Philip Roth, a colossus of American fiction who won the Pulitzer Prize, has died at 85

• Banned
“He’s a humanly impoverished con-man destitute of all decency and wielding a vocabulary of 77 words that is better called Jerkish than English.” Philip Roth on Trump in email to The New Yorker.

• Banned
Such an incisive and imaginative writer and critic who cut to the truth. I not only enjoyed his books, but his comments and observations, especially of late. In an interview with NYT this year he had this to say about trump: “he is a massive fraud, the evil sum of his deficiencies devoid of everything but the hollow ideology of a megalomaniac.”

This is a huge loss for fans of American literature.

He was one of our best American writers. He had a way of capturing the essence of American life that few others possessed. I've read around 10 of his books. Sabbath's Theater (my favorite Roth book) made me laugh so hard I cried, then it made me cry so hard I laughed! American Pastoral is one of the best fiction books ever written in my opinion..and what a tragic tale! Goodbye Columbus, The Human Stain, The Ghost writer, Portnoy's Complaint....(sigh)....all classics.

He may be gone, but his amazing work will live on!

Rest in peace Philip, hopefully God has a sense of humor!

• Banned
"what did we do wrong that the next thing we know he's in a pool hall in Scranton, 3 hours from home! With my car! where does he get the money for the gas?! From playing pool! Pool! Pool! Pool! Mark my words, Messner: the world is waiting, it's licking its chops, to take your boy away" - Indignation by Philip Roth

New Topics

Forum List

Back