Philadelphia 76'ers stop Anthem singer from disrespecting our Anthem and country

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
:clap:

76ers stop singer from performing national anthem for 'We Matter' jersey

Sevyn Streeter at a Billboard event in February. (Associated Press)

The NBA’s much-anticipated continuation of the NFL’s national anthem protests have so far been pretty tame. Players and teams have opted to stand with arms locked in vague displays of unity, preferring instead to “focus on solutions” instead of gestures. The shape of discourse has frankly been a little disappointing — there seems to be no sense that protest can be form of action, and many of the proposed solutions to police killings of unarmed minorities rely on false equivalencies and changing the subject. In fact, the most powerful demonstrations so far have come not from the players on the court, but two national anthem singers while performing at preseason games in October.

Philadelphia 76ers officials apparently wanted to avoid even the mild controversy drummed up by those incidents at their season opener against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Wednesday night. Recording artist Sevyn Streeter was set to perform the national anthem, but she never made it out onto the court once the powers that be saw her “We Matter” t-shirt. She and her makeup artist Tatiana Ward explained what happened in several posts to social media (via PBT and Billy Penn):

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/7...al-anthem-for-we-matter-jersey-042436066.html

:clap:

76ers stop singer from performing national anthem for 'We Matter' jersey

Sevyn Streeter at a Billboard event in February. (Associated Press)

The NBA’s much-anticipated continuation of the NFL’s national anthem protests have so far been pretty tame. Players and teams have opted to stand with arms locked in vague displays of unity, preferring instead to “focus on solutions” instead of gestures. The shape of discourse has frankly been a little disappointing — there seems to be no sense that protest can be form of action, and many of the proposed solutions to police killings of unarmed minorities rely on false equivalencies and changing the subject. In fact, the most powerful demonstrations so far have come not from the players on the court, but two national anthem singers while performing at preseason games in October.

Philadelphia 76ers officials apparently wanted to avoid even the mild controversy drummed up by those incidents at their season opener against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Wednesday night. Recording artist Sevyn Streeter was set to perform the national anthem, but she never made it out onto the court once the powers that be saw her “We Matter” t-shirt. She and her makeup artist Tatiana Ward explained what happened in several posts to social media (via PBT and Billy Penn):

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/7...al-anthem-for-we-matter-jersey-042436066.html

Good.

This is not just a matter of promoting your particular divisive cause in the most inappropriate way, imo, but it also disrespects the feelings of many people grateful for what their nation has done for them and grateful for the many lives sacrifices for our freedoms. They see your protest as spitting in the face of many honorable and brave policemen and soldiers. You were given a major pulpit to honor our nation. If you want to disparage it, do it on your own time in your own pulpit.

Good.

This is not just a matter of promoting your particular divisive cause in the most inappropriate way, imo, but it also disrespects the feelings of many people grateful for what their nation has done for them and grateful for the many lives sacrifices for our freedoms. They see your protest as spitting in the face of many honorable and brave policemen and soldiers. You were given a major pulpit to honor our nation. If you want to disparage it, do it on your own time in your own pulpit.

I thought our country stood for being able to express your opinions and protest the actions of your government. At least, that's what I thought I was defending when I was in the service.

How dare these black athletes and entertainers complain about black people being shot by police without due process.

Good.

I thought our country stood for being able to express your opinions and protest the actions of your government. At least, that's what I thought I was defending when I was in the service.

How dare these black athletes and entertainers complain about black people being shot by police without due process.

Tell you what. You use that argument when you are asked to eulogize a friend. Be sure to mention all the things you thought were bad about him at that time. See if those in the crowd think it proper.

Good.

She can express herself all she wants...on her own time.

Tell you what. You use that argument when you are asked to eulogize a friend. Be sure to mention all the things you thought were bad about him at that time. See if those in the crowd think it proper.

Sporting events aren't funerals, buddy. (Unless you count what the Cubs are going to do to the Indians!!!)

So besides a weak analogy, what else do you got?

Good.

She is a guest in someone else's house.
Someone comes into your home, you don't expect them to be respectful and behave in an appropriate manner with your other guests??

She wasnot invited to express her political opinion.
She was invited to share her artistic expression of the anthem.

So simple minded you are.
A Basketball team is privately owned, thus the owners have a right to control all aspects of what is presented to the paying crowd...

"She was not invited to express her political opinion.
She was invited to share her artistic expression of the anthem."

Exactly.

Sporting events aren't funerals, buddy. (Unless you count what the Cubs are going to do to the Indians!!!)

So besides a weak analogy, what else do you got?

We are not talking about sporting events... buddy.

We are talking about the national anthem being played formally for a large gathering of Americans. For this woman or anyone else to usurp that privilege to sing the anthem and instead draw attention to her personal gripes against some segment of this country is both disrespectful, dishonrable and tacky!

It's a cheap way for her to bring attention upon herself as well. But you are too polarized and brainwashed to understand any of that.

She didnt tell them she was going wear the shirt.
At least try to be a little objective.

so are her views on police shooting black people was a complete unknown to them. Gee, I wonder how someone who looks like THIS

Screen-shot-2013-12-04-at-4.58.23-PM.png

Might feel about Cops shooting black people. I'm guessing, I don't know, she might be against it for some reason.

Someone comes into your home, you don't expect them to be respectful and behave in an appropriate manner with your other guests??

She was invited because she was a popular figure in that community that is a fanbase for that sport.

We are not talking about sporting events... buddy.

We are talking about the national anthem being played formally for a large gathering of Americans. For this woman or anyone else to usurp that privilege to sing the anthem and instead draw attention to her personal gripes against some segment of this country is both disrespectful, dishonrable and tacky!

It's a cheap way for her to bring attention upon herself as well. But you are too polarized and brainwashed to understand any of that.

You mean the topic makes YOU uncomfortable.

That's kind of your problem, not mine.

Again, it's easy for white folks to pretend this isn't a problem. we've never been pulled over in traffic because of our skin color. I'm willing to bet that Ms. Streeter has encountered at least one "Driving While Black" in her lifetime.

so are her views on police shooting black people was a complete unknown to them. Gee, I wonder how someone who looks like THIS

Might feel about Cops shooting black people. I'm guessing, I don't know, she might be against it for some reason.

She was invited because she was a popular figure in that community that is a fanbase for that sport.
Would you feel the same way if a guest singer wore an NRA T-shirt?

In the world according to Joe....

A privately owned company's right to refuse to allow a PAID performer to express a politically charged opinion during an opening ceremony is superseded by the performers "right" (there isn't any "right" here) to express those opinions.

What a fucken tard.
So you're saying that because she's black she hates cops?
Sounds like you're profiling....

Would you feel the same way if a guest singer wore an NRA T-shirt?
Or abortion kills??

Again, it's easy for white folks to pretend this isn't a problem. we've never been pulled over in traffic because of our skin color. I'm willing to bet that Ms. Streeter has encountered at least one "Driving While Black" in her lifetime.

Boy, you are ridiculous. And depressing.

By the way, I bet there have been a lot of "white folks" who have lost their sons in war defending our nation and the freedoms it allows. But you don't give a damn about that do you? There are also a lot of white folks who serve the black community in their health needs, poverty and abandonment. But that is of no matter to you. You demand every injustice in this world be rectified before you will stop being an angry, hateful, ungrateful soul. You are selfish.

Forum List

Back