Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Looks like Martin finally got fed up with Shelia's antics:

Martin kicks maverick MP Carolyn Parrish out of Liberal caucus

2 hours, 29 minutes ago

DAN DUGAS

OTTAWA (CP) - Prime Minister Paul Martin dropped the hammer on outspoken MP Carolyn Parrish on Thursday and no one shed a tear over her ouster from the Liberal caucus.

Cabinet ministers, backbenchers and even opposition critics on the left who share many of her views said she had it coming.

The suburban Toronto Liberal gained notoriety for her outspoken anti-Americanism - "Damn Americans, I hate the bastards," she once said - and for calling George W. Bush "war-like."

Earlier this week, she taped a segment for CBC-TV's comedy show This Hour has 22 Minutes in which she stomps on a Bush doll.

That prompted the Conservatives to demand Martin boot her from caucus for offending the Americans.

But the final straw for Martin came after Parrish took direct aim at his leadership in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"I cannot, as leader of our party and the government caucus, tolerate behaviour that demeans and disrespects others," Martin said less than 24 hours after Parrish's attack.

"It is unacceptable."

Parrish, 58, had said that if Martin "loses the next election and he has to resign, I wouldn't shed a tear over it."

"I have absolutely no loyalty to this team - none," she said.

She said she lost respect for Martin when he refused to intervene to ensure a "clean race" for the Liberal nomination in her riding of Mississauga-Erindale.

She did not return phone calls Thursday.

Showing a lack of faith in the leader has not always been a firing offence in the Liberal party.

Former cabinet minister Stan Keyes, a Paul Martin supporter, once called for then-prime minister Jean Chretien to resign and make way for Martin, but kept his job.

Parrish's firing reduces the minority Liberal ranks in the 308-seat Commons to 134 seats.

The Conservatives hold 99 seats, the Bloc Quebecois 54 and New Democrats 19.

Parrish becomes the second Independent.

No one was complaining after Parrish was shown the door, said Ontario caucus chair Sarmite Bulte.

"The prime minister did come and speak to the national executive and, yes, it was the unanimous decision by the executive to support the prime minister's decision - unequivocally, I might add."

Defence Minister Bill Graham said Martin was forced to take action.

More

Finally Parrish and her big mouth are gone from the Liberals. Paul Martin does have a backbone and did the right thing. This woman, IMHO, is mentally ill.

Forum List

Back