Patton's take on WWII

In understanding the political realities of war, Patton was almost as bad as MacArthur

Obviously, you don't know Dick about George. All you know about Patton is from the movie
Patton was a tactical genius

Beyond that, he was a moron. He didn't understand politics, logistics, people or finance
Well got it, you're an ignorant fuck, you don't have to keep proving it over and over Jake
I am not RW as you well know, Frank.

Patton was a great general, but very very ignorant about geo-political issues.

Jake, we know you're to the Left of your Hero, Stalin.

Patton correctly predicted that Ike was going to run for President. Just because Patton has a disdain for politicians does not make him ignorant of geo-political issues, which we all know is Progressive code word for high-fiving FDR's sucking up to Uncle Joe
Who didn't predict Ike would run for President?

Patton was a brilliant commander.
And he was dead on about Russia as history shows us.
Patton correctly saw Stalin as worse even than Hitler, and correctly predicted that they would dominate the entire theatre with great human suffering.

At the same time however, what we would have done with Russia if we would have conquered them is a whole other story.

The Russians had just finished killing 4 million Germans.

How many Americans would we have been willing to sacrifice?

The Russian Army at the end of the European war was just about completely evaporated.
They couldn't have defeated an Ivory Coast invasion at that point.

As a clarification, I am not saying I agree with Patton...as I said above, if we would have invaded/conquered Russia - what the hell would we have done with them?

No "we" could not. Russians are tough people and by that point they were harden fighters........

By that point, they didn't have enough warm bodies to withstand a major invasion force, especially if that force happened to be the source of the supplies that had allowed them to survive their recent decimating debacle.
Holy thread resurrections Batman !!

Why don't you start a new thread instead ?!

This one is old, tired, dead, and erroneous.

Talk about something current, such as ...

- Should have Petraeus have gone all-in on Paula Broadbutt?

- Would Petraeus have made a better GOP candidate than Trump?

- With BHO pulling out US troops from A-stan and Iraq as promised, is the USA better off or worse off?

- Will Hillary's first term as POTUS simply resemble a 3rd BHO term or will she do anything differently?

Patton loved war and Patton.
True, but unlike FDR, he wanted to end the war as quickly as possible. Do you prefer long wars or short wars?
There is more to wars than long or short there are casualties, many for the wrong purpose. Would you rather have a long war with few casualties or a short war with many casualties? To have a war with many casualties to satisfy a general's love of warfare is perhaps the most obscene. IKE and Bradley used Patton perhaps as best Patton could be used.

In understanding the political realities of war, Patton was almost as bad as MacArthur

Obviously, you don't know Dick about George. All you know about Patton is from the movie

Beyond that, he was a moron. He didn't understand politics, logistics, people or finance
Well got it, you're an ignorant fuck, you don't have to keep proving it over and over Jake

Patton correctly predicted that Ike was going to run for President. Just because Patton has a disdain for politicians does not make him ignorant of geo-political issues, which we all know is Progressive code word for high-fiving FDR's sucking up to Uncle Joe
Frank is repressive in nature as Stalin; there would be no difference in how either would rule. Frank simply hates civil liberties.

Patton saying DDE would be president means nothing, Frank, because we are talking about Patton being stupid enough to give the Russians the chance to kick his ass.

If Stalin had been in charge, the Allies would have invaded France in 1942 and had their heads handed to them by the Germans.

Frank does not know history at all.

Pacific War dwarfed the Europe War in logistical terms.

US won 2 wars on broad fronts -while the Soviets prevailed on one front with a lot of help..............................

The US won the Pacific
The Soviets beat the Nazis

The Soviets beat the Nazi's becaue the US gave them more supplies than they could provide for themselves when it was the most critical. Had it not been for the support of the US and the UK during the initial onslaught of Barbarossa and into the beginning of Operation Typhoon the Germans would have won.

After the front was stabilized the continuing support of the western allies made it possible for the Soviets to grind the Germans down while they rebuilt their industrial capacity in the Urals far from German attack, once again making it possible for the Soviets to prevail during that critical time.

And don't ever forget the thousands of American Merchant Seamen who died getting those supplies to the Soviets. Those men KNEW they had a better chance of not coming home than a Marine fighting in the Pacific did and still they went.

The US produced more of everything then the entire rest of the world did and got it to those who needed it most.
America spent 55 billion on lend lease with
31 billion going to Britain
11.3 going to the USSR
3.2 going to France
11,6 to China
2.6 to other nations.

Frank is repressive in nature as Stalin; there would be no difference in how either would rule. Frank simply hates civil liberties.

Patton saying DDE would be president means nothing, Frank, because we are talking about Patton being stupid enough to give the Russians the chance to kick his ass.

