Philosophy forum

So, until you can prove that I am indeed a liar, and that the news article never existed, you can cease and desist calling me a liar.That's not how it works. The BoP is on you to produce the article.

I cannot indeed link you because it is not on the "free" internet.

Then it's not real or I'm skeptical that only one source would have it, whatever you're talking about. If you can't link it, provide the name of the publication, the date published, etc like you would cite it in an essay.

So, until you can prove that I am indeed a liar, and that the news article never existed, you can cease and desist calling me a liar.That's not how it works. The BoP is on you to produce the article.

I cannot indeed link you because it is not on the "free" internet.

Then it's not real or I'm skeptical that only one source would have it, whatever you're talking about. If you can't link it, provide the name of the publication, the date published, etc like you would cite it in an essay.

What we're talking about is this OP:
Along with sex ed here in South Dakota, it is being voted on to whether or not to teach masturbation in the school system as a part of the planned parenthood seminar for safe sex seminars that they hold.

Please link this source. Thanks!

I guess it would depend on what grade they are going to teach it in. Sometimes, we just have to let children be children without getting into the sexual part of life yet. If they are freshman in highschool, I say go for it so long as its not going overboard teaching the children that they should run out right away after class and get the parents to buy dildos and such for them. I think education on masturbation is a good thing, but I really dont think its going to have an impact on the kids that just wanna have sex. By the time they teach it in schools, the children probably already know what masturbation is and have experimented with it already.

What do you think?

Jamie

Followed by this 99 posts later...

The Brookings Register Newspaper. I dont have a link for it and you have to pay to get the news online.

They are voting on it but from what I gather, it would be a discussion-only curriculum where they give the girls information on dildos and I dont know what the boys would be taught exactly. I dont think it would be a show and tell type thing..just a discussion of why its safer to masturbate than get an STD. I would hope that they dont bring dildos and pocket pussies to class to show the kids and I dont think thats what it entails.

Some parents were displeased with even a conversation about masturbation in public school so I think thats why it made the paper.

I dont see anything wrong with them telling the children that masturbation will prevent STD's and pregnancy. I think if they are going to do this that they should also teach them about safe sex but then again, that would be defeating the purpose of them wanting the children to masturbate over having sex even tho thats not going to stop any kid from doing so.

I apologize for the lateness in my post, I had to work...some of us cant stay on the internet all day long posting on forums.

Jamie

Jamie

Also of interest is the last bit about the lateness of the post... The quoted part from "Jamie" with the CNN & Yahoo Answers links is from a half hour before this 1, so a half hour lapsed between the CNN, etc links and the info about what paper the article was supposedly from. It seems to me if "Jamie" had really wanted to give us that info it would have been the first thing posted, not a 1/2 hour later later.

It's also laughable to think "Jamie"/Vinny could handle a philosophy debate. So far anytime anyone looks sideways then them Vinny goes into a ballistic flowery prose rage full of ad hominem attacks and doublethink. They actually believe I'm being too hard on them. Me! I'm like a happy puppy compared to some of the pit bulls on here, and they can't take what I dish out. :lol:

Oh poop, they're trying to get a worthy thread established and you have to counter with pop culture, really? C'mon. We're all engaged in philosophy here, wouldn't it be interesting to check out some of the greats? Its said to be, academically, one of the more interesting roads to poverty.
Yes, there are certainly many candidates here for deep delvings here, aristotle. :cuckoo:

The idea is ludicrous and is treated with the derision it deserves, its main proponents cannot even handle some light banter, and they want to explore the mysteries of the universe?

Even Col decker laughs at such nonsense.

I think the religion forum is sufficient for philsophy. But I would not object to another subforum.

The undercurrent on this one is confusing IMO.

so... it's been six pages of the OP not being able to provide a source?

Sounds like a pretty pointless thread....

It was a newspaper article from The Brookings Register which I stated that if they wanted a link online to it, they have to pay for the "e edition". The news thats on the webpage is not the news that is in the actual newspaper that you have to purchase. You have to purchase the newspaper online to see it. I told her that if she wanted to she could call the Brookings Register and ask them what issue it was in because I dont remember. It was around July 15th or so. It wasnt that big of a deal because the issue isnt WHERE it originated from.. the topic was "was it right to teach masturbation in schools". Shes just nit picking and trying to get attention. Its the only way she knows how.

