Paul Ryan's Office Calls Cops On Jobless Protesters

It's also unbelievable that he is charging $15 to attend his one town hall event in his district this summer on September 6. Why would an elected official be charging his constituents to attend such a meeting? Is that even legal?

of course it's legal.

they call them *fundraisers*, unless you're trying to score some kind of points, then you call them *town hall style* meetings, and bang on the offending pol for having the effrontery to charge admission.

like this....

barney frank had a *town hall style* meeting with wall street brokers, and charged a minimum $1000/head up to over $5000.

Mr. Frank Goes to Wall Street - NYTimes.com

oh, the humanity! :rofl:

Barney Frank had a fundraiser.

15 buck is NOT a fundraiser. Especially not for someone of Ryan's stature. It's laughable to even suggest it. And if there were any food, plus paying for the hall, would that leave him with more than 50 cents a person?

Oh Wow, I had such a great fundraiser. Bet I got a hundred bucks. Or close.

let's see, it takes in money (funds) and keeps them.
yup, that's a fundraiser.
not as grandiose as barney's, but a fundraiser nonetheless. you can insist it's not, but that would be stupid.

i guess you'll continue to insist, huh?

you do know that you can contact your rep for free, right?

Apparently some are confused between Paul Ryan and Barney Frank. I didn't know Barney Frank is trying to kill Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid - nor did I know he thought of the unemployed as one homogeneous group of lazy bums looking for handouts. I learn so much on this board...

Do you have a clue what Barney Frank may think? or for that matter Paul Ryan. and does it matter?

It's also unbelievable that he is charging $15 to attend his one town hall event in his district this summer on September 6. Why would an elected official be charging his constituents to attend such a meeting? Is that even legal?

Obama just charged a bunch of liberal idiots 45 grand apiece to come say Happy Birthday to him. And you're bitching about 15 bucks?

What an idiot!:cuckoo:

I think we can file this thread as the idiotic thread of the day.

Last edited:
In 2009, Ryan had lots of town halls. But that was before his plan to end medicare came out. Watch the town halls where he is heckled. Looks like no one in the room, except Ryan, is under 60. Hardly wild Democrats with an "agenda".

medicare-toughlove-cartoon.JPG

full-auto-albums-obama-care-picture3820-holb110810-cmyk20110809084216.jpg

Ryan knows what would happen if he had a truly OPEN town hall meeting. Sure, his constituents can call his office, but Ryan doesn't want to be confronted by a "group" in an open meeting.

Ryan knows what would happen if he had a truly OPEN town hall meeting. Sure, his constituents can call his office, but Ryan doesn't want to be confronted by a "group" in an open meeting.
And you know this, how?

I guess that's why he's planning more that won't be fundraisers.........Seriously, you're making yourself look like an ass up here.

Actually, I don't know how anyone knows anything about Ryan except perhaps his spin machine. He hasn't impressed me. But then, spin turns me off.

The Emergence of the $15 Town Hall Meeting

By: David Dayen

I’ve been writing about the invisible town hall revolution, where dozens of conservative members of Congress have been bombarded by ordinary citizens delivering progressive messages. This actually started after the passage of the Paul Ryan budget in the spring, and some members have figured out methods to deal with it. Some do only tele-town halls. Some throw out “disruptive” constituents asking the wrong questions. Some screen the questions. Some hold no town halls altogether. Some stack town halls with loyal constituents. And now, Paul Ryan and friends have hit on a new approach – charge money for the town hall meeting.

MORE (worth reading): The Emergence of the $15 Town Hall Meeting | FDL News Desk

The Emergence of the $15 Town Hall Meeting

By: David Dayen

I’ve been writing about the invisible town hall revolution, where dozens of conservative members of Congress have been bombarded by ordinary citizens delivering progressive messages. This actually started after the passage of the Paul Ryan budget in the spring, and some members have figured out methods to deal with it. Some do only tele-town halls. Some throw out “disruptive” constituents asking the wrong questions. Some screen the questions. Some hold no town halls altogether. Some stack town halls with loyal constituents. And now, Paul Ryan and friends have hit on a new approach – charge money for the town hall meeting.

MORE (worth reading): The Emergence of the $15 Town Hall Meeting | FDL News Desk

I am sure if you beat that dead horse a bit harder it will move.

And you know this, how?

I guess that's why he's planning more that won't be fundraisers.........Seriously, you're making yourself look like an ass up here.

Really...?

The House Budget Committee chairman isn’t holding any face-to-face open-to-the-public town hall meetings during the recess, but like several of his colleagues he will speak only for residents willing to open their wallets [...]

The Emergence of the $15 Town Hall Meeting | FDL News Desk

Apparently some are confused between Paul Ryan and Barney Frank. I didn't know Barney Frank is trying to kill Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid - nor did I know he thought of the unemployed as one homogeneous group of lazy bums looking for handouts. I learn so much on this board...

I notice you ignored my questions. Is that because the answers are embarrassing after you claimed you make no generalizations?

So No democrat has ever Called the Cops on Protesters that got out of hand? Why does it matter if there Jobless or not

"But mommmmmmmmmmm! They did it too!"

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with either side doing it. We have laws in this country. People seem to think we have the right to do any thing if were protesting. We do not. We can not violate laws to do it. If we do, we can expect to have the Cops called on us. Go Into a building and start Talking on a bullhorn when you don't get to talk to someone, and the cops will be called. Anywhere, Whether it be a congress person or a private office.

Last edited:
I notice you ignored my questions. Is that because the answers are embarrassing after you claimed you make no generalizations?

Yes, I ignored your questions. They were irrelevant to the thread OP. Maybe you could ask your pets to jump through some hoops...

Forum List

Back