Pelosi A Dangerous Woman??

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Parsing Pelosi
January 6th, 2006

On June 10, 1998, Rep. Porter Goss (R-FL), then Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and now CIA Director, held a public hearing on the issue of whistleblowers in the intelligence community (IC). The concern of those in the Congress was that information, especially classified information, that the intelligence committees of both the House and Senate should be receiving or be aware of, was, in fact, being prevented from reaching them. This was, at least in part, because of the fears of those within the IC that by providing such information, either directly to Congress or through departmental inspector generals, they would find themselves punished in one manner or another for their having gone around or outside their own organizations.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), currently House Minority Leader and in 1998 a member of the House Select Intelligence Committee, is certainly not shy about criticizing President Bush for authorizing warrantless NSA intercepts of communications between an overseas terrorist suspect and a domestically located US person. There has even been some speculation that perhaps she is the source of the leaks to the New York Times that provided the basis for their story regarding warrantless “domestic spying” by the NSA. She was certainly aware of the practice as evidenced by her releasing a recently declassified letter, written in October of 2001, from her to the NSA asking if the President had authorized these intercepts. And thus, she was knowledgeable regarding the issue at the time the Times reporter James Risen first became aware of the story.

Now, this is all pure speculation, and in no way whatsoever constitutes an indictment of Ms. Pelosi. However, her current performance seems at odds with some past statements of hers made as a member of the House Intelligence Committee. This becomes obvious when reading the following segment from a transcript of the committee hearing. Please note that Ms. Martin, Director, Center for National Security Studies, was a witness called to testify and Mr. Bishop, a Democratic Representative from Georgia, was then a member of the House Intelligence Committee:

MARTIN: What the whistleblowers do is give you some more assurance that you’ll get the information you’re entitled to and you need. And when the Justice Department says, “Well, it’s just a question of how you get it,” in fact, I think that Representative Pelosi is correct. Their position is—and if you read their legal opinions and their testimony—that you have no right to this information now. And that’s why the employees may not come tell you now.

And that’s a pretty extreme position. And I think it’s a position that’s unconstitutional and interferes with your responsibilities.

GOSS: We have a lot of discussion on that subject, actually. It seems that most of the information I want, that I think that the committee needs to have is the subject of investigation by the DOJ, which we’d best not get involved with because it would upset their investigation.

And I must say I’m getting a little tired of that. But let me go back to the purpose of why we’re here today. And before I do, I’ll ask for any last comment or question from members so that we can dismiss the panel promptly.

You had a comment, Ms. Pelosi? Please.

PELOSI: Mr. Chairman, I want to associate myself with the remarks of Representative Harman when she appreciated the bipartisan nature…

GOSS: Thank you.

PELOSI: ... of the way you conduct our committee and our hearings. And as you know, I hold our chairman in the highest regard.

GOSS: Thank you.

PELOSI: And also his respect for confidentiality of classified information. We’ve served on two committees of this kind together. And you couldn’t get a word out of either of us, right?

GOSS: Right.

PELOSI: On any of this. And having just said that, I do want to, because of the issue at hand, say however this goes—and I’m listening and I appreciate the chairman’s flexibility—that while I understand the concern that the chairman and others have had and has been expressed by Mr. Lewis about the end use of the information that Mr. Nuccio (ph) disclosed to a member of this committee, that I just don’t see what options Mr. Nuccio had with the information that he had, the timeliness of it, the fact that it wasn’t being made known to the Congress of the United States.

And I can’t really say—as committed as I am to the confidentiality that we all must have here—respect for classified information that we have here and in other committees we have served on together, that it would be hard to see how a person of conscience with information, who cannot get it brought forward should be punished and have his security clearance removed because he revealed classified information to a member of Permanent Select Committee—House Permanent Subcommittee on Intelligence. He was not responsible for the end use.

And without going into how we all think about what the end use was, he was not responsible for that. He was responsible for the information he had and the oath that he took to this country.

And I simply believe that it is a grave injustice to Mr. Nuccio(ph). And I just wanted to put that on the record. Once again, Mr. Chairman, holding you in the high esteem that I do, I won’t take any longer on that subject.

GOSS: Thank you. Did you have any further comment, Mr. Bishop?

BISHOP: No, Mr. Chairman. I, too, associate myself with the remarks of Ms. Harman and Ms. Pelosi…

GOSS: Thank you very much.

