Paul Ryan's Office Calls Cops On Jobless Protesters

From awhile ago:

Paul Ryan's budget proposal and Medicare: The Republican's plan is brave, radical, and smart. - By Jacob Weisberg - Slate Magazine

Good Plan!
Republican Paul Ryan's budget proposal is brave, radical, and smart.
By Jacob WeisbergPosted Tuesday, April 5, 2011, at 6:09 PM ET

For the past 30 years, Republicans have been hypocrites about spending. They've raged against big government without ever proposing the kinds of cuts necessary to bring federal expenditures in line with tax revenues. Democrats have been more fiscally responsible, producing an actual budget surplus during Bill Clinton's second term. But they've been little better than Republicans when it comes to confronting the nation's long-term fiscal imbalance, which is driven by the projected growth in entitlement spending.

This dynamic of political evasion and reality-denial may have undergone a fundamental shift today with the release of Rep. Paul Ryan's 2012 budget resolution. The Wisconsin Republican's genuinely radical plan goes where Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich never did by terminating the entitlement status of Medicare and Medicaid. (It doesn't touch the third major entitlement, Social Security, though Ryan has elsewhere argued for extending its life by gradually raising the retirement age to 70.)
Ryan changes Medicare into a voucher, which would be used to purchase private health insurance. He turns Medicaid into a block grant for states to spend as they choose. Though his budget committee isn't responsible for taxes, Ryan includes the boldest tax reform proposal since the 1980s, proposing to lower top individual and corporate rates to 25 percent and end deductions. While he's at it, Ryan caps domestic spending, repeals Obamacare, slashes farm subsidies, and more.

If the GOP gets behind his proposals in a serious way, it will become for the first time in modern memory an intellectually serious party—one with a coherent vision to match its rhetoric of limited government. Democrats are within their rights to point out the negative effects of Ryan's proposed cuts on future retirees, working families, and the poor. He was not specific about many of his cuts, and Democrats have a political opportunity in filling in the blanks. But the ball is now in their court, and it will be hard to take them seriously if they don't respond with their own alternative path to debt reduction and long-term solvency...

The Ryan Plan is dumb. The Johnson plan is smart. Give it up to the states.

It's also unbelievable that he is charging $15 to attend his one town hall event in his district this summer on September 6. Why would an elected official be charging his constituents to attend such a meeting? Is that even legal?

Some of the posters are calling this a fundraiser, which it isn't.
The place where the protesters gathered, Ryan was not even there.

Then there is this jewel in the 'article':
"Molina said she and other members of Wisconsin Jobs Now, a coalition of community groups, neighborhood associations and labor unions, organized the Kenosha protest, which at one point on Thursday she said attracted more than 100 people."

If anyone wants to talk to their congressman, all they need to do is make a fricken appointment.

Much ado about nothing?

One would think that Ryan would issue "vouchers" to unemployed constituents so they could attend his meeting.

one would think the layabouts would be engaged in looking for employment or a new trailer park in which to set up their mobile meth lab.

Now if you look closely, you'll see the endangered Tea Partier in it's native habitat... Crikey! They are bigoted, hateful lot aren't they?

The fact is that you are trying to play semantics out of shallow, dishonest partisanship. Even obama feels the need to tack on "as we know it" when he pulls this little scare tactic.

Semantics? Under Ryan's proposal, if you're under 55 Medicare doesn't exist for you.

If you insist on just repeating this dishonest partisan doublespeak then go the fuck away, there's no conversation to be had with a broken record.

Oh... that's right, I keep forgetting... we'll get vouchers that only will cover about half of the $14-15k it will cost to insure a 60-70 year old person. The rest will come out of our already fixed income... Thanks... I almost forgot.

Keep it up. Do you think there are some old people reading your BS who will be scared?

It's also unbelievable that he is charging $15 to attend his one town hall event in his district this summer on September 6. Why would an elected official be charging his constituents to attend such a meeting? Is that even legal?

A functional link to the supporting documentation might help.

You mean the link in the OP?

It works for me. Straight to the infamous Huffington Post.

Immie

I'm still trying to figure out why these idiots were there protesting in Paul Ryan's office in the first place. (Besides of course they belong to some whack job liberal group) They think it's Ryan's fault that they lost their jobs? Ryan is one of the few politicians in Washington with any fiscal common sense at all. He's one of the few that are actually trying to change things so people HAVE jobs. So they go down to his office to meet with Ryan when he's away on vacation (Right from the git go you can tell these are bright folk!) and then because so few people show up for their protest, 7 of them decide to go inside his office to provoke a call to the police so they can get some press for their event? And who covers this major news story? The Huffington Post? Can you possibly BE more pathetic than this?

Last edited:
The fact is that you are trying to play semantics out of shallow, dishonest partisanship. Even obama feels the need to tack on "as we know it" when he pulls this little scare tactic.

Semantics? Under Ryan's proposal, if you're under 55 Medicare doesn't exist for you.

If you insist on just repeating this dishonest partisan doublespeak then go the fuck away, there's no conversation to be had with a broken record.

I'm still trying to determine what you're taking issue with, as you haven't disputed anything I've said. I've found that about half the time Ryan's acolytes genuinely don't know what he's actually proposing, and the other half of the time they seem to know but just don't want anyone to say it out loud. If I had to guess, I'd put you in the second camp based only on the fact that you haven't really challenged any of the facts.