Jamie

so... it's been six pages of the OP not being able to provide a source?

Sounds like a pretty pointless thread....

It was a newspaper article from The Brookings Register which I stated that if they wanted a link online to it, they have to pay for the "e edition". The news thats on the webpage is not the news that is in the actual newspaper that you have to purchase. You have to purchase the newspaper online to see it. I told her that if she wanted to she could call the Brookings Register and ask them what issue it was in because I dont remember. It was around July 15th or so. It wasnt that big of a deal because the issue isnt WHERE it originated from.. the topic was "was it right to teach masturbation in schools". Shes just nit picking and trying to get attention. Its the only way she knows how.

Jamie

If YOU want to retain any credibility YOU will call them and find out what issue it was in. Why should anyone else do YOUR homework?

And clearly you don't know me all that well... if I wanted attention all I'd have to do is put up an avatar with me in a bikini again. :lol:

You'd think that something as controversial as teaching masturbation in schools in SD would get a little press outside of the Brookings Register, but Google utterly fails to find a trace of it... well, except for the original thread started by "Jamie".

"south dakota" + masturbation - Google Search

Although it did turn up a few interesting links I bookmarked for later... :eusa_angel:

For laughs here's a list of news items from the Brookings Register about their schools. You don't have to read the whole list, I can tell ya upfront there's no mention of teaching masturbation in schools.

New Brookings school board sworn in
Two members of the Brookings School District Board of Education completed their terms Monday, and th

School board approves $27.6 million budget
The Brookings School District Board of Education at its July meeting approved a $27.6 million budget

School board hires Phase III architect
The Brookings School District Board of Education on Wednesday hired a Sioux Falls architectural firm

Stimulus funding $$ to shore up SD schools
Local and area school districts having trouble funding special education and low-income student prog

Employees bid farewell to Brookings School District
Twelve employees within the Brookings School District announced their plans to retire at the end of

More than 360 to graduate from area schools
Over the next few weekends , more than 360 students will graduate from local and area high schools.

School board looks at closed campus for frosh
The Brookings School District Board of Education spent more than an hour Monday discussing the curre

School guidelines for H1N1 change
"We had 1,800 letters ready to go, stuffed in envelopes and ready to mail. We pulled them. Good thin

School board ponders future, takes look at space issues
In a rare daytime meeting Monday, the Brookings School Board rolled up its collective sleeves and to

School district planning policy on cyberbullying
UberReview.com photo A message like this on a child?s computer constitutes cyberbullying, and local

Cossack athletes face tougher school standards
Sioux Valley athletes may have to adhere to stricter requirements with regard to grades and training

Area schools take final break before end of term
With the Easter holiday fast approaching, area students will be observing their last vacation before

School board members have desire to serve
There were three open positions to fill on the Brookings School District Board of Education, and th

Schools get heart-conscious with portable defibrillators
Kids die of heart failure, too. Every school year, it seems, there are reports of a child going into

No election for mayor, school board
The deadline for filing nominating petitions has passed, and all the candidates for the April 14 cit

School Board: One in, one out, one retiring
While one Brookings School District Board of Education member announces his decision to run for anot

High school talent show rescheduled
The Brookings High School Talent Show has been rescheduled, according to organizers.
The

School board settles on city land purchase
After more than a year of debate, the Brookings School District Board of Education unanimously moved

Petitions ready for council, school board seats
Local residents interested in running for one of three city council or three school board positions

SDSU wind center helps schools use, teach wind energy to kids
South Dakota State University faculty members and students are providing the expertise to help eleme

SDSU wind center helps schools use, teach wind energy to kids
South Dakota State University faculty members and students are providing the expertise to help eleme

Junior Achievement ethics course offered at Brookings High School
Junior Achievement of Brookings this week will implement "JA Excelling through Ethics," a one-day pr

School Board adds new terms for discrimination
Lawrence Novotny, of Brookings, requested that the Brookings School District Board of Education cons

Elkton schools to begin pilot laptop program
Seniors at Elkton High School this spring will have a whole new world opened up to them in the way o

Sioux Valley School Board considers 'laptop school' at Dec. 8 meeting
Three teachers appeared at the Dec. 8 Sioux Valley school board meeting to discuss with its members

School Board expands BHS summer school
Following the lead of a high school in southeastern South Dakota, Brookings School Board members act