BISHOP: ... and the nonpartisan way that you’ve approached this issue and all issues. And I want the chairman to know that I certainly appreciate very much your efforts in this regard….

There are at least three things that strike one regarding Nancy Pelosi’s performance during this hearing:

1. How gushingly fawning she is while voicing her appreciation to Chairman Goss, “for the bipartisan nature of the way you conduct our committee and our hearings. And as you know, I hold our chairman in the highest regard.” Good grief! Whatever happened to all that bipartisanship?

2. Ms. Pelosi leaves no doubt as to how important she regards the sanctity of protecting classified information when she states, “And also his (Goss’s) respect for confidentiality of classified information. We’ve served on two committees of this kind together. And you couldn’t get a word out of either of us, right?”; as well as, “And I can’t really say—as committed as I am to the confidentiality that we all must have here—respect for classified information that we have here and in other committees we have served on together, that it would be hard to see how a person of conscience with information, who cannot get it brought forward should be punished and have his security clearance removed because he revealed classified information to a member of Permanent Select Committee…”

3. Keep in mind that the above hearing was five-and-a-half years into the Clinton Administration and they’re the one’s keeping Congress in the dark and whacking, metaphorically one trusts, the whistleblowers. Fast forward to the present and we have the Bush Administration fully informing the Congress while Pelosi sits on the NSA intercept information for four years before deciding it’s an investigable situation.

Or did she?

According to Robert Novak,

“The Democratic Caucus vote that propelled Pelosi to power was cast Oct. 10, 2001, when Pelosi defeated Hoyer for party whip, 118 to 95.”

And the New York Times reports that

“The N.S.A. operation prompted questions from a leading Democrat, Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, who said in an Oct. 11, 2001, letter to a top intelligence official that she was concerned about the agency’s legal authority to expand its domestic operations, the documents showed.”

The day after she became Minority Whip. And not a peep since. Hmmm?

The Democrats may have just jumped off the cliff with this one. Without a parachute.

Dennis Sevakis

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5131

Clintons been out of office for a while.

Ahhh yes...Blame Clinton. How sadly typical of you. What does Dubbyuh have to do to inspire your approbation...? Strangle a girl scout on the White House lawn? But your reaction to that would likely be "She deserved it!" :rolleyes:

Bush isn't dumb. He's not terribly bright, but he isn't dumb. His problem is not his intelligence, it's his spine. He's weak, and easily led by the strings by the neocons surrounding him. It's been a long time since the President actually controlled the White House.

As far as Nancy Pelosi, she's a fool. She found herself in a position of power, and has gone overboard to try to go on the attack, without an army at her back. She's turned herself into a female Howard Dean -- in short, a joke.

Nightwish said:
Bush isn't dumb. He's not terribly bright, but he isn't dumb. His problem is not his intelligence, it's his spine. He's weak, and easily led by the strings by the neocons surrounding him. It's been a long time since the President actually controlled the White House.

As far as Nancy Pelosi, she's a fool. She found herself in a position of power, and has gone overboard to try to go on the attack, without an army at her back. She's turned herself into a female Howard Dean -- in short, a joke.

What is the neocon agenda, besides american strength and active global leadership going forward? ANd why do you have a problem with it?

rtwngAvngr said:
What is the neocon agenda, besides american strength and active global leadership going forward? ANd why do you have a problem with it?
They're reckless. They are more concerned with presenting a strong military image of the US upon the face of the rest of the world than they are with our actual security. They want war. They say exactly as much a .pdf document at the PNAC website. I don't feel like looking it up at the moment, but one of their stated plans is to test our military strengths and strategies by encouraging US engagement in no less than four full-scale foreign theaters of war in the near future. They're basically trying to become the NWO (not the wrestlers), shrouded in an American flag, and they aren't encouraging war for the sake of spreading democracy, they're encouraging it for the sake of showing the world we're in charge. They're Globalists wearing a thin disguise of Nationalism, which is probably why you've been hoodwinked into liking them.

Nightwish said:
They're reckless. They are more concerned with presenting a strong military image of the US upon the face of the rest of the world than they are with our actual security. They want war. They say exactly as much a .pdf document at the PNAC website. They're basically trying to become the NWO (not the wrestlers), shrouded in an American flag. They're Globalists wearing a thin disguise of Nationalism, which is probably why you've been hoodwinked into liking them.

