(PG-13) words that stump USMB's spell checker

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Yes, believe it: there actually are some of them out there.

I just stumbled across a coupla (<---- obviously not a real word, that; but :lol: anyway) more of them tonight:

inimitability;

rulebook;

subforum; (aaaaaaaaand of course, just for the sheer thrill of it all, the shameless plug of the ...)

shart.

For all intents and purposes, this thread—pursuant to the formal definition of the term words (i.e. and/ or especially those in the Scrabble Dictionary)—does not intend to imply that abbreviations, acronyms and proper nouns are encompassed by or in that term.

Portmanteaus and slang, however, should be acceptable on this thread — just my humble opinion, that. (After all, we sharties are ourselves portmanteaus, you know.)

***************NOTE TO MODS/ ADMINS:***************

Please forgive me if this bit of intellectual property has been incorrectly and/ or ignorantly misplaced in this particular USMB subforum.

As best as I understand the USMB rulebook, I think I put this thread in the correct subforum.

I just stumbled across a coupla (<---- obviously not a real word, that; but :lol: anyway) more of them tonight:

inimitability;

rulebook;

subforum; (aaaaaaaaand of course, just for the sheer thrill of it all, the shameless plug of the ...)

shart.

For all intents and purposes, this thread—pursuant to the formal definition of the term words (i.e. and/ or especially those in the Scrabble Dictionary)—does not intend to imply that abbreviations, acronyms and proper nouns are encompassed by or in that term.

Portmanteaus and slang, however, should be acceptable on this thread — just my humble opinion, that. (After all, we sharties are ourselves portmanteaus, you know.)

Please forgive me if this bit of intellectual property has been incorrectly and/ or ignorantly misplaced in this particular USMB subforum.

As best as I understand the USMB rulebook, I think I put this thread in the correct subforum.

Looks like "USMB" is also one?
The way I type, I should have crashed the spellchecker by now!

BTW according to Microsoft spellchecker, my last name Nghiem
is officially spelled "Nighttime."

(I still haven't tamed the autocorrect on my cellphone.
I thought my bad typing would have broken that function by now....)

inimitability;

rulebook;

shart.

Looks like "USMB" is also one? The way I type, I should have crashed the spellchecker by now!

USMB is an abbreviation though, sista.

emilynghiem said:
BTW according to Microsoft spellchecker, my last name Nghiem
is officially spelled "Nighttime."

Wanna see something way cool?

Check out this unbelievable gem of a website:

Online Etymology Dictionary

Just MHO of course, but wow. Just. Wow. Shy only of a coupla hundred thousand ones that show smokin' hot legs in torn-up fishnet stockings and feet in platform triple pumps, that juuuuuuuuuuuuuust might be most awesome site on the entirety of the Net.

But without question, it's sure to help anyone who's trying to impress his/ her undergraduate-level English and/ or Literature professor(s). To the bank on that, baby.

emilynghiem said:
(I still haven't tamed the autocorrect on my cellphone. I thought my bad typing would have broken that function by now....)

Kay, you lost me there.

And anyhoo (<---- yet another one of those "obviously" non-word varieties mentioned in this thread's OP that I like to sling 'round just for the dissolution of it all), here're a few more words that ain't (<---- LOL, a piece of fundamentally American slang which is recognized) picked up by the USMB spell checker:

indigenously;

capita (as in the Latin prepositional phrase, per capita); and

entendre (as in the French term double entendre).

Isn't this fun???

FranklyAutocorrect8.jpg

inimitability;

rulebook;

shart.

USMB doesn't have a spell checker.

Next.

infinitum — i.e. ad infinitum.

Lots of Latin words aren't recognized here, I've noticed.

ad infinitum means roughly, 'without end' or 'endless'

Indeed it does. Good work.

inimitability;

rulebook;

shart.

The red underscoring under the words that a poster is misspelling when he's/ she's typing sure as shinola look a whole lot like a spell checker to me.

But of course, you wouldn't know that because you've never misspelled a word — right, smart guy?

Quantum Windbag said:

Go ahead and put ya boots back on and march right the heck back on outta here, then, champ.

You won't hurt my feelings a bit.

The red underscoring under the words that a poster is misspelling when he's/ she's typing sure as shinola look a whole lot like a spell checker to me.

But of course, you wouldn't know that because you've never misspelled a word — right, smart guy?

Quantum Windbag said:

Go ahead and put ya boots back on and march right the heck back on outta here, then, champ.

You won't hurt my feelings a bit.

That is your browser, genius.

Spellchecking in IE10

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95604?hl=en

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

I have Firefox set to do a double red line so I can see the mistakes easier.

NEXT.

Forum List

Back