Brookings schools to get much earlier start next fall
Brookings students will lose two weeks of their customary summer break in 2009, according to Superi

Council to sell property near new Camelot school
Brookings city councilors last week decided to sell some city land near the new Camelot Intermediat

Flandreau schools president takes leave
Flandreau School Board President Dave Ahlers has taken a leave of absence from his position in li

Board sets school transfer policy
The Brookings School Board on Monday passed a policy that will allow for "attendance grandfathering"

Merchant resigns from Brookings School Board
Members of the Brookings School District Board of Education will be one less as o f December. P a m

City schools to 'call home'
A little late in the game but with good intention Brookings schools have installed an instant messag

Groups, schools catching Christmas spirit
There is never a shortage of charities you can donate time and effort to around the holiday season,

School boundaries talk focuses on grandfathering students in '09
Brookings School District Board of Education members are still deciding exactly how the district wi

Elkton schools get automatic message system
Parents with children in the Elkton School District are now receiving automated, prerecorded message

School attendance zones proposed for 2009-10 term
Affecting the fewest families possible and equalization are the most important aspects, says Superi

Elkton School District opts out of its own opt-out
The Elkton Public School District is doing something almost unheard of these days it's giving money

Teens injured in Elkton school bus collision
Three teenagers, two from Elkton and the other from Aurora, sustained minor injuries Wednesday morni

Schools get A+ for test scores
Visitors at the first Brookings School Board meeting of the 2008-09 academic year left Monday night

Board begins to look at new school borders
The slight chill in the air over the past few days let residents know a new school year has begun, a

Schools polished and ready to welcome students
Going back to school that first day is a big deal. It takes a lot of preparation: there's the back-t

Council approves school district subsidy
Brookings city councilors decided unanimously on Tuesday evening that the city will pay the Brookin

School Board preps for Council
Monday's Brookings School District Board of Education meeting was a dress rehearsal for Superintende

Area districts set back-to-school events
Everyone is getting ready for the new school year, and the first day back in Brookings schools is a

School Board to review city subsidy
The issue of "in lieu of taxes," also known as the subsidy the Brookings School District receives fr

Back-to-school countdown has already begun
It's already back to school time as Brookings students, parents, teachers and staff get closer to t

Elkton district chosen for 'Winds for Schools'
The Elkton school system will soon have its own wind turbine cranking out electricity
The

2009 Brookings High School Athletic Awards - Most Inspirational Athlete
2009 Most Inspirational Athlete recipients include (from left): Front row - Morgan Fitts (girls' gol

City council considering 'Safe Routes to School'
City councilors last week discussed ways to create Safe Routes to School in Brookings.
Th

Ackman breaks school record at Drake Relays
Sara Ackman broke the school record in the discus for the South Dakota State track and field team at

Women's 4x400 relay team breaks SDSU school record
The Jackrabbit women?s track team once again competed at track meets in California and Iowa, and for

Schuh, Huss set school records at Duncan Invite
Stacy Huss and Michelle Schuch broke school records for the South Dakota State Jackrabbit women's tr

Jackrabbit men break school records
Two South Dakota State records fell at two different locations this weekend as the men's track team

Jacks break two school records at Iowa State
Two South Dakota State records fell at the second day of the Iowa State Classic held in Ames, Iowa h

School of Mines signs Luze
The South Dakota School of Mines women's basketball program along with head coach Barb Felderman are

Middle school window shot with pellet gun
Brookings police say someone used a BB or pellet gun to shoot a hole in a window at Mickelson Middle

Sale in school zone earns 2 years
A Brookings man who sold ecstasy near Central Elementary last May has been sentenced to two years in

Flandreau school board president arraigned
Flandreau School Board President Dave Ahlers made his first court appearance Wednesday on felony and

Well time wasted Amanda. I already told you that you cant get it off the net. I told you that you have to pay for the e edition in order to see it. You didnt believe me and you ended up wasting your time. Im through with you because this has gotten to the point of junior high nit picking. If you are hell bent on knowing whether it was a real article or not - simply call the Brookings Register tomorrow and ask for Katie. She can probably direct you to someone who can tell you the issue that it was in. If not, then just shut the fuck up because Im tired of reading your petty junior high wannabe valley girl shit. Ive got better things to discuss on here and you are doing nothing but wasting my time and I dont appreciate it.

