Participation in school sports is a civil right

and where does parental responsibility come in to that equation of getting kids off of their asses?

How about a gym full of an aerobic class..... that will get everyone psychically fit and everyone can participate.

sports are not necessary.

A bit of background. I am terrible at sports. Never was on a travel team, I was bullied by members of sports teams.

That being said, ametuer sports at all levels are an outlet for the less academically gifted among us to make a living, or at least get a baseline education. Just because I can't play them doesnt mean I begrudge those who get a benefit from them.

Sports however, is a strict meritocracy, where performace should rule team membership and wins. Sports also provide organization skills, cooperational skills, and instill the reality of the world, where you have to do something to "win" not just have it handed to you.

i was great at everything... and declined being on the teams and doing preferences....to the chagrin of many

That being said....sport programs are not part of an education. They are an elective.

I heartily disagree. a P.E. education where one only does aerobics or running is basically the same as a prison excercise yard with Richard Simmons.

Schools have to accept the disabled on their teams.

Sports are a civil right for disabled, US says - Yahoo! News

Federal laws, including the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, require states to provide a free public education to all students and bans schools that receive federal funds from discriminating against students with disabilities. Going further, the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right.

Title XI destroyed many school sports programs. This might just finish them off.

it destroyed school sports because women's sports were given equal footing?

are you retarded.

never mind...

You are just sadly ignorant. Quite ignorant.

Title IX's Dark Legacy - US News and World Report

Yet there's another side to the story. It's one that could be told by male gymnasts, swimmers, and track stars: And that's how men's sports teams have been sacrificed in order to achieve "proportionality" as demanded by those enforcing Title IX. Mothers concerned about their sons' diminishing prospects might rightly bow out of Title IX's anniversary celebrations, and ask why the focus continues to be solely on bolstering female participation on college campuses, even as young men fall further behind.

To better understand the problems caused by Title IX enforcement, one should talk to Andrew Valmon, the Olympic gold medal winner who will coach the men's U.S. track and field team in London. When he returns in the fall, he is likely to be without a team to call his own. That is because the University of Maryland's prestigious track and field program is not expected to resume for the 2012-2013 school year.

Doug Robinson: Title IX ax continues to destroy programs | Deseret News

Studies reveal — and you probably could have guessed this — that men are more interested in sports than women, in the same way that more girls are interested in the drill team than boys. Some colleges struggle to find enough female athletes to fill their rosters. Yet, as a wrestling coach once explained it, if you have 100 girls who want to play sports and 1,000 boys who want to play sports, 100 girls and 100 boys will be given the opportunity.

The proportionality is so strict that many football players can't walk on to a team because it will tilt the balance of numbers, even if they are willing to play without a scholarship.

Letter: Title IX ? U N I V E R S E

Title IX has done more to destroy men’s athletics than any other legislation to date. As of 2002, more than 100 men’s gymnastics teams and 170 wrestling teams have been dropped. I know those are dated figures; I’m sure that amount has climbed in 10 years. My alma mater, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, dropped its wrestling program in 2011 — the same night it won its third straight DII National Title. The same program had won six national titles in eight years.

As a wrestler in high school, I had fairly limited prospects for trying to wrestle at the college level, so I didn’t get to continue at that level. With so few programs, it means there are many high level athletes that do not have the opportunities to continue because there is so much competition. At the rate wrestling programs are being dropped, I do not expect many to be left by the time my three boys head to college in 15 years.

It's not my fault you are a dumb shit.

A bit of background. I am terrible at sports. Never was on a travel team, I was bullied by members of sports teams.

That being said, ametuer sports at all levels are an outlet for the less academically gifted among us to make a living, or at least get a baseline education. Just because I can't play them doesnt mean I begrudge those who get a benefit from them.

Sports however, is a strict meritocracy, where performace should rule team membership and wins. Sports also provide organization skills, cooperational skills, and instill the reality of the world, where you have to do something to "win" not just have it handed to you.

i was great at everything... and declined being on the teams and doing preferences....to the chagrin of many

That being said....sport programs are not part of an education. They are an elective.

I heartily disagree. a P.E. education where one only does aerobics or running is basically the same as a prison excercise yard with Richard Simmons.

and?

you commented on the sedentary lives of the youngsters..... an aerobic class for ALL would fix that right up.

again.... sports programs are an elective and unnecessary. If schools lose funding because they cant put that wheel chair bound kid in as running back... it fine with me. I have no issue with school sports programs coming to an end.

Federal laws, including the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, require states to provide a free public education to all students and bans schools that receive federal funds from discriminating against students with disabilities. Going further, the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right.

Title XI destroyed many school sports programs. This might just finish them off.

are you retarded.

never mind...

You are just sadly ignorant. Quite ignorant.

Title IX's Dark Legacy - US News and World Report

Yet there's another side to the story. It's one that could be told by male gymnasts, swimmers, and track stars: And that's how men's sports teams have been sacrificed in order to achieve "proportionality" as demanded by those enforcing Title IX. Mothers concerned about their sons' diminishing prospects might rightly bow out of Title IX's anniversary celebrations, and ask why the focus continues to be solely on bolstering female participation on college campuses, even as young men fall further behind.

