Participation in school sports is a civil right

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2011
Schools have to accept the disabled on their teams.

Sports are a civil right for disabled, US says - Yahoo! News

Federal laws, including the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, require states to provide a free public education to all students and bans schools that receive federal funds from discriminating against students with disabilities. Going further, the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right.

Title XI destroyed many school sports programs. This might just finish them off.

The way i see it... everyone has a civil right to an education.

Education does not include.....sports. I have zero issue with all sports programs ending and the money used elsewhere.

Sports programs MAKE more money for schools than they cost. I can hardly wait until Notre Dame has football players in wheelchairs or some unfortunate retarded player running the wrong way on the field.

Education does not include.....sports. I have zero issue with all sports programs ending and the money used elsewhere.

Actually, considering todays more sedentary youth, education has to include sports.

That being said, forcing a team to take on someone who cannot play the sport is wrong. What is the diffrence between cutting someone who cant throw because they suck at it, and cutting a person who can't throw because they have no arms?

School is for education not sports.

sports is part of an education, at least participating in it.

And if rooting for a team helps bring in $$ via alumi as well as enrollment, whats the harm?

Sports also allow a small percentage of the population to earn tons of money, which is a good thing.

Actually, considering todays more sedentary youth, education has to include sports.

That being said, forcing a team to take on someone who cannot play the sport is wrong. What is the diffrence between cutting someone who cant throw because they suck at it, and cutting a person who can't throw because they have no arms?

and where does parental responsibility come in to that equation of getting kids off of their asses?

How about a gym full of an aerobic class..... that will get everyone psychically fit and everyone can participate.

sports are not necessary.

Sports programs MAKE more money for schools than they cost. I can hardly wait until Notre Dame has football players in wheelchairs or some unfortunate retarded player running the wrong way on the field.

Som schools make money on their sports.
Does you local elementary school? Middle school? High school?

the local Tennis team makes millions for our high school?

How about a fair distribution of the scoring so that no one wins or loses. They just get to play.

They're free to try out just like anyone else interested in a sport, and subject to being cut for inability to perform just like anyone else.

"So, you wanna give it a go for one of the wide receiver spots, huh? Okay, it'd be a lot easier if you had two legs, but give it your best shot..."

And if rooting for a team helps bring in $$ via alumi as well as enrollment, whats the harm?

Sports also allow a small percentage of the population to earn tons of money, which is a good thing.

Sports are an elective..... not part of an education.

the harm is that not everyone can be part of the team.

everyone can be in the band... not everyone can be on the football team.
everyone can be in an art class...not everyone can be in the baseball team.

and where does parental responsibility come in to that equation of getting kids off of their asses?

How about a gym full of an aerobic class..... that will get everyone psychically fit and everyone can participate.

A bit of background. I am terrible at sports. Never was on a travel team, I was bullied by members of sports teams.

That being said, ametuer sports at all levels are an outlet for the less academically gifted among us to make a living, or at least get a baseline education. Just because I can't play them doesnt mean I begrudge those who get a benefit from them.

Sports however, is a strict meritocracy, where performace should rule team membership and wins. Sports also provide organization skills, cooperational skills, and instill the reality of the world, where you have to do something to "win" not just have it handed to you.

How about a fair distribution of the scoring so that no one wins or loses. They just get to play.

nope... that is not sports then. An aerobic class would server them better. Sports should not be rigged to be politically correct... otherwise it really will not teach them anything at all.

the harm is that not everyone can be part of the team.

everyone can be in the band... not everyone can be on the football team.
everyone can be in an art class...not everyone can be in the baseball team.

Thats life. The sooner people learn that, the better.

I learned I was clumsy, so after the first time, I stayed off the top level of the monkey bars.

And not everyone could be in band, in our school the class size was limited and there were tryouts. You could take intro to music, but you couldnt be in the symphony band.

At all these schools, most people could play in intermurals, but you have to try out for travel V/JV teams.

They're free to try out just like anyone else interested in a sport, and subject to being cut for inability to perform just like anyone else.

"So, you wanna give it a go for one of the wide receiver spots, huh? Okay, it'd be a lot easier if you had two legs, but give it your best shot..."

agreed. The big push was to "be like everyone else"

fine... be like everyone else and play to standards. You make it or you dont.

The same thing happens to someone who tries out for wide reciever but can't catch the damn ball. "Welcome to the secondary, Mr. Cornerback/safety."

Federal laws, including the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, require states to provide a free public education to all students and bans schools that receive federal funds from discriminating against students with disabilities. Going further, the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right.

Title XI destroyed many school sports programs. This might just finish them off.

it destroyed school sports because women's sports were given equal footing?

are you retarded.

never mind...

it destroyed school sports because women's sports were given equal footing?

are you retarded.

never mind...

it gutted smaller male sports like wrestling and volleyball as schools with football programs.

Just because a law has benefits, does not mean that the downside can be ignored. I had several friends in college lose thier scholarships on the wrestling team due to Title IX, as the team got culled. And we were a small school with just a basketball program. (Div 1).

People can rationalize the victims of title IX, but they shouldnt be ignored.

A bit of background. I am terrible at sports. Never was on a travel team, I was bullied by members of sports teams.

That being said, ametuer sports at all levels are an outlet for the less academically gifted among us to make a living, or at least get a baseline education. Just because I can't play them doesnt mean I begrudge those who get a benefit from them.

Sports however, is a strict meritocracy, where performace should rule team membership and wins. Sports also provide organization skills, cooperational skills, and instill the reality of the world, where you have to do something to "win" not just have it handed to you.

i was great at everything... and declined being on the teams and doing preferences....to the chagrin of many

That being said....sport programs are not part of an education. They are an elective.

Forum List

Back