(PG-13) words that stump USMB's spell checker

As far as I know it's always been "booty". (?)

Booty is money, friend — loot.

Bootie is an actual child's or woman's boot.

Bootie - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I think booty is swag actually, not just any money but something of value stolen.

"Bootie", I dunno if I'd count boot + diminutive ending as a real word per se.... after all you could do that with any wordie. Portuguese does it relentlessly, yet they're not considered separate words.

Last edited:
As far as I know it's always been "booty". (?)

I think booty is swag actually, not just any money but something of value stolen.

Right, right. Or a butt.

Pogo said:
"Bootie", I dunno if I'd count boot + diminutive ending as a real word per se.... after all you could do that with any wordie. Portuguese does it relentlessly, yet they're not considered separate words.

Why can't we have masculine and feminine forms in our precious, beautiful English language? Everyone else can.

I recognize booty and bootie as two different words, myself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fFfYKvDgk]Stormtroopers of Death, Speak English or Die[/ame]

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Right, right. Or a butt.

Pogo said:

Why can't we have masculine and feminine forms in our precious, beautiful English language? Everyone else can.

I recognize booty and bootie as two different words, myself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fFfYKvDgk]Stormtroopers of Death, Speak English or Die[/ame]

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

They are; they're unrelated. But the distinction we speak of here is between bootie and boot, its parent.

Olde Englisshe had inflected nouns and three genders. Those were the daze...

Last edited:
Here's a flagged one which for me is kinda sorta a big shocker:

athiest.

It's atheist. Cf. Theism; Theology; Theocracy... remember it this way: -est would indicate a superlative adverb while -ist indicates a holder of an "ism".

Last edited:
Just found another one a few minutes ago. Hard to believe this one gets a red underscore:

accomodate.

Well because it is actually spelled incorrectly.

A-c-c-o-m-m-o-d-a-t-e

Accommodate

Oops. :splat:

Ain't the first time I've dun that. Won't be the last.

Anyhoo, just for the heck of it, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's

dunderfunk.

Forum List

Back