If you are not supporting a philosophy forum, say so and go on about your business. If you are supporting it..state that and then go about your business.

As far as posting yourself in a bikini....Id say you said it all right there about your reasons for being here.

Jamie

Last edited:
More multi-quoting, sorry kids, I just hafta...

Well time wasted Amanda.

Hardly. You should see the rep pouring in and PMs congratulating me on the smackdown I've been handing you. Even from mods here. I'm building social capital, you're just failing.

I already told you that you cant get it off the net. I told you that you have to pay for the e edition in order to see it. You didnt believe me and you ended up wasting your time.
And I, and others, find it curious that no other news source is covering it. Like I said, if you want to end this epic FAIL you need to come up with the proof. It's no 1 else's job to prove you have a credible source.

Im through with you because this has gotten to the point of junior high nit picking. If you are hell bent on knowing whether it was a real article or not - simply call the Brookings Register tomorrow and ask for Katie. She can probably direct you to someone who can tell you the issue that it was in.

Are you new to political message boards? Not citing your source will get your post deleted at many of them, and you banned if you do it a few times. It's sort of key to how this works.

If not, then just shut the fuck up because Im tired of reading your petty junior high wannabe valley girl shit.
You tell me to STFU and then say what I'm doing is jr high school? :lol: The credibility gaps widens and widens.

Ive got better things to discuss on here and you are doing nothing but wasting my time and I dont appreciate it.
Oh snap! You don't appreciate it. :lol:

You're wasting time on the interweb, clearly you do not have anything better to do.

If you are not supporting a philosophy forum, say so and go on about your business. If you are supporting it..state that and then go about your business.
A mod already told you that you don't get to decide who can post what where. Do I need to go find the quote for you?

As far as posting yourself in a bikini....Id say you said it all right there about your reasons for being here.

Jamie

Oh no, not more jr high school attacks. :lol:

Well time wasted Amanda.

see? amanda has no life.

of coiurse, we could begin a thread to try and understand what is "life", and the various means we measure oiur self worth. some obviously measure their self worth via negative attention seeking and obsessing over minutia like...well...amanda, and some measure their self worth by participating in intelligent convo...like...well....yoiu. we can all discuss ppl, events, or ideas. i prefer to discuss ideas.

there are almost no end to reasonable discussion on matters great and small, although the bulk of philosophy is taken up with questions of god, our purpose, the nature of reality etc.

Ha ha, the 'deep thinkers' spend all their time attacking an 18 year old gal.

You two are precious, give them the forum Gunny, I would love to see more of this nonsense on parade! :lol:

Well time wasted Amanda.

see? amanda has no life.

of coiurse, we could begin a thread to try and understand what is "life", and the various means we measure oiur self worth. some obviously measure their self worth via negative attention seeking and obsessing over minutia like...well...amanda, and some measure their self worth by participating in intelligent convo...like...well....yoiu. we can all discuss ppl, events, or ideas. i prefer to discuss ideas.

there are almost no end to reasonable discussion on matters great and small, although the bulk of philosophy is taken up with questions of god, our purpose, the nature of reality etc.

:lol: If you only knew the truth. My life would give most people a heart attack. Just posting about it here caused so much uproar I had to stop.

You and your alter ego need to grow a thicker skin if you're going to last around here. If you can't take what I'm dishing out (holding your feet to the fire for a source) you're never going to be able to take the scorched earth approach of those here that get really nasty.

Want to discuss ideas? How about you just post as you and let the illusion fade away? There's an idea for you. It would help prevent those embarrassing situations where you sign Jamie at the end of your posts.

Well time wasted Amanda.

see? amanda has no life.

:lol: If you only knew the truth. My life would give most people a heart attack. Just posting about it here caused so much uproar I had to stop.

You and your alter ego need to grow a thicker skin if you're going to last around here. If you can't take what I'm dishing out (holding your feet to the fire for a source) you're never going to be able to take the scorched earth approach of those here that get really nasty.

Want to discuss ideas? How about you just post as you and let the illusion fade away? There's an idea for you. It would help prevent those embarrassing situations where you sign Jamie at the end of your posts.

Amanda -- what's your problem with the n00b? Why can't you go pick on some of the other n00bs around here? Illusion seems OK to me.

see? amanda has no life.

