Parade Permits: Constitutional or not?

Absolutely constitutional. Permits could be required in order to maintain some degree of preparedness on the part of city officials. Parades are a logistics nightmare for law enforcement agencies and all other city government agencies. Requiring permits would have to be deemed "Necessary and Proper" by city officials. Though the Constitution doesn't strictly allow for this, Article I, Clause 18 of the consitution would allow the govt. to require them as "Necessary and Proper."

onthefence said:
Absolutely constitutional. Permits could be required in order to maintain some degree of preparedness on the part of city officials. Parades are a logistics nightmare for law enforcement agencies and all other city government agencies. Requiring permits would have to be deemed "Necessary and Proper" by city officials. Though the Constitution doesn't strictly allow for this, Article I, Clause 18 of the consitution would allow the govt. to require them as "Necessary and Proper."
Provided that permission to parade is granted by default, and that said "permit" was really just notification to facilitate the logistics of the event, I'm in complete agreement.

The interesting tangent to this is the notion of "Free Speech Zones" where only dissident opinioners are fenced off from an event--free to express themselves, but nowhere near where their dissident expressions can be noted.

Parade permits are constitutional as proven by the Neo-Nazi and KKK marches that were upheld in court. You have the right to assemble protected under the constitution. A Permit is just as Loki said. Its notification to city officials that a group wishes to assemble in order for them to make preparations.

Forum List

Back