Pedestrianism Prose: Consumerism Dread?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
You have to wonder if the lush imagery in modern-age films compels people to ponder how fictional characters resemble real-world people.

For example, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Kirsten Dunst portray brooding vampires in New Orleans in Neil Jordan's pedestrianism-consciousness film Interview with the Vampire. You may naturally want to imagine that their fictional vampire-characters represent real-life 'pedestrian poets and philosophers' thinking about the impact of immigration and consumerism on human optimism, intelligence, and even social etiquette.

Have we become vampires guzzling down cheeseburgers and staring like zombies at computer screens and smartphones and Facebook pages in this new age of commerce-driven lifestyle?

There must be a way to coordinate pop-culture art and media with modern social values. Such a 'motivation' is even imprinted in movies(!) --- e.g., The Truman Show, Celebrity, and 15 Minutes.

{reinterpreted dialogue}

====

LOUIS: I'm tired of being a vampire, Lestat. I want to embrace 'TrumpUSA.'
LESTAT: Oh, Louis! Always the romantic. Starbucks is as shallow as blood-drives...
LOUIS: Don't get erudite, Lestat. I'm talking about 'normal life.'
LESTAT: Do you think Burger King is 'normal,' Louis?
LOUIS: It's as normal as 4th of July, Lestat.
LESTAT: Not everyone can afford a backyard Hebrew National BBQ on the 4th of July, Louis.
LOUIS: What are you suggesting? Vampirism is a cure to 'mob psychology'?
LESTAT: No, I'm simply saying consumers are vampires too...
LOUIS: Is that good or bad, Lestat?
LESTAT: Very clever, my friend. Remember, I'm your teacher. Americans care nothing for 'quills.'
LOUIS: Perhaps Americans are 'convenience-prone,' but they certainly care about cinema!
LESTAT: The difference between art and life is politics, Louis (e.g., Wall Street).
LOUIS: Modernism does not have to mean a corruption of ancient values...
LESTAT: Show me a 'TrumpUSA' solution to Sunni-Shia troubles (in Syria/Iran), and I'll show you vegans!
LOUIS: If we were immigrants (instead of Americans), Lestat, we'd be more sensitive about shopping.
LESTAT: Vampires are consumers too. I repeat Louis --- the evil of politics is the evil of multiculturalism...

CLAUDIA: Will you two be quiet, already? I'm trying to focus on the colorful Mardi Gras thoroughfare...

====

ivp.jpg

Forum List

Back