No. They're willing to protect america. And willing to ignore idiotic ideas from the UN. They want to be global leaders, not global tyrants. But thanks for answering, that's better than most would do. Thanks for that, seriously. So many come here, shout some nonsense, and scamper away. Thanks for having some depth.

Bullypulpit said:
Ahhh yes...Blame Clinton. How sadly typical of you. What does Dubbyuh have to do to inspire your approbation...? Strangle a girl scout on the White House lawn? But your reaction to that would likely be "She deserved it!" :rolleyes:

You're the one who brought Clinton up.

Considering President Bush doesn't do alot of things wrong why would anyone expect him to strangle a girl scout?

If you want people to think President Bush is wrong, then just provide evidence for things he has done wrong. But if you are just going to start saying "Bush is stupid" then you need some evidence to back it up. And btw talking with an accent hardly makes you stupid. The fact is President Bush has been wiping the floor with Democrats for 6 years. If he is an idiot, then Democrats are even dumber.

SpidermanTuba said:
Wow. Another right winger starting a thread with nothing but a copy of someone elses article - without even making a comment on it. How original.

And you still unable to respond to anything. Big surprise.

SpidermanTuba said:
Wow. Another right winger starting a thread with nothing but a copy of someone elses article - without even making a comment on it. How original.

You'r sounding like a broken record *kicks* broken record *hit's* broken. Ah silence is golden. :rotflmao:

You're the one who brought Clinton up.
Where? He mentioned a dangerous dummy in the White House, a rather obvious reference to Bush, as you well know. For the record, no I don't think Bush is dumb, but you're being disingenuous to pretend for more than one post that you thought he was talking about Clinton.

Considering President Bush doesn't do alot of things wrong
If by "wrong," you mean illegal, then no, he hasn't done a lot of things wrong, although the wire-tapping scandal is still under investigation, which could prove to be very illegal. And I don't know if falsifying information in a State of the Union address by presenting it as factual three months after the CIA had specifically told him it wasn't is technically illegal, but it's pretty deliberately shady. But if by "wrong," you mean screwed up, well, I don't think anybody, even the right, can say he hasn't done plenty of that.

If you want people to think President Bush is wrong, then just provide evidence for things he has done wrong. But if you are just going to start saying "Bush is stupid" then you need some evidence to back it up. And btw talking with an accent hardly makes you stupid. The fact is President Bush has been wiping the floor with Democrats for 6 years. If he is an idiot, then Democrats are even dumber.
Bush isn't stupid, he's just weak and easily manipulated by Cheney et al. As far as wiping the floor with the Democrats, Bush hasn't had much of anything to do with that. The Dems have shot themselves in the foot. They've had numerous opportunities over the past six years to get a foot up on the Republicans, but have failed or refused to seize those opportunities. Either they are completely inept, or they were employing a strategy of giving the Republicans enough rope to hang themselves. If it's the latter, it does appear to be working in recent months, with all the scandals that are suddenly riveting the GOP, but I strong doubt the Dems were actually foreseeing all that. I think they just were inept about putting the right people in the right strategic positions. Howard Dean as Chairman of the DNC? Get real!

Nightwish said:
Where? He mentioned a dangerous dummy in the White House, a rather obvious reference to Bush, as you well know. For the record, no I don't think Bush is dumb, but you're being disingenuous to pretend for more than one post that you thought he was talking about Clinton.

If by "wrong," you mean illegal, then no, he hasn't done a lot of things wrong, although the wire-tapping scandal is still under investigation, which could prove to be very illegal. And I don't know if falsifying information in a State of the Union address by presenting it as factual three months after the CIA had specifically told him it wasn't is technically illegal, but it's pretty deliberately shady. But if by "wrong," you mean screwed up, well, I don't think anybody, even the right, can say he hasn't done plenty of that.

Bush isn't stupid, he's just weak and easily manipulated by Cheney et al. As far as wiping the floor with the Democrats, Bush hasn't had much of anything to do with that. The Dems have shot themselves in the foot. They've had numerous opportunities over the past six years to get a foot up on the Republicans, but have failed or refused to seize those opportunities. Either they are completely inept, or they were employing a strategy of giving the Republicans enough rope to hang themselves. If it's the latter, it does appear to be working in recent months, with all the scandals that are suddenly riveting the GOP, but I strong doubt the Dems were actually foreseeing all that. I think they just were inept about putting the right people in the right strategic positions. Howard Dean as Chairman of the DNC? Get real!