Jake swoons at the mere mention of his idol, Uncle Joe

19-patton-zhukov-berlin.jpg

"Pat Merle-Smith has told me of what took place during a second Berlin visit in the first week of September 1945. “The Russians were putting on a military review for all four occupying powers. [General Patton] was seated next to Marshal Zhukov and I, naturally, was with the standees a few rows below. I heard quite clearly what was said when some huge Soviet tanks passed by. ‘My dear General Patton, you see that tank, it carries a cannon which can throw a shell seven miles.’ Patton answered, ‘Indeed?’ Well, my dear Marshal Zhukov, let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I’d have them court-martialed for cowardice.’ It was the first time I saw a Russian commander stunned into silence.”

General Patton stuns Marshall Zhukov into silence - Nobility and Analogous Traditional Elites

True, but unlike FDR, he wanted to end the war as quickly as possible. Do you prefer long wars or short wars?
There is more to wars than long or short there are casualties, many for the wrong purpose. Would you rather have a long war with few casualties or a short war with many casualties? To have a war with many casualties to satisfy a general's love of warfare is perhaps the most obscene. IKE and Bradley used Patton perhaps as best Patton could be used.
True....but as relates to WWII and Patton, had his plan worked and the German Army in France eliminated in mid-1944, much of Europe might have been liberated rather than enslaved to the USSR, the Nazi prison camps liberated a year early, the persistent Allied bombings stopped a year early. All this would indicate thousands of lives saved and the suffering stopped.

"Pat Merle-Smith has told me of what took place during a second Berlin visit in the first week of September 1945. “The Russians were putting on a military review for all four occupying powers. [General Patton] was seated next to Marshal Zhukov and I, naturally, was with the standees a few rows below. I heard quite clearly what was said when some huge Soviet tanks passed by. ‘My dear General Patton, you see that tank, it carries a cannon which can throw a shell seven miles.’ Patton answered, ‘Indeed?’ Well, my dear Marshal Zhukov, let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I’d have them court-martialed for cowardice.’ It was the first time I saw a Russian commander stunned into silence.”

General Patton stuns Marshall Zhukov into silence - Nobility and Analogous Traditional Elites

Another anecdote that never happened. Those tanks could not fire a shell 3 miles much less 7 miles. The site is nobiity.org. Anyone who wants a hoot, go to it. Frank wishes to create an America as rigid and government dominated as Stalin's. He just wants a right wing totalitarian dictatorship.

Another anecdote that never happened. Those tanks could not fire a shell 3 miles much less 7 miles. The site is nobiity.org. Anyone who wants a hoot, go to it. Frank wishes to create an America as rigid and government dominated as Stalin's. He just wants a right wing totalitarian dictatorship.

Any story that ends......It was the first time I saw a Russian commander stunned into silence

Is probably made up

Jake is projecting bigger than a Soviet towed artillery piece

Rightwinger and Jake (as if they're two different people) have the honor of being the only 2 people to lose every single game of Rock, Paper & Scissors to a box of rocks

True....but as relates to WWII and Patton, had his plan worked and the German Army in France eliminated in mid-1944, much of Europe might have been liberated rather than enslaved to the USSR, the Nazi prison camps liberated a year early, the persistent Allied bombings stopped a year early. All this would indicate thousands of lives saved and the suffering stopped.

FDR and Ike stopped Patton from: a) entering Berlin before Stalin and b) sent him on a wild goose chase to locate the non-existent German National Redoubt rather than liberate Prague and Vienna.

""Jake is projecting bigger than a Soviet towed artillery piece"

CrusaderFrank, using phony material, is as crazed a totalitarian as his hero Stalin. He just has no power.

The stupid comment above about FDR, DDE, and Patton is simply stupid.

CrusaderFrank, using phony material, is as crazed a totalitarian as his hero Stalin. He just has no power.

Well, to someone who knows nothing at all about WWII, it would seem "stupid"

Well, to someone who knows nothing at all about WWII, it would seem "stupid"
Yes, you have described yourself: you know nothing except a partisan ideology that is not rooted in the actual events.

Does Jake not know that US Forces were held up from entering Berlin ahead of our Soviet "Allies"?

Does Jake not know about the wild goose chase to locate the non-existent "National Redoubt"?

I guess not

I know that talks with FDR, Churchill, Stalin, and the military heads were held, and that since the Russians had suffered far worse casualties by several times of that of the British, Americans, and French, the Russians were allowed to fight the Battle of Berlin. They took half a million casualties, which Frank wishes the Americans suffered.

The National Redoubt was a true concern at the time.

Frank is very illiterate about these matters.

Poor George Patton has been a dupe of the liberal media since he slapped that malingerer during WW2. The movie "Patton" was played practically for laughs by quirky actor George C. Scott and all Patton's excentricities were out there for all to see. Hollywood could have played MacArthur for laughs but they didn't. Instead they offered a serious actor like Gregory Peck to play it straight and stick to the script. No mention of the "dougout doug" sneers from the Troops or the fact that he lost an entire army within four months of WW2 hostilities. In all fairness MacArthur was well past his prime in WW2 and when he lost another army in Korea and ranted to the media about nuking Red China before he was finally relieved of duty by Truman. Still Hollywood relies on cliches rather than history.

Forum List

Back