Parents! Your thoughts please...

Ole' Pale not in yet...lol...I left before he did and he was talking to Donna..maybe I still have the matchmaker touch afterall...lol...But I am still mad because he said "that girl spells trouble" He was probably right albeit it was a real bummer...I was looking at her after a couple of beers...but she was cute...no doubt in my mind...but he was most likely right about..."Trouble"....:laugh:

Ole' Pale not in yet...lol...I left before he did and he was talking to Donna..maybe I still have the matchmaker touch afterall...lol...But I am still mad because he said "that girl spells trouble" He was probably right albeit it was a real bummer...I was looking at her after a couple of beers...but she was cute...no doubt in my mind...but he was most likely right about..."Trouble"....:laugh:

I had to stop at the Legacy arch. I had some chips there to do some gambling with. Won $180. Better than and sharp stick in the eye aye pard?

I'm starting another thread with the pictures of us.

Here's my take.. No, I don't have kids, but I do care for them on a quite regular basis - 2 nephews, a niece, and another nephew due in less than 2 weeks. Ages from (currently) 2-13.

You're there to provide the care parents can't provide during working hours. Kids learn to adapt to a system based on where they are, so long as consistency is involved. If there are no other children in your house using pacifiers, then do away with it.. But make sure you're able to get the childs mind focused on something else. It takes time, but with consistency, he won't miss it while he's in your care.

My nephews big on getting what he wants when he wants it, because Grandma and Grandpa allow him to walk all over them. If he wants, he can have popcicles and french fries for breakfast.. If he doesn't want a nap, he doesn't have to take one..

However, in MY house, things are different. We eat breakfast food for breakfast, we don't spend hours in front of the TV, we're a big boy, so we drink out of cups; not baby bottles. We go down for a nap at precisely noon, and relax for at least an hour (he actually falls asleep now, and sleeps 2-3 hours), etc. 9 times out of 10, this child is a complete angel in my care, and goes all phycho when he gets back around people he can walk all over.

It's all in the examples you set, and how you set them.. Eventually, he'll never miss that pacifier, and will probably forget to bring it when he's going to your house.

Just my two cents.

"Most" experts agree that by age 2, children should be off the pacifier (and not sucking their thumb).

The only thing I would add to what Shattered posted was that I would consult with the parents and tell them that "your program" is to wean the kids off their pacifier/thumbs once they turn two. This way the parents know what you are doing and can provide the same enforcement once they get home with their child.

It really won't do any good if you tell the child no, then the parents give it back once they are at home.

"Most" experts agree that by age 2, children should be off the pacifier (and not sucking their thumb).

The only thing I would add to what Shattered posted was that I would consult with the parents and tell them that "your program" is to wean the kids off their pacifier/thumbs once they turn two. This way the parents know what you are doing and can provide the same enforcement once they get home with their child.

It really won't do any good if you tell the child no, then the parents give it back once they are at home.

Experts don't know shit.

Experts don't know shit.

Like the ones quoted in those 'books'? I especially love the ones given out by my ob/gyn. This old lady I know literally tooked out of my hand and threw it in the garbage. Why argue with 'real time' experience (just for you Arch, cause I know you're reading this). :laugh:

Experts don't know shit.

oh, and all the old time beliefs are still ok by today's standards? If I listened to all the advice older women have handed out to me, I would not leave the house at all in the winter with my baby, or bundle him in 7 layers of clothing if I do take him out, give him honey to soothe his cough, and believe that pre-eclampsia/PIH is a result from taking contraceptives before getting pregnant...

oh, and all the old time beliefs are still ok by today's standards? If I listened to all the advice older women have handed out to me, I would not leave the house at all in the winter with my baby, or bundle him in 7 layers of clothing if I do take him out, give him honey to soothe his cough, and believe that pre-eclampsia/PIH is a result from taking contraceptives before getting pregnant...

Had pre-eclampsia... never took any form of hormonal birth control in my life. Just backing you up here, fuzzy, without having read the rest of the thread, lol! :)

Old ladies can be wacky, although the best advise I ever received came from the old ladies. You can take some of it with a grain of salt of course, but the old lady who gave birth to 8 babies might know a thing or two. This is just my opinion of course, as true as it may be. :laugh:

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Spock or the newer guru. I did buy into putting the infant/toddler on a schedual. I put into the feeding suggestions-nursed each a year, no 'solids' til then. Purees after 6 months.

