Physical principles of burning firewood

Selivan

Gold Member
Jan 17, 2018
USSR
We live in the modern world, we use gas, gasoline, electricity and nuclear energy.
We forgot that there is such a fuel as firewood ...

--------------------------------------------
Nevertheless, in Russia and America, the number of people who buy their own house is low, they use firewood. :04:

But..
Very little information is available on the Internet. There they write about the magnificent metal stoves and fireplaces ... They write that you will get a mono ENERGY if you buy this oven ...

Let's understand ...

===================================
Theory of wood heating
Fundamental and Building Physics

Types of firewood?

Wood differs:
1. Moisture of wood
2. Density of wood
3. Resin content
4. Building terms (for wood they are uninteresting)
---------------------------------------
1. The moisture content of the wood is the percentage of water in the tree in percentages ...
For firewood, you should have a moisture content of less than 20 percent, so firewood is harvested in winter, then they are dried in summer and used for heating for the next winter

2. Density of wood
The denser the wood, the longer it burns
From low to high
- Aspen, alder
- Christmas tree, pine
- Fruit trees
- Birch,
- Oak

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
There is a misconception that OAK - the best firewood, since they "burn long and hot" ....

Therefore, oak firewood is 3 times more expensive than fir trees ..

-----------------
It's half true ...
The quality of oak wood burning depends on the Construction of your brick Ovens

---------------------------
I'm about to finish about firewood and move on to another issue, without which you will not understand the difference between firewood

• Banned
Now...
Let's digress from the tree species, take a simple tree spruce and calculate which principles of burning exist in this sinful world ...

1. Smoldering burning
If you were building a fire, you know that it is smoky and hard to burn ...
Smoldering burning occurs when the first arson of firewood ...
- Burning temperature of wood = 450 deg.
The color of the flame is red and black ...
smoke ...
-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
2. Conventional combustion
If you are building a fire, and have your own. The stove, you know that it burns beautifully ...
- Burning temperature of firewood = 650 deg.
Color of flame - bright yellow
Smoke is not present
This process is used in conventional brick kilns or brick fireplaces ..
In Russia, this is permitted, according to the building rules
3. Slow burning
If you like Extreme on Nature, or have a metal Oven, melted burning then you know that it burns badly, but for a long time
- Burning temperature of firewood = 450 to 650 degrees
The burning time and temperature are determined by the amount of air that enters the furnace
Color of flame - bright yellow
Smoke is not present
This process is used in Finnish metal furnaces, which they sell to idiots around the world, especially Americans ...
In America and Europe this is allowed, but in Russia it is forbidden.
4. Pyrolysis combustion
- Burning temperature of wood = 850 to 1000 degrees
The burning time and temperature are determined by the amount of air that enters the furnace
Flame color - red with black streaks
Smoke is not present
Invented by the Russian steelworker at the beginning of the 19th century
This process is used in Industry
In Russia, this is fond of "especially clever stove-makers," but for general use this process is banned
In America and Europe this process is not used
:cool:

Last edited:
Not sure what you're on about here. I burn firewood here in Carolina. So do most people.

It's not rocket surgery.

• Banned
Not sure what you're on about here. I burn firewood here in Carolina. So do most people.

It's not rocket surgery.
I've been burning firewood all my life (50 years) throughout the entire Soviet Union, beginning with the "subtropics" in the South and ending with the Arctic in the North :04:
-------------------------
In addition, I put brick furnaces and consult some Russian firms :04:

Last edited:
Thrifty Americans don't burn firewood.

They get themselves put on countless direct-mail lists.

Then they tightly roll the free paper that rolls into their mailbox and burn that instead.

Pity we can't burn internet-delivered spam.

• Banned
Thrifty Americans don't burn firewood.

They get themselves put on countless direct-mail lists.

Then they tightly roll the free paper that rolls into their mailbox and burn that instead.

Pity we can't burn internet-delivered spam.
It's funny ...
Refer to American sites where people talk about survival, building a house and living in the forest ...
They will break your head

We live in the modern world, we use gas, gasoline, electricity and nuclear energy.
We forgot that there is such a fuel as firewood ...

