Pearl Harbor

One of the interesting side notes is that it is thought that Yamamoto never really said his "sleeping giant" quote, but it was a combination of the following actual quotes made by him:

Should hostilities once break out between Japan and the United States, it is not enough that we take Guam and the Philippines, nor even Hawaii and San Francisco. To make victory certain, we would have to march into Washington and dictate the terms of peace in the White House. I wonder if our politicians, among whom armchair arguments about war are being glibly bandied about in the name of state politics, have confidence as to the final outcome and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices.

A military man can scarcely pride himself on having "smitten a sleeping enemy"; it is more a matter of shame, simply, for the one smitten. I would rather you made your appraisal after seeing what the enemy does, since it is certain that, angered and outraged, he will soon launch a determined counterattack.

In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success.

Thanks- great correction of an oft misquote.

It is a misquote, but it does summarize his feelings on the matter. So not accurate at all, but still indicative of his thoughts at the time.

Let the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 drama finally just die. Focus instead on the present and the vast future ahead of us.

Fuck you. That's why we apparently haven't learned a thing, it would seem, from either event. It's people like you who spout such ridiculousness like let's just march forward. An intelligent people learn from mistakes, that's why we study history.

There is a profound difference between learning from the past and mindlessly obsessing over it.

With all the shit going on, it's a bit lost in the shuffle.

Remember.

pearl3.jpg
And here we are once again ignorant to the obvious threat to our nation.

Let the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 drama finally just die. Focus instead on the present and the vast future ahead of us.
Is it true? Is ignorance truely bliss?

Learn from the past, just don't obsess over it.

How can one learn from the past when you say forget about it?

If you hate flags flying on 12/7, 7/4, 9/11 etc I Suggest you seek professional help.

I didn't say anything about forgetting the past... I said "let the drama just die". I also said nothing about hating flags.

If you hate flags flying on 12/7, 7/4, 9/11 etc I Suggest you seek professional help.

I didn't say anything about forgetting the past... I said "let the drama just die". I also said nothing about hating flags.

Putting a historical picture up gets you upset.
Seek professional help.

Seek professional help.

Nope, I am not upset either. I was just helping the easily manipulated American masses open their eyes so that they do not allow dates like 9/11 and 12/7 to keep them in a perpetual, dramatic cycle of mundane subservience and indoctrination.

Seek professional help.

Nope, I am not upset either. I was just helping the easily manipulated American masses open their eyes so that they do not allow dates like 9/11 and 12/7 to keep them in a perpetual, dramatic cycle of mundane subservience and indoctrination.

Seek professional help. Your college programming needs to be erased so you can enjoy the greatest nation in the world.

Seek professional help.

Seek professional help. Your college programming needs to be erased so you can enjoy the greatest nation in the world.

quote-when-the-debate-is-lost-slander-becomes-the-tool-of-the-loser-socrates-67-31-29.jpg

...slept the sleep of the saved...
His exact words as I know, which is what made me think of him.

The real question, did we let Pearl Harbor happen because we had to get into the damn war and America wasn't going to?

I don't believe any of these conspiracy theories. At that moment our military was in no shape to fight anyone and if the Japanese had landed large forces on the West coast our own military was sure we couldn't stop them before the Mississippi. And our Pacific fleet was the only real power we had in the entire Pacific, it wouldn't have been sacrificed, especially the carriers.

And we certainly would have gotten into the war a lot sooner. Germany attacked Britain in summer 1940 and we let them fight alone for a year and a half.

Remembering Pearl Harbor.

The attack on Pearl Harbor was tactically brilliant on the Japanese side and very successful relatively speaking. They sank 21 ships and caused a lot of damage for sure, but they missed the fuel dumps which was critical in the coming months.

But the idea that Japan could defeat the US in a real drawn out war was folly on the part of the Japanese military. Even in 1940 the Japanese ship building budget was 1/10th of the US ship building budget. This before the US was in the war. Add to it the gigantic US industrial capability and Japan had no chance. Yamamoto told the high command in Japan that fighting the US would be like fighting the entire world. That once US industry was ramped up on a war footing there was no beating America at war. And he was right. Six months after Pearl Harbor the Battle of Midway, with the sinking of four Japanese aircraft carriers with the loss of one US carrier, ended Japan's military expansion and dominance of the Pacific Ocean for good. Of the 21 ships sunk at Pearl Harbor 18 were refloated and repaired.

It is a little difficult to see how the heads of the military in Japan ever thought they could win a war with the US. But men hellbent on conquest rarely see with clarity do they.

Forum List

Back