To better understand the problems caused by Title IX enforcement, one should talk to Andrew Valmon, the Olympic gold medal winner who will coach the men's U.S. track and field team in London. When he returns in the fall, he is likely to be without a team to call his own. That is because the University of Maryland's prestigious track and field program is not expected to resume for the 2012-2013 school year.

Doug Robinson: Title IX ax continues to destroy programs | Deseret News

Studies reveal — and you probably could have guessed this — that men are more interested in sports than women, in the same way that more girls are interested in the drill team than boys. Some colleges struggle to find enough female athletes to fill their rosters. Yet, as a wrestling coach once explained it, if you have 100 girls who want to play sports and 1,000 boys who want to play sports, 100 girls and 100 boys will be given the opportunity.

The proportionality is so strict that many football players can't walk on to a team because it will tilt the balance of numbers, even if they are willing to play without a scholarship.

Letter: Title IX ? U N I V E R S E

Title IX has done more to destroy men’s athletics than any other legislation to date. As of 2002, more than 100 men’s gymnastics teams and 170 wrestling teams have been dropped. I know those are dated figures; I’m sure that amount has climbed in 10 years. My alma mater, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, dropped its wrestling program in 2011 — the same night it won its third straight DII National Title. The same program had won six national titles in eight years.

As a wrestler in high school, I had fairly limited prospects for trying to wrestle at the college level, so I didn’t get to continue at that level. With so few programs, it means there are many high level athletes that do not have the opportunities to continue because there is so much competition. At the rate wrestling programs are being dropped, I do not expect many to be left by the time my three boys head to college in 15 years.

It's not my fault you are a dumb shit.

again... tough.

There are fewer disabled than there are even women, and of those disabled, how many want to participte in sports? This should effectively end all school sports.

Maybe with the end of school sports, we won't have to be subjected to anything more like this.

Covenant School coach fired after not apologizing for 100-0 win - ESPNHS

DALLAS -- The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the past four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

Obviously the winning team took unfair advantage of the losing team's player disabilities.

This is straight from the theater of the absurd. It is also what you can expect with obama's newest bright idea.

I don't see education as a right. Mandatory school attendance is the root of most of the problems in our public schools. If a student deosn't know how to act, kick her to the curb. The public school systems are becoming warehouses for children and make work havens for the morons universities are graduating with education degrees.

Public education should be available via libraries and the internet. It's not like education will cease if the public schools are abandoned.

and?

you commented on the sedentary lives of the youngsters..... an aerobic class for ALL would fix that right up.

again.... sports programs are an elective and unnecessary. If schools lose funding because they cant put that wheel chair bound kid in as running back... it fine with me. I have no issue with school sports programs coming to an end.

Sports scholarships too. End that and make it on scholastic achievement period.

and?

Sports scholarships too. End that and make it on scholastic achievement period.

im all for ending sports scholarships....

Lemme get this straight....

You won't allow parents to abort mentally retarded and down syndrome babies, but you'll be damned if some retarded kids gets to suit up and stand on the sidelines with the football team.

are you retarded.

never mind...

No, she hates the retarded, unless they're in the womb.

Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Simple solution: end all HS sports the moment someone incapable of playing sues. Announce the fact, the reason, and plaster the dude's name, address, and photo on every wall in the school.

are you retarded.

never mind...

it gutted smaller male sports like wrestling and volleyball as schools with football programs.

Just because a law has benefits, does not mean that the downside can be ignored. I had several friends in college lose thier scholarships on the wrestling team due to Title IX, as the team got culled. And we were a small school with just a basketball program. (Div 1).

People can rationalize the victims of title IX, but they shouldn't be ignored.

A local college completely DROPPED their baseball program because of Title 9. Denying that it harmed school sports is flat-out stupid.

Lemme get this straight....

You won't allow parents to abort mentally retarded and down syndrome babies, but you'll be damned if some retarded kids gets to suit up and stand on the sidelines with the football team.

most of the MR kids have fulfilling lives albeit they are not fully self sufficient.

You are the typical tolerant and kind lib. :clap2:

Sports is not an elective, it's a school sponsored activity

What I see is " special" sports for the disabled. Some sports for the non-disabled will need to be dropped for budgetary reasons.

up date:

what I'm hearing is for example a deaf track athlete can't hear a starting gun.

then there is also a light

Last edited:
So what happens if you are in teams for a relay race or something and one team gets stuck with a kid who can't even walk properly? No one will want that kid in their team because their team will lose.

Besides, I thought kids were meant to go to school to study, not to run around kicking balls, or running or playing netball.

The way i see it... everyone has a civil right to an education.

Education does not include.....sports. I have zero issue with all sports programs ending and the money used elsewhere.

Of course it includes sports.

Education does not include.....sports. I have zero issue with all sports programs ending and the money used elsewhere.

What purpose did the endless PE classes of football, baseball, soccer, and golf teach me? Nothing. Sport is useless in an education.

What purpose did the endless PE classes of football, baseball, soccer, and golf teach me? Nothing. Sport is useless in an education.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand education.

I imagine YOU didn't understand or retain anything from History, English, Science, or Math class either. Does that mean they are useless in education?

Sports programs MAKE more money for schools than they cost. I can hardly wait until Notre Dame has football players in wheelchairs or some unfortunate retarded player running the wrong way on the field.

almost all of the downs kids I have worked with over the years have an imaginary friend.

Maybe Manti T'eo is DS ???

Forum List

Back