Pervert fears cast doubt on plans to lower voting age

Major Issues:

Chat rooms are a growing in popularity on the Internet. Children sign on looking to meet new friends or to communicate with old friends. These chat rooms can pose a huge threat to children if they are not careful, as some pedophiles use chat rooms to victimize children. According to the FBI, pedophiles go into chat rooms looking to uncover personal information about children. Often times, pedophiles set up a false profile to appear more attractive to children. This fabricated information can be about their age, sex, location, appearance, personal interests, and any other information which can lure a child into trusting them. Pedophiles hide behind the anonymity of the Internet. After gaining the trust of a child, pedophiles then try top initiate physical contact with the child. Pedophiles have been known to setup a rendezvous point to meet their prey. In fact, according to a 2000 FBI survey, “the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, newspapers, and other law-enforcement sources identified almost 800 cases, confirmed or under investigation, involving adults traveling to or luring youth they first ‘met’ on the Internet for criminal sexual activities” (Ruben Rodriguez, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, personal communication, April 3, 2000). Tragically, the unsuspected child then meets this predator under the false assumption that he or she is close in age with the child. While this might seem like an unlikely scenario, The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children conducted a 1999 survey of 1,500 teens and preteens and found that one in five had received a sexual solicitation over the Internet. Here are some statistics from A Report on the Nation’s Youth completed by CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN RESEARCH CENTER in 2000:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/hadowns/www/pedophilia2.htm

*yawn*

Yeah...sexual solicitation. I wonder how loosely that's defined.

Try again, Shitgun.

Impressive rebuttal. :eusa_eh: That the best you got to counter the idea that it would be best if the private information of 14-year-olds weren't posted online?

Why do you support the right of women to vote? Do you support rape?

The only assinine idiot around here would be some whiney-ass brat that thinks laws should be changed to reflect his personal desires, regardless the consequences.

And, artard, don't whine to me anymore about the personal attacks. Your lame attempt to draw first blood here is on record for any and all to see.

I don't recall "whining" about "personal attacks." What are you referring to?

I remember saying that we're trapped in one of two ad hominem attacks that permit opponents to avoid giving a rational reply, but that doesn't matter to me. I don't plan on dealing rationally with those idiotic to use such attacks anyway.

When you were 14, 15 and 16 and thought you were an adult you behaved like a child, acting out in a promiscuous way is hardly the actions of a responsible adult,

I am very confused by that statement, roomy. It sounds to me that you are saying promiscuity is behavior that is typical of children. :cuckoo:

I am very confused by that statement, roomy. It sounds to me that you are saying promiscuity is behavior that is typical of children. :cuckoo:

The sad thing is that lately this has been the case, but not because of a change in the children (hormonal changes at that age range do cause confusion) but mainly because parents have become morons.

...you should respond to me in private, fuck people knowing anything about what you did with who. What's worse, though, is leaving yourself open to targeting on a board with near 8,000 members now.:(

Why do you keep insisting Amanda PM you? What do you want to say to her that you'd rather hide from the rest of the board?

I'm sure Amanda is not so naive as to be tricked into doing something dangerous with someone she met online, but still, it troubles me that after reading posts where she describes her past sex life and says she wishes she could have been a stripper at 16 so as to earn more than minimum wage, you become so determined to get her to PM you.

I didn't call you stupid. I assumed you would google. I'm not the one making you look stupid. You make yourself look like a very immature, petulent child with very poor judgment.

now go google.

Why not just tell her what it means? Not many people speak Latin these days.

Garyd: "As far as I'm concerned you don't get a vote til you start paying all your own bills by the sweat of your brow."

In Garyland, rich people who inherit fortunes should be forever denied the vote.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, maybe not a bad idea.

LOL! In Garyland Shirley Temple and all the other child stars earning their own keep would eligible to vote too. :lol:

Sounds like he's simply saying that children don't have the capacity to be adults despite their typical attempts to behave as if they do.

And, artard, don't whine to me anymore about the personal attacks. Your lame attempt to draw first blood here is on record for any and all to see.

I believe the first attempt to draw blood came from the poster who threatened to cut off Agna's dick a few days back when a mob of whacked out posters were raving about how he was a pedophile trolling for children on this board and should be lynched.

Res ipsa loquitur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Res ipsa loquitur is a legal term from the Latin meaning, "the thing itself speaks" but is more often translated "the thing speaks for itself." It signifies that further details are unnecessary; the proof of the case is self-evident. The doctrine is applied to tort claims which, as a matter of law, do not have to be explained beyond the point where liability is established. It is most useful to plaintiffs in certain negligence cases. It was first formulated in the case Byrne v. Boadle (1863), in England.

Sounds like he's simply saying that children don't have the capacity to be adults despite their typical attempts to behave as if they do.

Probably, but he said it in just about the most ass backwards way.

Yeah, that's why it's funny to me now. It use to be scary, then it was sad, but now it's funny. People don't want change, especially for the better, and this is just more proof of it.

Why do you believe that opening up the vote to 16-year-olds represents "change for the better"? That's a burden of proof you have not yet met.

And take away an opportunity for her to educate herself? She is 18 years old. She's old enough to seek out information, if she wants to, without being treated like an imbecile who is incapable of doing that.

I already said I Googled it. My generation is far more adept at using this interweb thing than any out you grownups realize. :tongue:

I already said I Googled it. My generation is far more adept at using this interweb thing than any out you grownups realize. :tongue:
Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Sweetie. We're all old and technologically impaired. That's why we're here, on an online bulletin board.

I was coding HTML when you were in 2nd grade. I suspect my computer skills far exceed your own.

Last edited:
I'm curious. What specific capacity do they possess that a 17 year old male in Scotland wouldn't, for instance?

Good judgment.

The argument isn't about 17 year olds in Scotland, it's about releasing personal information on 14-year-olds. Way to try and shift the foundation of the discussion.

What does a grown woman have that a 14-year-old girl doesn't? Life experience. Good judgment. Responsibilities. A full education.

We have to draw the line somewhere. Is it arbitrary? Perhaps. Sometimes life isn't fair, and sometimes it is random and arbitrary. It all tends to even out in the long run.

But drawing a line between childhood and adulthood also benefits juveniles, in a variety of ways. Parents are held financially responsible for them until age 18.

Youth are guaranteed access to an education, BY LAW, of which they cannot be legally deprived. If they are kicked out of school, the schools are required by law to provide alternative, comparable educational services.

Minors can't be sued.

If they come from an abusive and/or neglectful home, by law, supportive services are available to them through the juvenile court/family services. If necessary, a guardian ad litem can be appointed by the court to represent their interests.

They are eligible for health insurance through medicaid and a host of other programs if their parents cannot financially provide access to health care.

Juveniles also, for the most part, can't be prosecuted as adults, except for the most serious crimes (murder, aggravated assault). If they are convicted of a crime, their record is sealed and cannot inhibit them as an adult. These are ALL significant advantages.

Do you really wish to do away with these rights?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back