Paul Ryan setting up a presidential run?

regardless of who runs, it will not be easy to topple Ted Cruz.
Either man would make a great President. Both are far better contenders than Romney was. I don't want to see another closet liberal running for the GOP. A significant number of Conservative voters did not bother to vote in 2012 because the GOP candidate was a liberal.

There is ample time between now and 2016. With the right strategy, either man, Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz can become the 2016 GOP candidate.

Cruz would lose the election, for sure, with less than 44% of the vote if that.

Ryan might draw as much as Romney.

Christie can win.

there are several great ticket combinations out there,any of them would generate mass excitement in GOP and conservative bases. i still don't have a favorite ticket in mind. but i would agree that christie should be in there being he will help with the north east.

One way or another, it's time for some new blood in the Republican Party, and new thinking.

But how to shove the Old Farts out of the way so they can't obstruct the New Blood?

if they're still beholden to the same campaign donors/corporate interests, what diff does it make?

Either man would make a great President. Both are far better contenders than Romney was. I don't want to see another closet liberal running for the GOP. A significant number of Conservative voters did not bother to vote in 2012 because the GOP candidate was a liberal.

There is ample time between now and 2016. With the right strategy, either man, Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz can become the 2016 GOP candidate.

Christie can win.

There's the Jake I know. Pulling random numbers and predictions out of thin air.

Christie can win.

Christie can win swing states......the others can't

Christie can win.

There's the Jake I know. Pulling random numbers and predictions out of thin air.

Under which scenario can either Paul or Cruz get to 270?

Christie can win.
Christie is much like Romney, he can draw in the moderates, but will have a hard time with conservative voters. Ryan can bring in both the moderates and no question the conservatives. Cruz may have a hard time with the moderates, but he has the edge with the Tea Party'ers.

heres and idea, why not a three man ticket,,,,Christie/Cruz/Ryan! (Cruz and Ryan can both be vice presidents,rotate weekends and mondays). this way we get the "Regular White Vote", "The Overweight Vote" and the Latino Vote! Problem solved!

Christie can win.

Under which scenario can either Paul or Cruz get to 270?

Cruz brings back far too many memories of McCarthy to win 270, and Ryan's association with the ideas of Ayn Rand will sink his hopes.

How Viable Is Rand Paul for 2016?
By NATE SILVER

Perhaps no Republican has had a better 2013 than Rand Paul, the Kentucky senator who drew attention and praise for his talking filibuster against the C.I.A. director nominee John Brennan, then last week won the straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. Then, on Tuesday, as my colleague Ashley Parker reports, Mr. Paul gave a speech to the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, outlining his plan for immigration reform.

Mr. Paul has been fairly explicit about his potential interest in running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, so it is safe to assume that at least some of his actions are colored by his interest in positioning himself for the primaries and caucuses. But oddsmakers continue to list Mr. Paul as something of a long shot, giving him anywhere from 12-to-1 to 28-to-1 odds against winning the nomination.

Is Mr. Paul, in fact, a viable 2016 contender? Or, like his father, Ron Paul, is he someone who might expect to win the enthusiastic support of libertarian-leaning G.O.P. voters but who might otherwise fall well short of winning a plurality or majority of the Republican electorate?

It might help to step back and consider the Republican primary electorate as a whole. The historical norm has been that Republicans are more unified in picking a candidate, while Democratic nominees must struggle to cobble together a winning plurality from among the party’s diverse constituencies. However, it is less clear that this is true today. Republicans might not have as much diversity along racial or demographic lines as Democrats do, but there are several ideological constituencies within the party that could make it hard for any candidate to win the nomination by consensus.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/how-viable-is-rand-paul-for-2016/?_r=0

Christie can win.

There is the Gramps I know: not letting the numbers stand in his way.

I won't support Ryan or Cruz in the primaries because they can't win a national election.

If Ryan were our candidate, though, I would support him.

We don't have to worry about Cruz: he can't make it into January 2016, so no worry there.

Christie can win the swing states needed to get him to 270.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back