People are leaving California for... of all places: Arkansas

People are friendly there. Alot of poverty though. Hopefully welfare and Medicare payments are helping.
I've been to AR. I didn't see a lot of poverty.. but oh well anyway

Poverty is not as bad as some things... like ripping off the taxpayers.. opening wide the borders of our country to any old freak...

Poor people are saints in comparison

N. Western Ark near Dollyworld is right nice. They got sum good fishin' too. Lake's aren't mah cup a tea, though.

Ah drove true dem Ozarks once, and there was sum sorry dawgs.

Mom was from Dardanelle (sp?). We lived in Houston and she and her family never went back to Arkansas for decades after they left. But they owned some land up there. Anyway, one day we went up there one time after she had passed away to see about the land that she and her brothers owned.

So we get up there and we can’t find the address. There is this junkyard that seems to have no boundaries...it expands and shrinks based on what gets taken or added. It turns out that the junkyard isn’t really a business to where someone has a service buying and selling cars, appliances, etc... It just happens to be the space that the area has decided will become their place to dump shit that nobody wants.

So I look at my brothers and say this is a nightmare. "What in the hell are we going to do?” We didn’t really want the land but we were still paying the smidgen of taxes on it every year or so. No way we wanted to pay to clear it... To their credit (this wouldn’t happen in California), when we went to the County offices to explain what had happened....they just sort of did an “aw shucks” type of thing and let us donate it to the county. They even paid us back the taxes we’ve been paying--I think it was like $170 bucks or something.

Its pretty country up there. But really...its’ Arkansas. No comparison to California.

Here is the part where someone pops off and says it’s much better. Sure.

There are always public bathrooms..

Uh.....not really. The ones out there had to be closed due to the gays, druggers and people moving in to live there. Any that are left are generally closed to non-paying customers, like inside a Macys or other.

Uh.....not really. The ones out there had to be closed due to the gays, druggers and people moving in to live there. Any that are left are generally closed to non-paying customers, like inside a Macys or other.
BS

Anyone can find a Wal Mart, buy a few bananas

or some other store. Then there are libraries and etc..

There is NO excuse for that!

Maybe they heard AR has a Republican governor, daughter of another R governor?

Or maybe they are just SICK of the California
Or, God forbid, they are escaping unacceptable conditions in California to a much more cost of living friendly (and aesthetically beautiful) state figuring they can change the political environment after they get there. Which, if there are enough citizen migrants, can easily happen as we all know.

We were offered free land and help with building a home on it in Arkansas once and seriously thought about it. We have a lot of family there. And few have any interest in leaving.

An article from an extremely unpopular governor. OK sure.
Meanwhile Arkansas is ranked #45.
#49 in crime
#47 in healthcare
#43 in education

Parents lived in West Memphis for awhile. They moved back to Houston as soon as they could.

California is a victim of its own success, but now only the homeless are moving there to get some dignity as opposed to hiding in red states... go West young man is seriously over- time for the country to be an adult and give us a good Safety Net. go West was always a bit of a fake anyway.

Northwest Arkansas has grown quite a bit over the years due to the presence of Walmart.

If you've never been there (to the NW part), it is beautiful. It has rolling hills (close to the ozarks) and nice weather (except it gets a lot of ice).

I used to go there on business and I thought it was a great place.

Bella Vista was a place many in the Midwest retired to. The largest activity (and it has plenty of golf courses) in the town is investing clubs......so it has money.

In the fall, as things changed, those hills were fabulous.

An article from an extremely unpopular governor. OK sure.
Meanwhile Arkansas is ranked #45.
#49 in crime
#47 in healthcare
#43 in education

Parents lived in West Memphis for awhile. They moved back to Houston as soon as they could.
No offense, but I don't even get off the interstate near West Memphis when I circle round heading for Chicago.

Ah dead buy a huntin' dawg ferm Riverwood Kennels years back, right near da River, but I thayk thays jus fer Labs now. Dog didn' hunt deer, nether.

Forum List

Back