Peter Tork RIP

I remember seeing this guy in two episodes of the 7th Heaven show. He played a singer on there too named Chris.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

So long Peter.
Two Monkees left.

Peter Tork of the Monkees Dies at 77

Peter Tork, the guitarist and wise-cracking character in the 1960s teen-pop sensation the Monkees, died today at the age of 77, a rep for the group confirmed to Variety. Speaking with the Washington Post, Tork’s sister Anne Thorkelson did not specify a cause of death, although the guitarist had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer a decade ago.

Tork wrote a blog piece for the Post about his diagnosis with adenoid cystic carcinoma after beginning treatment in 2009. Through most of the 10 years since, he had been able to resume an active musical life, participating in Monkees reunion tours as recently as 2016, and recording his own solo blues albums, the last of which, “Relax Your Mind,” came out early last year.

As a young boy, the first musical group I fell in love with and emulated was a brand new band called The Monkees, and I often emulated them on both guitar and drums. My favorite of the band was zany Peter Tork. Well, Ol Pete just died. He was 77 and died of cancer.

471f233d4f0ea70d62cf00937250af2b.jpg
tumblr_njpgnnWMRp1qgl54io2_400.jpg

As kids, we used to run around pretending we were the Monkees, and I bought 3 or 4 of their first albums which I still have.

Peter was actually the best musician of the four, taking up several instruments as a small boy prodigy, he grew up to befriend Stephen Stills of Crosby Stills, Nash and Young among other musicians. Stills was invited at some point to audition for a new TV show and faux band called The Monkees, spun off to capitalize on the popularity of the Beatles, but his teeth and hair didn’t photograph too well (he wasn’t photogenic enough), so they rejected him but asked Stills if he knew anyone else who had a similar “open, Nordic look,” and Stills recommended Tork and that’s how Peter got the job.

It was often said among the band that if their producers had based their roles on actual playing ability rather than looks (in their first two albums, they didn’t record their own instruments but had others sub in for them in the studio), they would have put Davy in as the drummer, Mike on bass, Mickey as the lead singer and Peter playing guitar, but they felt Davy was so small he looked lost behind the drum set and disappeared back there even though he was actually the best drummer of the four.

The funny thing is that because Pete was actually a pretty good musician, he was the only one of the fab-four band that actually played instruments on the first two albums. He played bass, guitar, piano, harpsichord and organ for various songs. The others simply added in their vocal accompaniment.

Peter will be remembered fondly.

Hey hey we're the monkeys people say we monkey around, but we're to busy singin to put anybody down! Rock legend nah ! Pop Icons Okay loved these guys as a kid. Time! :thankusmile:

So long Peter.
Two Monkees left.

Peter Tork, the guitarist and wise-cracking character in the 1960s teen-pop sensation the Monkees, died today at the age of 77, a rep for the group confirmed to Variety. Speaking with the Washington Post, Tork’s sister Anne Thorkelson did not specify a cause of death, although the guitarist had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer a decade ago.

Tork wrote a blog piece for the Post about his diagnosis with adenoid cystic carcinoma after beginning treatment in 2009. Through most of the 10 years since, he had been able to resume an active musical life, participating in Monkees reunion tours as recently as 2016, and recording his own solo blues albums, the last of which, “Relax Your Mind,” came out early last year.

Who?
Mr. Tork & Mrs Grapes-Tork.

Try to imagine being at a Monkee's concert in the summer of 1967...………………….

Take a look around. 8-13 year old white girls and their moms and grandmoms.

The lights go low, the kids start screaming, and out walks Jimi Hendrix !!

Suddenly, he strikes a chord that could shatter windows, and breaks into "Are You Experienced !!!"

Try to picture that shit, I bet five minutes into his set and half the audience of little white girls are crying their eyes out, and their moms and grandmoms mouths are open and their eyes are big as saucers !

This was probably the worse concert pairing of all time, but had to have been funnier than shit to watch the audience crap their pants. :laughing0301:

Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer.
And ‘A little bit me a little bit you’.
Larry Taylor played bass on several of those Monkees sessions. Taylor is ‘the’ renowned contemporary blues bass player having recorded and performed for years with Tom Waits and every bonafide blues act of the past fifty years, including being a founding and remaining member of Canned Heat
(Going up the Country, On the Road Again, performed at Woodstock, etc).

Those were the days.

Real music

Ohhhh. FFS! They can't even sing.

:lmao::lmao:

It easy to post better tunes.

Last edited:
my God they are all dead....everybody is dead?

i'ts ok

next we will be dead too :laugh:

it's ok too

no, problem!

As a musician myself, I was lucky enough to see Peter Tork with his "Monkees" band at UCONN at just some dive bar on campus, I think his father was a professor there at the time. And I saw Davey and Mickey at the Norwalk Oyster Festival one time. Sure the Wrecking Crew recorded most of the music, but that was because back then studio time was so ridiculously expensive. And although Boyce and Hart wrote their best songs, but even then Mickey, Davey, Peter and Mike would apply vocal overdubs which is not easy!

One of my favs!

Last edited:
Most of those were genuine and wrote their own material. The Monkees were a total contrivance..
That's true and people know who was genuine and not.

By the way....the Beatles were a "manufactured pop music machine"? :113:
Which fool said that?