So many scandals? What are they nightwish? I can think of one confirmed and the rest are allegations? Can you please fill me in on All the scandals, I'm dying to know?

Stephanie said:
So many scandals? What are they nightwish? I can think of one confirmed and the rest are allegations? Can you please fill me in on All the scandals, I'm dying to know?
Tom Delay's money-laundering charges (he's also implicated in the Abramoff scandal).
Bush's wire-tapping scandal.
The Pentagon watch-list scandal.
The Abramoff scandal (he's naming names, and that one is blossoming to the point a lot of politicians are scared, some of being indicted, and others of losing their congressional seats because of the cost of this scandal to the GOP).

Those are the main ones that are backed by pretty good evidence, or confessions. It's looking more and more like Tom Delay is going to be prosecuted for the money laundering, though that's still not a foregone conclusion. Bush freely admits to the wire-tapping, and that is still under investigation to see if his spurious claims of constitutional authority have any merit at all. The Pentagon scandal is verified, the actual reports were discovered and disclosed. And you already know about the Abramoff scandal and where it could lead.

Nightwish said:
Tom Delay's money-laundering charges (he's also implicated in the Abramoff scandal).
The Abramoff scandal (he's naming names, and that one is blossoming to the point a lot of politicians are scared, some of being indicted, and others of losing their congressional seats because of the cost of this scandal to the GOP).

Those are the main ones that are backed by pretty good evidence, or confessions. It's looking more and more like Tom Delay is going to be prosecuted for the money laundering, though that's still not a foregone conclusion. Bush freely admits to the wire-tapping, and that is still under investigation to see if his spurious claims of constitutional authority have any merit at all. The Pentagon scandal is verified, the actual reports were discovered and disclosed. And you already know about the Abramoff scandal and where it could lead.
Delay is not a 'Bush scandal'. The GOP will be well served if they clear out those implicated by Abramoff, so would the DNC, doubt if either party will. Regarding the NSA kerfuffle, that will not go anywhere, Congress cannot legislate away executive authority.

Please tell what you are referrring to with Pentagon 'watch list.'

Nightwish said:

So let me see that is by your count three or four, (sucks in breath) holy shoot. I'm shocked. These are all allegations my dear.
Here's a little something I just googled, such a feeble old lady like myself can even accomplish, Yikes, it's shocking....
RECORDS SET

- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly (Man I wish that one was never included)
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations
Abramoff Issue's Fallout May Extend Beyond the GOP
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/02/AR2005060202158_2.html
This doesn't say HOW many democrat's were involed, but my last count it was up too at least 30 and upwards.
Yea RIGHT,THE SCANDALS are running rampant amongest the Bush and republicans of today.... you yourself can only come up with four, if that. As I said there all allegations, until proven otherwise. Yet you all have them all tried and convicted. Well it's not happening out into the mainstream America, whereas we ARE CONNECTED TO THE REAL WORLD, BELIVE IT OR NOT.
I'ts so darn easy today to counter the total Bs, MSM, Demo, spin, that even an old lady like me way up here in Alaska can retrieve the true information, but you all just think were all too stupid to understand... Gosh I love the information Highway...
Well gooooollllleeeyyyy, yuk, yuk.

Nightwish said:

Wire tapping is hardly a scandal. Since when is using the Constitutionally authorized executive power a scandal?

Delay will be survive the so called money laundering charges without a problem. It's kind of difficult to prove someone violates a law that was nonexistant at the time it supposedly was violated. And regardless Delay's predicament has nothing to do with President Bush.

What is this so called Pentagon scandal? This is the first I've heard of it and I keep up to date in news so it can't have been than huge a scandal.

As for Abramoff, I see no connection with the Bush administration again. It looks like its going to hurt Democrats just as much if not more than any republicans it hurts. And it should hurt any politician stupid enough to be crooked.

Oh, and just so you know the President didnt falsify information in the state of the Union address. The fact is everything the President said was true.

The fact is the only reason liberals hate President Bush is because he beat them. Period. He hasn't done anything illegal. And quite honestly I have yet to see any one who hates Bush show that he has done anything wrong. I know there are a few things that I would have done differently. But those are mostly minor things. My biggest complaint is immigration. But then considering my immigration solutions are not likely going to ever be public policy despite how good I think they are it hardly matters.

Forum List

Back