6, not so sure about the leo's policy. One Q does nag me, in that were you positive you weren't on the tail end of some crime scene that you may have narrowly avoided?

~S~

Sadly some local police departments treat found weapons like old bicycles which are eventually discarded unless someone claims them. I always wondered about well publicized "gun buyouts" where unidentified citizens turn in firearms for a flat rate of about $20. Apparently the Police aren't required to check serial numbers and return the weapons to the rightful owners if they are stolen.

Forum List

Back