Perhaps The Funniest Thing I'll Read Today

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
From the Guardian no less:

John Crace: The question that flummoxed the great orator | World news | The Guardian

The question that flummoxed the great orator

John Crace
The Guardian, Friday 3 April 2009

Barack Obama, the World's Greatest Orator (™all news organisations), didn't exactly cover himself in glory when the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson asked him a question about who was to blame for the financial crisis. Normally word perfect, Obama ummed, ahed and waffled for the best part of two and a half minutes. Here, John Crace decodes what he was really thinking ...

Nick Robinson: "A question for you both, if I may. The prime minister has repeatedly blamed the United States of America for causing this crisis. France and Germany both blame Britain and America for causing this crisis. Who is right? And isn't the debate about that at the heart of the debate about what to do now?" Brown immediately swivels to leave Obama in pole position. There is a four-second delay before Obama starts speaking [THANKS FOR NOTHING, GORDY BABY. REMIND ME TO HANG YOU OUT TO DRY ONE DAY.] Barack Obama: "I, I, would say that, er ... pause [I HAVEN'T A CLUE] ... if you look at ... pause [WHO IS THIS NICK ROBINSON JERK?] ... the, the sources of this crisis ... pause [JUST KEEP GOING, BUDDY] ... the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to . . . pause [I'M IN WAY TOO DEEP HERE] ... a regulatory system that was inadequate to the massive changes that have taken place in the global financial system ... pause, close eyes [THIS IS GOING TO GO DOWN LIKE A CROCK OF SHIT BACK HOME. HELP]. I think what is also true is that ... pause [I WANT NICK ROBINSON TO DISAPPEAR] ... here in Great Britain ... pause [SHIT, GORDY'S THE HOST, DON'T LAND HIM IN IT] ... here in continental Europe ... pause [DAMN IT, BLAME EVERYONE.] ... around the world. We were seeing the same mismatch between the regulatory regimes that were in place and er ... pause [I'VE LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT AGAIN] ... the highly integrated, er, global capital markets that have emerged ... pause [I'M REALLY WINGING IT NOW].....

John Crace: The question that flummoxed the great orator | World news | The Guardian

John Crace

Barack Obama, the World's Greatest Orator (™all news organisations), didn't exactly cover himself in glory when the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson asked him a question about who was to blame for the financial crisis. Normally word perfect, Obama ummed, ahed and waffled for the best part of two and a half minutes. Here, John Crace decodes what he was really thinking ...

Nick Robinson: "A question for you both, if I may. The prime minister has repeatedly blamed the United States of America for causing this crisis. France and Germany both blame Britain and America for causing this crisis. Who is right? And isn't the debate about that at the heart of the debate about what to do now?" Brown immediately swivels to leave Obama in pole position. There is a four-second delay before Obama starts speaking [THANKS FOR NOTHING, GORDY BABY. REMIND ME TO HANG YOU OUT TO DRY ONE DAY.] Barack Obama: "I, I, would say that, er ... pause [I HAVEN'T A CLUE] ... if you look at ... pause [WHO IS THIS NICK ROBINSON JERK?] ... the, the sources of this crisis ... pause [JUST KEEP GOING, BUDDY] ... the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to . . . pause [I'M IN WAY TOO DEEP HERE] ... a regulatory system that was inadequate to the massive changes that have taken place in the global financial system ... pause, close eyes [THIS IS GOING TO GO DOWN LIKE A CROCK OF SHIT BACK HOME. HELP]. I think what is also true is that ... pause [I WANT NICK ROBINSON TO DISAPPEAR] ... here in Great Britain ... pause [SHIT, GORDY'S THE HOST, DON'T LAND HIM IN IT] ... here in continental Europe ... pause [DAMN IT, BLAME EVERYONE.] ... around the world. We were seeing the same mismatch between the regulatory regimes that were in place and er ... pause [I'VE LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT AGAIN] ... the highly integrated, er, global capital markets that have emerged ... pause [I'M REALLY WINGING IT NOW].....

Well, it might not be the funniest analysis of what was said but it could be the dumbest.

John Crace

Well, it might not be the funniest analysis of what was said but it could be the dumbest.

