Peter Tork RIP

It's only rock n roll. Some people take it way too seriously as music, when it isn't serious music at all, despite all the pretentiousness and hyped rubbish. This is even more true re rap and hip hop; most of those fans will not have measurable IQ's.

Peter was on a flight back from CT a few years back and our bassist sat beside him and recognized him. That was because Tork’s blues band, Shoe Suede Blues, had recently played a local blues fest that our bassist had attended. Tork was flattered to be recognized and was a genuinely friendly dude.

Oh shit very sad the Monkees never really got the respect they deserved as band especially Peter and Mike.
I think they did considering what they were, a manufactured programmed pop music machine.

Michael Nesmith, in my opinion, was the only guy in that group who had any innate talent or appeal.

Nearly all of those groups back then were manufactured pop music machines. Grass Roots, Byrds, Beatles, Mommas and Papas, Sonny and Cher, etc.
Most of those were genuine and wrote their own material. The Monkees were a total contrivance.
I saw a reunion concert in 1986.
Gary Pucket, 3 Monkees and 1 Grass Root (Rob Grille).

the same guy who said the Byrds were too....
Yes. Quite the non expert when it comes to 60's music and musicians.
Btw, this "expert" also cites the Mamas and the Papas and Sonny and Cher as being
programmed pop machines and I'm pretty sure they also wrote most of their own music.

Last edited:
So little is left of the past.....:(I'm still a believer though.....

RIP Peter Tork.

Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer.
And ‘A little bit me a little bit you’.
Larry Taylor played bass on several of those Monkees sessions. Taylor is ‘the’ renowned contemporary blues bass player having recorded and performed for years with Tom Waits and every bonafide blues act of the past fifty years, including being a founding and remaining member of Canned Heat
(Going up the Country, On the Road Again, performed at Woodstock, etc).

So long Peter.
Two Monkees left.

Peter Tork of the Monkees Dies at 77

Peter Tork, the guitarist and wise-cracking character in the 1960s teen-pop sensation the Monkees, died today at the age of 77, a rep for the group confirmed to Variety. Speaking with the Washington Post, Tork’s sister Anne Thorkelson did not specify a cause of death, although the guitarist had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer a decade ago.

Tork wrote a blog piece for the Post about his diagnosis with adenoid cystic carcinoma after beginning treatment in 2009. Through most of the 10 years since, he had been able to resume an active musical life, participating in Monkees reunion tours as recently as 2016, and recording his own solo blues albums, the last of which, “Relax Your Mind,” came out early last year.

Peter Tork of the Monkees Dies at 77
He was my fav when I was a teen fan.

Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer.
And ‘A little bit me a little bit you’.
Larry Taylor played bass on several of those Monkees sessions. Taylor is ‘the’ renowned contemporary blues bass player having recorded and performed for years with Tom Waits and every bonafide blues act of the past fifty years, including being a founding and remaining member of Canned Heat
(Going up the Country, On the Road Again, performed at Woodstock, etc).

Those were the days.

Real music

Forum List

Back