Pearl Harbor

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
With all the shit going on, it's a bit lost in the shuffle.

Remember.

pearl3.jpg

I've been to the USS Arizona memorial....very sobering. The greatest generation and we've let them down so bad

One of the interesting side notes is that it is thought that Yamamoto never really said his "sleeping giant" quote, but it was a combination of the following actual quotes made by him:

Should hostilities once break out between Japan and the United States, it is not enough that we take Guam and the Philippines, nor even Hawaii and San Francisco. To make victory certain, we would have to march into Washington and dictate the terms of peace in the White House. I wonder if our politicians, among whom armchair arguments about war are being glibly bandied about in the name of state politics, have confidence as to the final outcome and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices.

A military man can scarcely pride himself on having "smitten a sleeping enemy"; it is more a matter of shame, simply, for the one smitten. I would rather you made your appraisal after seeing what the enemy does, since it is certain that, angered and outraged, he will soon launch a determined counterattack.

In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success.

Remember.

pearl3.jpg

The History channel and H2 are currently showing the best documentary coverage of the entire Pearl Harbor history that I've ever seen or heard about. I'm 81 years old. I was visiting my grandparents when this happened and I remember my uncles stringing a new wire antenna outside for the old mid 30's model RCA battery powered radio on which we listened to Roosevelt's declaration of war speech. Those were the "Old Days." The "Good Old Days" were yesterday and the day before.

I've been to the USS Arizona memorial....very sobering. The greatest generation and we've let them down so bad

My wife and I visited the memorial in the late 1990's when we took a Hawaiian vacation and visited three islands. I was amazed at how many Japanese people were there and how unusually quiet everyone was. You could hear a pin drop.

Stationed in Pearl for 4 years, \

Saw a lot of the monument.

Thanks for your service. The young man who married my oldest granddaughter served in Iraq two tours, was stationed in Germany for three years and now he's stationed at Camp Humphreys in Korea flying Chinooks along the demilitarized zone. He received his pilot's training at Ft. Rucker, Alabama.

Let the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 drama finally just die. Focus instead on the present and the vast future ahead of us.

Remember.

pearl3.jpg

What if Barrack Hussein Obama had been President on December 7' 1941?

What if Geroge W. Bush had been president Dec. 7,1941.....he's good at invading wrong countries. I'll give ten to one odds he would have bombed Mexico....it's a lot more convenient than having to fly all the way to Asia.

Churchill was very pleased that we were now in the war.

I read that he mentioned to one of his aides the next morning that he had slept the sleep of the saved. He knew that once the war machine and industrial might of the US got into full swing the Germany and Japan had no chance.

One of the interesting side notes is that it is thought that Yamamoto never really said his "sleeping giant" quote, but it was a combination of the following actual quotes made by him:

Should hostilities once break out between Japan and the United States, it is not enough that we take Guam and the Philippines, nor even Hawaii and San Francisco. To make victory certain, we would have to march into Washington and dictate the terms of peace in the White House. I wonder if our politicians, among whom armchair arguments about war are being glibly bandied about in the name of state politics, have confidence as to the final outcome and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices.

A military man can scarcely pride himself on having "smitten a sleeping enemy"; it is more a matter of shame, simply, for the one smitten. I would rather you made your appraisal after seeing what the enemy does, since it is certain that, angered and outraged, he will soon launch a determined counterattack.

In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success.

Thanks- great correction of an oft misquote.

Remember.

pearl3.jpg

What if Barrack Hussein Obama had been President on December 7' 1941?

What if Geroge W. Bush had been president Dec. 7,1941.....he's good at invading wrong countries. I'll give ten to one odds he would have bombed Mexico....it's a lot more convenient than having to fly all the way to Asia.
Given the immigration problem it could have been a prophetic move.

Last edited:
Let the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 drama finally just die. Focus instead on the present and the vast future ahead of us.

Fuck you. That's why we apparently haven't learned a thing, it would seem, from either event. It's people like you who spout such ridiculousness like let's just march forward. An intelligent people learn from mistakes, that's why we study history, imbecile!

Forum List

Back