All of my children were out of pacis, bottles by 12 months. Diapers by 12-18 months, during the day. 24 months at night.

I loved the infant years, most cohesive of my time on earth.

The best advice I ever got was from one of those "old ladies".

She was a nurse at the hospital where I gave birth. I was admitted at 9PM on a Monday night. I had my kid at 12:18Am on Tuesday. I didn't get taken to a room until about 5AM. It was right out across from the nurses station and was a two bed room. The other bed was empty when I first got there.

I couldn't sleep. I was too keyed up, still shivering, and there was too much fucking noise. About 10 o'clock I was just about to fall asleep when the visitors started coming. Everybody came. I was going to breast feed so they kept bring the baby in. So sometimes she was there when I had visitors and sometimes she wasn't there. I couldn't sleep that whole day, either because of visitors, or them bringing the baby.

At about 7 o'clock that Tuesday night, after the last visitor had left, I finally managed to fall asleep. For about 3 minutes. Next thing I knew they brought another woman in the room and put her in the next bed. We chatted. She had spent 33 hours in labor, she said. Yikes. She had paid for the TV, so she angled it so we could both see it. Within 15 minutes she was sound asleep. And snoring. And TV blaring. I turned the TV off, but there was nothing I could about her snoring.

I think I managed about 2 hours sleep that night. I asked if I could go home Wednesday and the doctor said no. I got a couple of hours of sleep Wednesday night. They woke me up Thursday morning at 5AM so I could feed the baby. When the doctor came later that morning I broke down in tears and I BEGGED him to let me go home. I was so exhausted all I wanted to do was go home and sleep. Between the visitors, and the noise, I had gotten may 5 or 6 hours of sleep in four days. He said yes on Thursday.

I was officially released at 11AM. Just before I left the nurse came into my room. I was all dressed and ready to leave, but she made me sit on the bed. She sat on the bed next to me and she told me the following:

"For the next week, maybe two, everybody you know is going to come visit to see the baby. Do not wait on them. Make them wait on you. Do not make them coffee, do not get them a soda, do not make them a snack. They should get you the coffee, get you the soda, get you the snack.

When the novelty wears off, and when they've all seen the baby, you'll be on your own. Their interest won't last, so don't expect it to. After a couple of weeks, it's just you and the baby. And don't worry about the baby. Try not to drop it and you'll be fine."

And she got up and she left.

I never dropped her.

Had pre-eclampsia... never took any form of hormonal birth control in my life. Just backing you up here, fuzzy, without having read the rest of the thread, lol! :)

yeah, that one came up last year at a pampered chef party at Tim's grandma's senior complex. I laughed SO hard at that one. I had pre-e with Nathan, and I have only taken the pill once, but stopped after 3 weeks because it made me real nutty.

I can't believe some woman heard Ben cough, and told me to give him honey! Nicely, I asked her why, and she said that it would soothe his cough, or I could use a small watered-down amount of robitussin. I told her that honey contains bacterial spores that thrive in a child's digestive system and can cause infant botulism, and that cough syrup has recently been discovered to be useless.

So much for old folks' advice....

yeah, that one came up last year at a pampered chef party at Tim's grandma's senior complex. I laughed SO hard at that one. I had pre-e with Nathan, and I have only taken the pill once, but stopped after 3 weeks because it made me real nutty.

I can't believe some woman heard Ben cough, and told me to give him honey! Nicely, I asked her why, and she said that it would soothe his cough, or I could use a small watered-down amount of robitussin. I told her that honey contains bacterial spores that thrive in a child's digestive system and can cause infant botulism, and that cough syrup has recently been discovered to be useless.

So much for old folks' advice...

Yeah, those ole folks’ are dangerous critters! I don’t understand how they ever managed to grow such an intellectually superior, no-it all, group of youngins. What with all those old time remedies it’s a wonder mankind has survived, ain’t it?

Yeah, those ole folks’ are dangerous critters! I don’t understand how they ever managed to grow such an intellectually superior, no-it all, group of youngins. What with all those old time remedies it’s a wonder mankind has survived, ain’t it?

in this case, the honey could kill my son... so-called cough syrup (even watered down) is unnecessary medicine, esp in a 4.5m/o infant, and the chemicals in it can cause liver problems. Over-bundling an infant overheats them and they can actually die (would be categorized under SIDS). Would you strap your kids in car seats, or just let them float around the car? What you don't know CAN kill your kids.