Amanda -- what's your problem with the n00b? Why can't you go pick on some of the other n00bs around here? Illusion seems OK to me.

If you've got no problem with posters that won't cite their sources or sock puppets then you have wouldn't have a problem with "Jamie"/Vinny. Some of us do, so I'm taking them to task.

amanda is harmless. leave her to her sandbox if it amuses her. she does seem to crave attention though. i am just about tired of giving her attention in any form. she is a child, but i cannot send her to her room as i did my son when he became too demanding or misbehaved. essentially, she is having a temper tantrum because neither jamie nor i will do what she wants. and we aren't going to either.

why not we discuss something else, like power and powerlessness? the powerless in their own lives take their impotence out on counterpersons, for example. i once dated a woman who did that. i ditched her in part for her wanting to wield power over others that she had not power over and her only reason to do so was to overcompensate. much like some police become cops to finally have some power, except these ppl have no real power, so they become sychophants of those who have real power. it is a form of sociopathology.

many of us readily give oiur power over to others. "you make me so angry" is a typical surrendering of power, as is guilt. guilt is a fine mechanism. we get to do what we want, feel unworthy, and then reassure ourselves we are really good ppl because we felt unworthy after we did what we knew we shouldnt do. Lol! and of course, conservative christians give their power to the devil.

it has been suggested that we dont really want power. we fear it and it makes us anxious. interestingly enough, there have been studies that show the greater choices, the higher our anxiety for a great many of us. we fear making a bad choice, and since we program ourselves to do/believe what we see, viola! we then make bad choices. a self fullfilling prophecy. considering this, is it any wonder that we urge for or tolerate a larger role for government in our lives?

Last edited:
My response was to Echo. There is NOTHING philosophical about HER CHatty Kathy forum, trust me.:lol: It's more like posting two gay male models and asking which one is the bigger hunk.:eusa_eh:

I'm considering your request. I'm just trying to figure out who on this board could actually post in it honestly.:lol:

I'm wondering who among us really knows enough philosophy to post on such a forum?

I mean real philosophy, now, not OUR philosophies, but the real stuff.

I know damned well I'm not conversant about the real debates that exist in that field.

Are any of us really qualified to pontificate like a philosopher here?

Probably not to the level to discuss with philosophers, but we could discuss philosophers. I took Western Civ. Many of my other classes had reference to the thinkers of past times. It isn't that hard to read someones work and agree or disagree, we do it all the time. Here, Ill start, there's plenty to disagree with View attachment 7915

oiy.

let me begin by saying that mine and jamies marriage is not one of indentured servitude. we are partners, lovers, friends, and companions. she is my goddess, and i her god. there is a lack of the typical socially approved division of labor, and sometimes she and i clash over who will do what, but we are partners. when our infant was born, she would take care of the first nocturnal feeding, and i the second, for example. but then jamie is atypical, if there is such a thing as a typical female. but then, she and i are both reformed pagans. lol!

too often feminism actually denigrates the woman, stripping her of part of who she is, and i was gratified to see in this piece that the author allowed for a wide range of potentials for describing women, even, i would assume, as a traditional wife if so inclined.

intellectual adeptness doesn't always indicate a corresponding emotional adeptness, and then nietzsche had his own demons to wrestle with. he was expected to follow in his fathers footsteps into the ministry. it is entirely likely that his attitude towards women was in some measure supporting the typical attitude about women expressed by many christians even today, to atone for his inability or unwillingness to fill those familial boots. as i recall, his father died when fred was young ( and on second glance that was also mentioned in the piece) , and so he would have to be raised by his mother, and so his attitude (this sounds so freudian) could be a backlash against that. regardless, as was mentioned, he was a product of his time.

i appreciate this "It is a fact that living things tend to be neglected by ardent pursuit of any artistic or epic endeavor, and that tending to those needful beings lends one to neglect scholarly work," having said much the same about holy men, seers, shamans etc having to remove themselves from others so they can come in contact/experience what others will not, cannot or dont want to. to excel beyond the "normal" requires sacrifice, no matter what the endeavor.

my postition is that women are the cornerstone of civilization, and are women only as they are thinking or acting for the benefit of the family. in any other capacity, they are not women. i say this as i have looked for characteristics that only are shared among women, and have found only their ability to give life. otherwise, i dont think there can be said anything about womens thinking process or behavior that cannot also be said of men.

Forum List

Back