Pervert fears cast doubt on plans to lower voting age

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
Pervert fears cast doubt on plans to lower voting age - Scotsman.com News

FEARS over paedophiles could scupper any move to give 16 and 17-year-olds the vote.

The SNP supports a lowering of the voting age from 18 and Labour backed the idea at its UK conference in September.

But now experts say the move could mean the names and dates of birth of people as young as 14 appearing on the electoral register-and they warn that would raise child protection issues. The Scottish Government wants to introduce a voting age of 16 for its proposed elections to health boards.

But evidence from election professionals, including Edinburgh's chief executive and returning officer Tom Aitchison, has highlighted the paedophile danger.

Their warnings could also put the brakes on the wider campaign for 16 to be made the voting age for all elections.

(Continued...)

Goodness, I wish I could say that I've never encountered such asinine idiocy before, but unfortunately, I can't.

Regardless...:cuckoo:

• Banned
Pervert fears cast doubt on plans to lower voting age - Scotsman.com News

FEARS over paedophiles could scupper any move to give 16 and 17-year-olds the vote.

The SNP supports a lowering of the voting age from 18 and Labour backed the idea at its UK conference in September.

But now experts say the move could mean the names and dates of birth of people as young as 14 appearing on the electoral register - and they warn that would raise child protection issues.

The Scottish Government wants to introduce a voting age of 16 for its proposed elections to health boards.

But evidence from election professionals, including Edinburgh's chief executive and returning officer Tom Aitchison, has highlighted the paedophile danger.

Their warnings could also put the brakes on the wider campaign for 16 to be made the voting age for all elections.

(Continued...)

Hell, I wish I could say that I've never encountered such asinine idiocy, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Regardless...:cuckoo:

I don't get it. How would lowering the voting age encourage pedos?

because if you lowered the voting age it would be easier to argue lowering the age of consent and reduce it to simply being pubescent..then people like analprostrate could try to convince 12 yr olds to have sex with them legaly ...

Actually, Eots does touch upon a great point.

If youth are given the right to vote, it would give certain people like Agna a piece of evidence as to why things like the age of consent should be lowered.

Though I believe the age of consent is low as it is in some places (some have it at 14 in the US).

If youth are given the right to vote, it would give certain people like Agna a piece of evidence as to why things like the age of consent should be lowered.

Though I believe the age of consent is low as it is in some places (some have it at 14 in the US).

16 in Britain.

• Banned

That's not true, but squares well with your general legal ignorance.

That's not true, but squares well with your general legal ignorance.
actually, he is correct, but the 14 age is dependent on the age of the other party
the general age is 16 in most states, in some it is 18
and if you cross state lines, it is 18 for most states as well

actually, he is correct, but the 14 age iss dependent on the age of the other party
the general age is 16 in most states, in some it is 18
and if you cross state lines, it is 18 for most states as well

If we're reverting back to close-in-age exemptions, then we'll be in a huge quagmire. My reference was to the general age of consent.

The federal age of consent is 18, and crossing state lines for the purpose of a sexual interaction with a minor in another state remains illegal even if said minor is above the age of consent in their respective state.

Let me get this right.... at 16 they are not old enough to be on their own, not old enough to be responsible for their self, not old enough to make legal decisions for themselves. BUT they should be able to vote?

There is only one reason this is even suggested.... because liberals believe they will get the 16 and 17 year old voters, since they younger you are the more likely you are to not think with your brain but with your feelings.

If they lower the voting age to 16 in the US, they better make that when they are considered adults. Pretty damn simple. KIDS should not be voting.

You want the right to vote? Then you get all the rest that goes with adulthood, including taking care of yourself, being old enough to be drafted, being tried as an adult for any and all crimes, every responsibility of the age of consent.

At any rate, let me see if I follow this fiendish plot. Lowering the voting age to 16 or 17 would give those dastardly perverts rationale to also lower the age of consent to 16...despite the fact that it already is 16.

Quite elaborate.

Let me get this right.... at 16 they are not old enough to be on their own, not old enough to be responsible for their self, not old enough to make legal decisions for themselves. BUT they should be able to vote?

There is only one reason this is even suggested.... because liberals believe they will get the 16 and 17 year old voters, since they younger you are the more likely you are to not think with your brain but with your feelings.

If they lower the voting age to 16 in the US, they better make that when they are considered adults. Pretty damn simple. KIDS should not be voting.

You want the right to vote? Then you get all the rest that goes with adulthood, including taking care of yourself, being old enough to be drafted, being tried as an adult for any and all crimes, every responsibility of the age of consent.

Interesting point you bring up, actually. What if some were to claim that they should have all such rights and responsibilities?

Even if they weren't, I would say that a lower voting age could be justified on the grounds that it would aid youth integration into adult society...especially considering that they're still required to pay taxes and suffer a double standard of being burdened with adult criminal responsibilities, yet not having equivalent adult rights.

EDIT: And this isn't in the U.S., and the word "liberal" has an entirely different meaning in Europe.

Last edited:
At any rate, let me see if I follow this fiendish plot. Lowering the voting age to 16 or 17 would give those dastardly perverts rationale to also lower the age of consent to 16...despite the fact that it already is 16.

Quite elaborate.

Is it legal to cross State lines to have sex with a 16 year old if your 18 or older? Is it legal to have sex with a 16 year old if your 18 or older? I am afraid you may need to check out the law a little closer.

Is it legal to cross State lines to have sex with a 16 year old if your 18 or older? Is it legal to have sex with a 16 year old if your 18 or older? I am afraid you may need to check out the law a little closer.

You seem to have ignored the fact that this is not in the United States, as well as the fact that it is legal to have sex with a 16 year old if you're 18 or older in about half of American states, and legal in more for those just over 18.

I also noted the federal age of consent of 18, so I don't really need to check any law "a little closer."

You seem to have ignored the fact that this is not in the United States, as well as the fact that it is legal to have sex with a 16 year old if you're 18 or older in about half of American states, and legal in more for those just over 18.

I also noted the federal age of consent of 18, so I don't really need to check any law "a little closer."

You are wrong. Even though a 16 year old can consent to sex with another 16 or 17 year old, if a 30 year old has sex with them, guess what happens? They do not legally have the right to consent to sex with adults.

Or as in Texas where they are trying to try older men for marrying 16 and 17 year olds when the age of consent is 16, what is that all about, one would have to ask.

Get your facts straight.

You are wrong. Even though a 16 year old can consent to sex with another 16 or 17 year old, if a 30 year old has sex with them, guess what happens? They do not legally have the right to consent to sex with adults.

Or as in Texas where they are trying to try older men for marrying 16 and 17 year olds when the age of consent is 16, what is that all about, one would have to ask.

Get your facts straight.

Uh, no, I'm not wrong. The general age of consent varies from state to state and is 16 in the majority. I believe the age of consent is 17 in Texas, though the legal marriage age is likely higher? (Incidentally, age of consent laws are often invalidated by marriage with parental consent, betraying their medieval Christian nature.)

I'm sure the general public is under the impression that the age of consent is 18 in every state, but that is not the case.

Actually Agna has different reasons.

Remember Sarge, I'm what one would call a "Liberal" and I don't believe youth should be able to vote at 16-17. I'm against what Agna calls for in many of ideas of the "youth movement."

Quite elaborate.

We consider the age of consent now to be lower two years then the voting age.

What do you think people like you are going to say once the voting age is lowered to 16?

Forum List

Back