Oh, and old ladies telling women they will get pre-e during their pregnancy if they take the pill now is just plain irresponsible and could scare someone into not taking it, when it is perfectly safe to do for most women and has nothing to do with pre-e during pregnancy. Where do they come up with that stuff?

So, before surgery, do you just take a few shots of whiskey or would you prefer anesthesia?

Do we still bleed cholera patients? How about avoiding swimming in lakes and/or rivers because we are afraid of getting Polio? Should you still put butter or margarine on a burn?

Not all 'old fashioned' remedies, techniques, and advice is all bad, but do you think we would be where we are now, and our life expectancy has gone up by about 20 years in the last 100 years if we kept just using all the old-time advice and remedies?

link to a site I visit often-which has a whole list of advice you shouldn't take: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/general/aches/old_wives_tales.html

in this case, the honey could kill my son... so-called cough syrup (even watered down) is unnecessary medicine, esp in a 4.5m/o infant, and the chemicals in it can cause liver problems. Over-bundling an infant overheats them and they can actually die (would be categorized under SIDS). Would you strap your kids in car seats, or just let them float around the car? What you don't know CAN kill your kids.

Oh, and old ladies telling women they will get pre-e during their pregnancy if they take the pill now is just plain irresponsible and could scare someone into not taking it, when it is perfectly safe to do for most women and has nothing to do with pre-e during pregnancy. Where do they come up with that stuff?

So, before surgery, do you just take a few shots of whiskey or would you prefer anesthesia?

Do we still bleed cholera patients? How about avoiding swimming in lakes and/or rivers because we are afraid of getting Polio? Should you still put butter or margarine on a burn?

Not all 'old fashioned' remedies, techniques, and advice is all bad, but do you think we would be where we are now, and our life expectancy has gone up by about 20 years in the last 100 years if we kept just using all the old-time advice and remedies?

link to a site I visit often-which has a whole list of advice you shouldn't take: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/general/aches/old_wives_tales.html

I think honey is getting a bad rap...
The rate of disease is about 0.02 per 100,000 or 70 to 100 cases annually in the United States since first recognized in 1976. Most infants that develop Infant Botulism have not been exposed to honey.
Oh my, it must be something else. Ya think? How about .....Honey and other raw agricultural products may contain bacterial spores from Clostridium botulinum that could cause Infant Botulism. These bacterial spores are widely distributed in nature. They can be found in soil, dust, the air or raw agricultural products. C. botulinum spores have been detected in corn syrup, honey, fresh and processed meats, fruits and vegetables.

And you'll go blind from that...These are all different than ole folks not knowing what works and what doesn't. Although I'm sure "you'll go blind from that" worked for some. :laugh:

I think honey is getting a bad rap...
The rate of disease is about 0.02 per 100,000 or 70 to 100 cases annually in the United States since first recognized in 1976. Most infants that develop Infant Botulism have not been exposed to honey. Oh my, it must be something else. Ya think? How about .....Honey and other raw agricultural products may contain bacterial spores from Clostridium botulinum that could cause Infant Botulism. These bacterial spores are widely distributed in nature. They can be found in soil, dust, the air or raw agricultural products. C. botulinum spores have been detected in corn syrup, honey, fresh and processed meats, fruits and vegetables.
link please...

why on earth would you give an infant raw, uncooked anything? Not only that, fruits & veggies that you do use should be washed and dried before even doing anything with them. Meat is cooked of course. You can't do either of these to honey without altering its chemical state, and heating honey to the point needed to killing the bacteria will actually start to ferment it.

And the article said 'most' not 'all' infants, so it HAS HAPPENED, and it still stated that the spores ARE found in honey. What whatever article you got that from neglected to say that because honey is actually a concentrated form of its' original state, the spores and bacteria are higher in concentration than fruits & vegetables. If the infants stated in those statistics got the disease from either fruits/veggies or meats, it is likely because the person preparing them didn't cook and/or clean the food properly or cross-contaminated from some other food source. The air has to be the lowest concentration per sq acre or mile or whatever you want to use. If it were an issue to worry about, immuno-deficient patients would be in a panic.

mayo clinic agrees: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

Sure, the risk is low, but it is still a risk. It's like drinking wine during pregnancy. Some people say it is ok because there is a low risk with the % in the wine, but most people say no alcohol at all. Would you take the risk knowing what could come of your choice and that your child could suffer because of it?

Forum List

Back