Pastor Jones to protest Dearborn Arab-American Festival

God forbid the Reverend CAN'T go and is deprived his freedom of speech. Who will be "shut up'd" next?

Who said he can't?

Let him go but treat him like Phelps :D

I'd be happy if he was treated as well as Phelps.

So far nobody has infringed on Phelp's 1st Amendment rights like they have Jone's.

Doesn't look like they have...he's free to go....they just aren't going to use taxpayer money to provide him protection if he stirs things up.

Who said he can't?

Let him go but treat him like Phelps :D

So far nobody has infringed on Phelp's 1st Amendment rights like they have Jone's.

Doesn't look like they have...he's free to go....they just aren't going to use taxpayer money to provide him protection if he stirs things up.

I guess you missed everything that went down last month with Jones and the Michigan justice system.

No worries, I'll give you a chance to bone up before I pass judgement.

I wonder how Terry Jones would feel if an Imam showed up at whatever passes for Jones' church on Easter Sunday to read passages from the Bible which espouse violence?

This Jones moron is every bit as Godly as Fred Phelps. Something tells me that Jones' followers are not Christians.

I heard somewhere his congregation has largely deserted him leaving only his family....
God certainly does work in mysterious ways!

I guess you missed everything that went down last month with Jones and the Michigan justice system.

I was going by the OP. He's not worth the effort to look further.

He may not be worth it, but if you value your own 1st Amendment right to free speech it's worth a look.

Metro and State | ACLU files brief supporting Terry Jones | The Detroit News

Mani, there is never any doubt that I, or any other freedom loving American, support Jones' right to free speech. And there wasn't an implied state restriction in my post.

It's the wisdom of Jones' speech that's, at once, laughable and sinister. The less attention paid the Right Reverend Terry Jones the better. And that's a proven fact.

I don't want his rights taken away because he's a lunatic. I want the glare of publicity taken off him. And that action isn't taken by the state, it's taken by folks like us on the wide wide world of web.

Mani, there is never any doubt that I, or any other freedom loving American, support Jones' right to free speech. And there wasn't an implied state restriction in my post.

It's the wisdom of Jones' speech that's, at once, laughable and sinister. The less attention paid the Right Reverend Terry Jones the better. And that's a proven fact.

I don't want his rights taken away because he's a lunatic. I want the glare of publicity taken off him. And that action isn't taken by the state, it's taken by folks like us on the wide wide world of web.

But when the state infringes on his free speech as they have, it behooves freedom loving Americans to shine the glare of publicity squarely on it.

I'm not convinced either way that he is being oppressed.

What is clear is that he's a dbag.

I guess it depends on how you define 'oppressed'.

Clearly his constitutional right to free speech was infringed. That's a fact.

I'm not convinced either way that he is being oppressed.

What is clear is that he's a dbag.

I guess it depends on how you define 'oppressed'.

Clearly his constitutional right to free speech was infringed. That's a fact.
Is it? I have no idea who is forced to post a peace bond. Most of the time I think the ACLU is correct but they aren't always.

I know I couldn't hold a KKK rally in my neighborhood without posting a peace bond (not that I'd want to, in case you are wondering). Does that mean I am oppressed?

:confused:

Damn, that reminds me. I still haven't figured out how many times I can fold a Mani. It's on my to-do list, well, at the bottom but it's on my list.

I think we have another Phelps on our hands.

Not even close , he has Islamic scripture to back up his concerns.
He's using Islamic scripture the same way the Taliban uses Islamic scripture. So, you must believe the Taliban. Come to think of it, Christians used the Bible to back up their concerns about maintaining humans as slaves.

Whenever idiots use scripture (which can be interpreted in many ways to suit a myriad of beliefs) do they then assume the veneer of legitimacy in your eyes?

Jones isn't fooling any responsible Christian, neither is the Taliban fooling any responsible Muslim. The only ones being fooled are the fools.

He's using Islamic scripture the same way the Taliban uses Islamic scripture. So, you must believe the Taliban. Come to think of it, Christians used the Bible to back up their concerns about maintaining humans as slaves.

Whenever idiots use scripture (which can be interpreted in many ways to suit a myriad of beliefs) do they then assume the veneer of legitimacy in your eyes?

Jones isn't fooling any responsible Christian, neither is the Taliban fooling any responsible Muslim. The only ones being fooled are the fools.

I disagree your implied argument that irresponsible Christians (a la Jones, Phelps et al) pose the same threat to peace and freedom as do irresponsible Muslims (a la Taliban, Al Qaida et al). That's not to say the threat of irresponsible Muslims isn't at times overstated to the point of fear-mongering, but it's pure insanity to suggest the threats they each pose ought to be prioritized equally.

I disagree your implied argument that irresponsible Christians (a la Jones, Phelps et al) pose the same threat to peace and freedom as do irresponsible Muslims (a la Taliban, Al Qaida et al). That's not to say the threat of irresponsible Muslims isn't at times overstated to the point of fear-mongering, but it's pure insanity to suggest the threats they each pose ought to be prioritized equally.
We've seen how the actions of Jones and Phelps have disturbed peace and freedom. Attacks and riot in Afghanistan after Jones burned the Koran. Counter protests on funeral routes and lawsuits resulting from Phelps gang. We could extrapolate other violence done in the name of Christian beliefs, but that would only serve to go over the same tired ground again.

You inferred that I said they pose an equal threat. I'm saying that their actions and interpretations of scripture are just as irresponsible as the Taliban's.

You inferred that I said they pose an equal threat.

Yes I did. And I also believe that was your intent.

However, it certainly wouldn't upset me to learn that I am mistaken, and you do in fact agree that in the modern world, irresponsible interpretation of scriptures by radical Muslims poses a greater threat than irresponsible interpretation of scriptures by radical Christians.

And likewise, it also wouldn't upset me to see you tap dance around this acknowledgement and prove that I am not mistaken.

He's using Islamic scripture the same way the Taliban uses Islamic scripture.

Ill trust the opinion of an Islamic scholar over yours on issues of Islam,
Your ignorance of other topics are for another thread.

Ask-Imam.com [5115] Plz tell me about Osama bin ladin and Taliban

Taliban was a valid Shar'ee government. The methods adopted by the Taliban
were in accordance to the Shari'ah. In the Shari'ah. The Imaam (Islamic
ruler) has the right and duty to enforce the external laws of the Shari'ah.
This had been the practice of the four rightly guided Khulafaa Raashideen.

Last edited:

He may not be worth it, but if you value your own 1st Amendment right to free speech it's worth a look.

Metro and State | ACLU files brief supporting Terry Jones | The Detroit News

Im fairly sure these women would not be consider muslim under Islam'

http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/AlexandraParis60203.htm

Forum List

Back