People are commiting sucide because of Pain.

Long time friend died last week. In pain. Intense pain. He was know to be terminal for several months but was denied relief out of concern that he might be long-term addicted.

Brilliant.

“Patients with chronic pain, who are stable and, arguably, benefiting from long-term opioids, face draconian and often rapid involuntary dose reductions,” the letter continued. “Often, alternative pain care options are not offered, not covered by insurers, or not accessible … Consequently, patients have endured not only unnecessary suffering, but some have turned to suicide or illicit substance use. Others have experienced preventable hospitalizations or medical deterioration.”

The real facts are not being reported by the CDC because it show error in how they approached the problem, and the increase in older people dying from suicide has greatly increased. Just one of many stories:
Meredith Lawrence, who lived in Tennessee with her husband, Jay, while he suffered decades of pain following a tractor-trailer accident, recalled the helplessness she felt watching him suffer, while his dosage of opioids was being sharply reduced.

Lawrence said the doctor who had treated him successfully for years was very clear about his decision to taper down the dosage.

“He said ‘My patients’ quality of life is not worth risking my practice or my license over,'" she told Fox News. "I’ll never forget that.”

“Jay felt like they gave up on him,” she said, recalling what finally prompted her husband to kill himself. “That was the day Jay gave up. He felt the doctor gave up – and he gave up.”Doctors caught between struggling opioid patients and crackdown on prescriptions

This is medical malpractice on a grand scale--on a scale only the federal gov't could mess up. First, by saying patients should have all the opioids they can swallow....then, well, that wasn't so smart, so now, the total opposite of that.

Everything was fine when decent restraint was used. But the stupid gov't bureaucrats had to get their fingers in the pie. I feel so bad for people in chronic pain, I really do. I would look at all avenues for pain control at this point if I had to, that were not opioid based. God bless.

Forum List

Back