Peter Tork RIP

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
So long Peter.
Two Monkees left.

Peter Tork of the Monkees Dies at 77

Peter Tork, the guitarist and wise-cracking character in the 1960s teen-pop sensation the Monkees, died today at the age of 77, a rep for the group confirmed to Variety. Speaking with the Washington Post, Tork’s sister Anne Thorkelson did not specify a cause of death, although the guitarist had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer a decade ago.

Tork wrote a blog piece for the Post about his diagnosis with adenoid cystic carcinoma after beginning treatment in 2009. Through most of the 10 years since, he had been able to resume an active musical life, participating in Monkees reunion tours as recently as 2016, and recording his own solo blues albums, the last of which, “Relax Your Mind,” came out early last year.

Peter Tork of the Monkees Dies at 77

Oh shit very sad the Monkees never really got the respect they deserved as band especially Peter and Mike.
I think they did considering what they were, a manufactured programmed pop music machine.

Michael Nesmith, in my opinion, was the only guy in that group who had any innate talent or appeal.

Oh shit very sad the Monkees never really got the respect they deserved as band especially Peter and Mike.
I think they did considering what they were, a manufactured programmed pop music machine.

Michael Nesmith, in my opinion, was the only guy in that group who had any innate talent or appeal.
Mike was is a very talented musician and songwriter but so was Peter they had him playing the dumb guy but he was far from that.

Too bad they got screwed. They only played a band on TV and got no royalties from their songs.

Of all the Monkees, I'd say Ringo was my favorite.

just heard this. Sad. another piece of history gone. thanks!

Nearly all of those groups back then were manufactured pop music machines. Grass Roots, Byrds, Beatles, Mommas and Papas, Sonny and Cher, etc.

Michael did have some genuine talent, had his own solo career, and wrote Linda Ronstandt's "Different Drum".

Also, his mom invented Liquid Paper.

Michael did have some genuine talent, had his own solo career, and wrote Linda Ronstandt's "Different Drum".

Also, his mom invented Liquid Paper.
If you can find a video of "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles you'll see Nesmith there as one of celebrities in the backdrop
adding atmosphere to the film. That's pretty impressive company. The Beatles & The Monkees Friendship
I think he had problems shedding the bubble gum image of the Monkees and he was an early proponent of the Country Rock genre (First National Band) but he eventually was sucked back in by the gravitational pull of fame of the Monkees and I suppose he long since accepted his place in show biz.

Sad to hear

Peter was the quiet one but probably the only real musician.

Though they are mocked..... The Monkeys were huge in the late 60s

The golden era of Rock

RIP Peter Tork. He wrote the song “For Pete’s Sake” it is a great song. The Monkees were totally ripped off by Jann Wenner and his HofFame cabal that kept a number of deserving 60s groups out of the HofF because of their little egos. Well known is Wenner hated the Moody Blues and got his way for 25 years until public pressure made him cave. Too bad the Moody Blues accepted instead of telling the Hall to get lost. Same with Deep Purple, a pity election too many years too late out of pressure only.

Like the Beatles, the Monkees had a number of songs off their albums that were well known but not released as singles. Few other pop groups of the 60s were like that. The charge they did not play their own instruments is a joke. How many of those lame doowap 50s groups, etc., and later where none played instruments or wrote songs? Do I sound too invested in this? Yes, well that is because I despise the Hall of Fame and that’s that. Other bands that I cannot believe were shunned besides the Monkees are Three Dog Night, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Guess Who, Carol King, Whitney Houston, Tommy James / Shondels, Sonny & Cher, Jethro Tull, etc. It would bother me less if it weren’t for all the crap groups they have been enshrined. And if someone wants to make the case for some 80s and 90s rock bands (which I probably have no use for) should be in there as well because of their music, then I say no one more deserving than Blue Oyster Cult and even Uriah Heep. But I would rather their names never come upon these commercial money hungry voters’ lips.

RIP Peter Tork. He wrote the song “For Pete’s Sake” it is a great song. The Monkees were totally ripped off by Jann Wenner and his HofFame cabal that kept a number of deserving 60s groups out of the HofF because of their little egos. Well known is Wenner hated the Moody Blues and got his way for 25 years until public pressure made him cave. Too bad the Moody Blues accepted instead of telling the Hall to get lost. Same with Deep Purple, a pity election too many years too late out of pressure only.

Like the Beatles, the Monkees had a number of songs off their albums that were well known but not released as singles. Few other pop groups of the 60s were like that. The charge they did not play their own instruments is a joke. How many of those lame doowap 50s groups, etc., and later where none played instruments or wrote songs? Do I sound too invested in this? Yes, well that is because I despise the Hall of Fame and that’s that. Other bands that I cannot believe were shunned besides the Monkees are Three Dog Night, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Guess Who, Carol King, Whitney Houston, Tommy James / Shondels, Sonny & Cher, Jethro Tull, etc. It would bother me less if it weren’t for all the crap groups they have been enshrined. And if someone wants to make the case for some 80s and 90s rock bands (which I probably have no use for) should be in there as well because of their music, then I say no one more deserving than Blue Oyster Cult and even Uriah Heep. But I would rather their names never come upon these commercial money hungry voters’ lips.
Don’t forget Joe Cocker

Didn’t write the songs but gave unforgettable renditions

Peter was also a folk singer before he got hired for the show.

Forum List

Back