No, one of the funniest.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3zft6_mZjs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3zft6_mZjs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

He sure made us proud.

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. famously said of Franklin Roosevelt that he had a "second-class intellect, but a first-class temperament." ... Obama has both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament.
Charles Krauthammer

Without his commentary:

Barack Obama: "I, I, would say that, er...if you look at ...the, the sources of this crisis ... the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to ... a regulatory system that was inadequate to the massive changes that have taken place in the global financial system ... I think what is also true is that ... here in Great Britain...here in continental Europe ...around the world. We were seeing the same mismatch between the regulatory regimes that were in place and er...the highly integrated, er, global capital markets that have emerged ...

You're kidding right?

Oh...never mind. He didn't have a teleprompter.

He really needs to stay away from these interviews. Every time I hear him on the radio, I know if there is a teleprompter just by the number of uhhs and ummms he mutters.

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. famously said of Franklin Roosevelt that he had a "second-class intellect, but a first-class temperament." ... Obama has both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament.
Charles Krauthammer

Here's someone who's known him for a long time who'd agree that he has a fine mind, though not 'intellectual.' Seems he stands in awe of his temperament:

Crisis & the Law with Richard Epstein: Chapter 5 of 5 - Uncommon Knowledge on National Review Online

Last edited:
Charles Krauthammer

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. famously said of Franklin Roosevelt that he had a "second-class intellect, but a first-class temperament." Obama has shown that he is a man of limited experience, questionable convictions, deeply troubling associations (Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, Tony Rezko) and an alarming lack of self-definition -- do you really know who he is and what he believes? Nonetheless, he's got both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament. That will likely be enough to make him president.
-- Charles Krauthammer

You conveniently left out half the quote and took it out of context. Typical liberal. That was a bit deceptive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/02/AR2008100203043.html

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I don't think he is much oif any smarter than Bush. He sure doesn't sound anymore elequent than Bush when he is without a teleprompter. And he certainly doesn't seem to be governing a lot different than Bush.

Charles Krauthammer

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. famously said of Franklin Roosevelt that he had a "second-class intellect, but a first-class temperament." Obama has shown that he is a man of limited experience, questionable convictions, deeply troubling associations (Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, Tony Rezko) and an alarming lack of self-definition -- do you really know who he is and what he believes? Nonetheless, he's got both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament. That will likely be enough to make him president.
-- Charles Krauthammer

You conveniently left out half the quote and took it out of context. Typical liberal. That was a bit deceptive.

Charles Krauthammer - Hail Mary vs. Cool Barry - washingtonpost.com

Deceptive? Not really...

DOES Charles Krauthammer say Obama has a first class intellect?
DOES Charles Krauthammer say Obama has a first class temperment?
DOES Charles Krauthammer say Nonetheless, he's got both ...

Charles Krauthammer

-- Charles Krauthammer

Deceptive? Not really...

Actually, deceptive is a good word for it, though "typical liberal" is not a good assertion. You didn't lie, you just avoided the less than pleasant parts to make it sound better than it was.

-- Charles Krauthammer

Deceptive? Not really...

Actually, deceptive is a good word for it, though "typical liberal" is not a good assertion. You didn't lie, you just avoided the less than pleasant parts to make it sound better than it was.

OK, then how's THIS...

Obama has both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament.
Charles Krauthammer

Charles Krauthammer

-- Charles Krauthammer

Deceptive? Not really...

If not to be deceptive then why did you insert the ellipsis and leave out salient points?

Without his commentary:

Barack Obama: "I, I, would say that, er...if you look at ...the, the sources of this crisis ... the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to ... a regulatory system that was inadequate to the massive changes that have taken place in the global financial system ... I think what is also true is that ... here in Great Britain...here in continental Europe ...around the world. We were seeing the same mismatch between the regulatory regimes that were in place and er...the highly integrated, er, global capital markets that have emerged ...

You're kidding right?

Oh...never mind. He didn't have a teleprompter.

He really needs to stay away from these interviews. Every time I hear him on the radio, I know if there is a teleprompter just by the number of uhhs and ummms he mutters.

Even at his worst, President Obama is head and shoulders above Bush at his best.

Forum List

Back