I did, jackass; any idiot who has heard the Beatles early stuff when they were just another bar band and then compared that to the sound and image George Martin created for them knows it's a fact, too. George Martin was a great producer, so were producers like Terry Melcher at Columbia, and several others, who got bands started on their road to 'fame' via Wrecking Crew studio sets, as he did with the Byrds; others did the same for Sonny and Cher, got the Mamas and the Poppas together, built the Grass Roots from scratch, etc. It's a business re 'rock n roll', not a lot of true 'artists' for the most part, just image selling and fashion trend following. It changes a little with the wider spread of stereo and the 1970's bands when touring bands were expected to sound like their records and middle class airhead stoners dominated record sales for the genre and liked to pretend they were having 'Deep Profound Thoughts N Stuff', which of course was just narcissism and a joke.

Last edited:
Most of those were genuine and wrote their own material. The Monkees were a total contrivance..

Which fool said that?

I did, jackass; any idiot who has heard the Beatles early stuff when they were just another bar band and then compared that to the sound and image George Martin created for them knows it's a fact, too. George Martin was a great producer, so were producers like Terry Melcher at RCA, and several others, who got bands started on their road to 'fame' via Wrecking Crew studio sets, as he did with the Byrds; others did the same for Sonny and Cher, got the Mamas and the Poppas together, built the Grass Roots from scratch, etc.
Production only goes so far. All of the Beatles were prolific beyond George Martin. So were the Stones before and after NYT writer Judith Miller’s brother Jimmy produced (and drummed on) some of their most successful albums.

the same guy who said the Byrds were too....
Yes. Quite the non expert when it comes to 60's music and musicians.
yep....im sure he puts the Stones and the Kinks and Yardbirds in that category too...

Actually the entire genre is manufactured and marketed for a particular image, but most dumbasses can't believe they're fashion victims; the think they're immune while in fact they're the easiest to sucker in to a certain 'type', it's just a matter of experimenting with bands and voices to find how to get in your pockets, is all. Rock is is the most commercialized genre out there today, and was from its beginning as well.

Which fool said that?

I did, jackass; any idiot who has heard the Beatles early stuff when they were just another bar band and then compared that to the sound and image George Martin created for them knows it's a fact, too. George Martin was a great producer, so were producers like Terry Melcher at RCA, and several others, who got bands started on their road to 'fame' via Wrecking Crew studio sets, as he did with the Byrds; others did the same for Sonny and Cher, got the Mamas and the Poppas together, built the Grass Roots from scratch, etc.
Production only goes so far. All of the Beatles were prolific beyond George Martin. So were the Stones before and after NYT writer Judith Miller’s brother Jimmy produced (and drummed on) some of their most successful albums.

You mean after you have been properly conditioned to believe that and buy it..The Beatles were targeted at middle class adolescent girls, the market with lots of disposable incomes and easily impressed by 'boy bands', same as the market in the 1950's, same as much of the market in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and every decade. the Stones aimed for the same market, with a silly assed 'Bad Boy' image gimmick. Other bands usually copied one or the other.

Terry Melcher - Wikipedia

Career
In the early 1960s, Terry Melcher and Bruce Johnston formed the vocal duet Bruce & Terry. The duo had hits like "Custom Machine" and "Summer Means Fun". Melcher and Johnston also created another group, The Rip Chords, which had a Top 10 hit with "Hey Little Cobra". Later, Johnston would join the Beach Boys. By the mid-1960s, Melcher had joined the staff of Columbia Records and went on to work with the Byrds. He produced their hit cover versions of Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" and Pete Seeger's "Turn! Turn! Turn!", as well as their respective albums.[4] Due to conflicts with the band and their manager, Melcher was replaced as producer by Allen Stanton and then Gary Usher, although he would later work with the Byrds again on their Ballad of Easy Rider, (Untitled), and Byrdmaniax albums. Melcher also worked with Paul Revere & the Raiders, Wayne Newton, Frankie Laine, Jimmy Boyd, Pat Boone, Glen Campbell, Mark Lindsay and the Mamas & the Papas. He was instrumental in signing another Los Angeles band, the Rising Sons, led by Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.[5] Melcher also performed on the Beach Boys' platinum album Pet Sounds as a background vocalist, and introduced Brian Wilson to lyricist Van Dyke Parks in February 1966, beginning their partnership on The Smile Sessions project. Melcher was also a board member of the Monterey Pop Foundation and a producer of the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.

... and more. There were other producers as well, cashing in, some more competent than others at marketing. these paved the way and created the markets for others like Hendrix, Uriah Heep, and boy bands like the Doors, etc.

Try to imagine being at a Monkee's concert in the summer of 1967...………………….

Take a look around. 8-13 year old white girls and their moms and grandmoms.

The lights go low, the kids start screaming, and out walks Jimi Hendrix !!

Suddenly, he strikes a chord that could shatter windows, and breaks into "Are You Experienced !!!"

Try to picture that shit, I bet five minutes into his set and half the audience of little white girls are crying their eyes out, and their moms and grandmoms mouths are open and their eyes are big as saucers !

This was probably the worse concert pairing of all time, but had to have been funnier than shit to watch the audience crap their pants. :laughing0301:
I saw the Monkeys in concert with Weird Al

Forum List

Back