Ryan's proposal doesn't allow anyone to enroll in Medicare anymore--ever again--once the proposal is fully implemented. A novel way to save it, indeed.

Oh... that's right, I keep forgetting... we'll get vouchers that only will cover about half of the $14-15k it will cost to insure a 60-70 year old person. The rest will come out of our already fixed income... Thanks... I almost forgot.

Keep it up. Do you think there are some old people reading your BS who will be scared?

He was being generous. Ryan's voucher is only estimated to cover 39% of the costs of the private plans into which it pushes seniors in 2022 (a number that shrinks to 32% only eight years later). His proposal:

Screen%20shot%202011-04-06%20at%2012.32.10%20PM.png

He is charging 15 Bucks FOR ONE FUCKING Day as part of a Republican Party Fund Raiser. Obama Charges 5 Grand a plate just for the chance to talk to him. Of charging 15 Bucks on one Day of the Year is legal. It's called a fucking Fund Raiser. You fucking Idiot. Anyone who does not want to Contribute can talk to him on the other 364 Days in a year.

You guys are raging asshole Hippocrates.
You only see what you want to. You only hear what you "imagine".

Exactly what I have always thought about you. It's a fund Raiser. You are the one that is trying to see it for something else. It's 1 Day out of 364. You guys are trying to make something out of Nothing here.

I'm still trying to determine what you're taking issue with, as you haven't disputed anything I've said. I've found that about half the time Ryan's acolytes genuinely don't know what he's actually proposing, and the other half of the time they seem to know but just don't want anyone to say it out loud. If I had to guess, I'd put you in the second camp based only on the fact that you haven't really challenged any of the facts.

Ryan's proposal doesn't allow anyone to enroll in Medicare anymore--ever again--once the proposal is fully implemented. A novel way to save it, indeed.

He was being generous. Ryan's voucher is only estimated to cover 39% of the costs of the private plans into which it pushes seniors in 2022 (a number that shrinks to 32% only eight years later). His proposal:

Screen%20shot%202011-04-06%20at%2012.32.10%20PM.png

It's all well and good to Pick apart the Ryan Plan. God Knows it has issues, But where the hell is the Obama/Democrat Plan that actually solves the Debt Issues? Where is the counter proposal? Rob 500 Billion from MC and give them IOU's to help fund Obamacare?

I am getting rather sick of hearing Obama and the Dems, and people in hear. Defend Obama by attacking Ryan and the Republicans. WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR PLAN!

I am getting rather sick of hearing Obama and the Dems, and people in hear. Defend Obama by attacking Ryan and the Republicans. WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR PLAN!

Pointing out the realities of the Ryan/Republican proposal isn't a way of defending Obama, it's exactly what is sounds like: exposing the deficiencies in a plan being pushed by one of the major political parties. I realize quite a few folks would like to gloss over this, but it actually is sort of a big deal that all but 9 Republicans currently holding federal office have signaled support for a plan to end Medicare.

As for the Democratic plan, the first part was passed in February 2009 and the second part was passed in March 2010. That is to say, a substantial package of Medicare reforms has not just been offered, it's been passed and is being implemented.

Pointing out the realities of the Ryan/Republican proposal isn't a way of defending Obama, it's exactly what is sounds like: exposing the deficiencies in a plan being pushed by one of the major political parties. I realize quite a few folks would like to gloss over this, but it actually is sort of a big deal that all but 9 Republicans currently holding federal office have signaled support for a plan to end Medicare.

As for the Democratic plan, the first part was passed in February 2009 and the second part was passed in March 2010. That is to say, a substantial package of Medicare reforms has not just been offered, it's been passed and is being implemented.

Dude, you are seriously delusional if you think that the Democrats have passed substantial Medicare reforms. Are you talking about the 100 billion that they cut from Medicare under Obama Care? Because I've got big money to bet you that those "future" cuts never take place. The liberals threw that in to make the costs for Obama Care work. They have no intention of actually cutting Medicare.

Last edited:
Dude, you are seriously delusional if you think that the Democrats have passed substantial Medicare reforms. Are you talking about the 100 billion that they cut from Medicare under Obama Care?

I'm talking about the EHR incentives (and the Regional Extension Centers that have been helping providers to adopt the technology), shared savings, paying for value instead of just procedures, reducing preventable hospital readmissions, the Multi-Payer Advanced Primary Care Initiative, greater transparency through the various Compare tools, bundled payments, quality reporting, reducing hospital-acquired conditions, the creation of the IPAB, improving patient safety, a host of new tools for fighting fraud, and so on. These are about changing the way Medicare does business to get more value out of the health care system and thus stretch health care dollars further.

Presumably what you're talking about are the strictly financial reforms that have passed: the changes to Part B and Part D premiums, the resetting of Medicare Advantage benchmarks, and the productivity adjustments to market basket payment updates (which don't magically appear, they're achieved through the reforms listed above). Those are significant, as well, though they're less about fundamental reforms to the program's operation than the reforms I mentioned above.

This is what actual Medicare reform looks like: changing the way Medicare does business to start bending the cost curve, not ending the program and walking back our commitment to seniors.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back