PC Alert! Middle School Honors Night too "exclusive"

"By having the recognition ceremonies during team-based ceremonies, it will "afford us the opportunity to celebrate the individual and collective success of all students and their effort, progress and excellence."

Celebrating the individual in team based ceremonies by affording the individual and collective success of all students? What the hell is all of that gibberish.

that means....and read this slowly....They give out the reward during a ceremony where the whole class is there.

CRAZY

"By having the recognition ceremonies during team-based ceremonies, it will "afford us the opportunity to celebrate the individual and collective success of all students and their effort, progress and excellence."

Celebrating the individual in team based ceremonies by affording the individual and collective success of all students? What the hell is all of that gibberish.

that means....and read this slowly....They give out the reward during a ceremony where the whole class is there.

CRAZY

No, it means that the students that didn't win an award may get their feelings hurt for being excluded and we just can't have that.

CRAZY

No, it means that the students that didn't win an award may get their feelings hurt for being excluded and we just can't have that.

Did you ever attend high school?

The excuse squad is deployed with all the smokescreen and deceptions they can muster.

1) YES -- it was reinstated AFTER parents screamed bloody hell..
2) Academic excellence awards should NEVER wait for graduation.
3) There is no evidence that ANYONE was "excluded" from attending this spring ritual.
4) It's happening all the time.

School Cancels Honors Night to Avoid Hurt Feelings

A Massachusetts school principal has cancelled his school’s Honors Night in the belief that it would cause students who are not receiving an award to feel self-conscious and disappointed in themselves. According to Principal David Fabrizio of Ipswich Middle School, Honors Night could be “devastating” to the students who worked hard, but did not earn good enough grades to receive an award.

Principal cancels Honors Night in exchange for assembly - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston
An Ipswich principal is in hot water with some parents after he reportedly canceled the middle school's Honors Night.

David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents of his plan to eliminate the school's Honors Night last week.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Ranked 2 (top boy) in a class of 35 in my grade school.
Ranked 4 (again top boy) of 390 in my High School\
3.63 (magna cum laude) in Chemical Engineering (B.S)
3.81 (magna again) in Chemical Engineering (M.S.)

Care to go against those credentials you cretin?
I don't need to since you showed everyone you can't read.

So you are against them cancelling the honors night?
I'm against them not doing it right, as I said.

Did you ever attend high school?

Did you finish elementary school?

What's wrong? Don't want to look back? You don't seem to have any personal experience with how teenagers react when they don't get an academic award.

No, I had one. I was left out of the awards ceremony in 8th grade because I was screwing off too much and not paying attention in class. I took that as motivation and finished high school and college with a 3.4 although I never attended any ceremonies. I didnt even attend college graduation, just had my diploma sent to me.

Middle school cancels annual honors night.

Don't want to hurt any feelings.

I bet those honors students didn't earn it. Or cheated. Or something.

The decay continues.

Cole Middle School Cancels Honors Night - Schools - East Greenwich, RI Patch

Our schools do them in the afternoon, and I kid you not, every kid enrolled in the school has to get recognized for something. All things considered, canceling them is the better route than giving awards to everybody. They also no longer publish the Honor Roll because it could invade the academic privacy of the children who do not make it.

CRAZY

uh no.....those kids still get their honors....The other kids dont

The fix is pretty easy. It's Honors and Most Improved, and you invite all the kids.

And that's how the PC Police think.

How, by changing what was said?

You left off the part when Paint said "but not all of them get rewarded."

Why did you do that? Doesn't that change the whole meaning of what was said? Personally I'd require all the kids to attend and watch those who made honors get the reward for their hard work.

You know that isn't going to happen. The slackers will get an "effort" award, and their fragile little egos will get stroked.

I don't need to since you showed everyone you can't read.

So you are against them cancelling the honors night?
I'm against them not doing it right, as I said.

"right" according your addled view of the world I take it?

There was nothing wrong with having an honors night and only inviting the honoree's. I guarantee that part of the all inclusive awarding of honors is a "atta boy" for all the other kids, and maybe even a certificate.

Thus the parents of the average to below average kids are placated, the average to below average kids have a false sense of accomplishment, and the wussification of our youth continues.

Yet the jocks still get their own little award thing. We reward brawn over brain.

Middle school cancels annual honors night.

Don't want to hurt any feelings.

I bet those honors students didn't earn it. Or cheated. Or something.

The decay continues.

Cole Middle School Cancels Honors Night - Schools - East Greenwich, RI Patch

Our schools do them in the afternoon, and I kid you not, every kid enrolled in the school has to get recognized for something. All things considered, canceling them is the better route than giving awards to everybody. They also no longer publish the Honor Roll because it could invade the academic privacy of the children who do not make it.

Oh, I believe it. I still remember sitting at the dinner table, having one of my kids tell me her teacher didn't say any grades out loud for fear of hurting feelings. And that's just ONE example.

Fortunately in this case some parents were paying attention and spoke up. Otherwise the schools would be doing this kind of thing far more often.

Oh, I believe it. I still remember sitting at the dinner table, having one of my kids tell me her teacher didn't say any grades out loud for fear of hurting feelings. And that's just ONE example.

Fortunately in this case some parents were paying attention and spoke up. Otherwise the schools would be doing this kind of thing far more often.

One of my nephews got suspended 4 times, spent most of the year in ISS, had a whopping 2 D's and the rest F's average and got an award for school spirit. I was like WTF.....

A lot of stupid people chiming in on this thread.
Don't you realize that only the honored students and their parents were going to show up for honors night. By "exclusive" they mean a very small crowd.

They want EVERYONE to see these students honored.

In the rush to turn a middle school event into some political statement feet have been inserted into mouths.

What a bunch of idiots.

A lot of stupid people chiming in on this thread.
Don't you realize that only the honored students and their parents were going to show up for honors night. By "exclusive" they mean a very small crowd.

They want EVERYONE to see these students honored.

In the rush to turn a middle school event into some political statement feet have been inserted into mouths.

What a bunch of idiots.

Strange that their follow up statement restarting the tradition says "we have decided to honor excellence as we had planned." if that be the case.

Forum List

Back