--------------------------------------------
Nevertheless, in Russia and America, the number of people who buy their own house is low, they use firewood. :04:

But..
Very little information is available on the Internet. There they write about the magnificent metal stoves and fireplaces ... They write that you will get a mono ENERGY if you buy this oven ...

Let's understand ...

===================================
Theory of wood heating
Fundamental and Building Physics

Types of firewood?

Wood differs:
1. Moisture of wood
2. Density of wood
3. Resin content
4. Building terms (for wood they are uninteresting)
---------------------------------------
1. The moisture content of the wood is the percentage of water in the tree in percentages ...
For firewood, you should have a moisture content of less than 20 percent, so firewood is harvested in winter, then they are dried in summer and used for heating for the next winter

2. Density of wood
The denser the wood, the longer it burns
From low to high
- Aspen, alder
- Christmas tree, pine
- Fruit trees
- Birch,
- Oak

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
There is a misconception that OAK - the best firewood, since they "burn long and hot" ....

Therefore, oak firewood is 3 times more expensive than fir trees ..

-----------------
It's half true ...
The quality of oak wood burning depends on the Construction of your brick Ovens

---------------------------
I'm about to finish about firewood and move on to another issue, without which you will not understand the difference between firewood
Is it different than burning any other wood ?

I live on an off-grid Alaskan homestead. I burn spruce and birch because that is what I have available. I don't like cottonwood much because it doesn't provide much heat for the volume. I definitely notice the difference in how long the wood is seasoned and how well it heats. Having a "tuned" stove also helps because the airflow is very important, too.
The most difficult dilemma faced right now is not so much heating as refrigeration. Until the root cellar and ice house are built and established, we have to rely on food that requires little refrigeration. I know how to cure meat, make cheese and fermented foods, but storage is a challenge. Good thing I enjoy a challenge...

I live on an off-grid Alaskan homestead. I burn spruce and birch because that is what I have available. I don't like cottonwood much because it doesn't provide much heat for the volume. I definitely notice the difference in how long the wood is seasoned and how well it heats. Having a "tuned" stove also helps because the airflow is very important, too.
The most difficult dilemma faced right now is not so much heating as refrigeration. Until the root cellar and ice house are built and established, we have to rely on food that requires little refrigeration. I know how to cure meat, make cheese and fermented foods, but storage is a challenge. Good thing I enjoy a challenge...

Try to chat here ...
Forums - Survival Forum - Off The Grid - SHTF Prepping
And your idea is very pleasant to me and you reason very correctly

Russian technology...

pandh.jpg

Try to chat here ...
Forums - Survival Forum - Off The Grid - SHTF Prepping
And your idea is very pleasant to me and you reason very correctly
I'll go look, but my batteries are running low until tomorrow. Thanks for the link. Do you live "off grid"?

I'll go look, but my batteries are running low until tomorrow. Thanks for the link. Do you live "off grid"?

The owner of that forum is a former American policeman ...
I do not like the police and they do not like me. :04:
------------------------
But the forum is good, it "spread about a year" back, and before it was dull
====================
If you register there, then I will prompt for the first time with whom you should communicate ... I will do this in private messages :04:

Last edited:

The owner of that forum is a former American policeman ...
I do not like the police and they do not like me. :04:
------------------------
But the forum is good, it "spread about a year" back, and before it was dull
Thanks. I'm not a prepper, just like living in a simpler time and way. I've been raising milk goats for many years and will add chickens this summer. I've been researching vardos and if I can afford a horse, I may add such a thing to my farm.

Thanks. I'm not a prepper, just like living in a simpler time and way. I've been raising milk goats for many years and will add chickens this summer. I've been researching vardos and if I can afford a horse, I may add such a thing to my farm.
I envy you

I envy you
It's actually interesting. I've learned to make soap, cheese, and mead. I also culture kombucha and sourdough starter. Instead of an electric slow cooker, I use a cast iron dutch oven on the wood burning stove. I have plans for a root cellar and an ice house, too. But first things first, I have to get the barn up this summer. It will be lots better when I am not also working full time somewhere else. Then, I suppose I will still not have enough time, but I will have lots more less time.

Forum List

Back