Panpsychism

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor
"We live in succession, in division, in parts, in particles. Meantime within man is the soul of the whole; the wise silence; the universal beauty, to which every part and particle is equally related, the eternal ONE. And this deep power in which we exist and whose beatitude is all accessible to us, is not only self-sufficing and perfect in every hour, but the act of seeing and the thing seen, the seer and the spectacle, the subject and the object, are one. We see the world piece by piece, as the sun, the moon, the animal, the tree; but the whole, of which these are shining parts, is the soul." - The Oversoul, Ralph Waldo Emerson

'pan' means all. 'psyche' is the Greek word for soul. We translate 'psyche' as mind. The ancients tended to consider the world of thought to be much less affiliated with matter than we moderns. Regardless, panpsychism refers to the universality of consciousness. Consciousness is everywhere and the human brain is an organ which channels it. These are my off-the-cuff channelings and others might have a different definition of panpsychism.

I've always been dissatisfied with the word 'instinct'. How does a bee know a language of dance with which to communicate to other bees the direction, distance and awesomeness of a pollen source? Patently, we say it has instinct. The program for the dance is imprinted in the DNA. I say that the bee is tapping into a layer of hive mind and furthermore that the hive is connected to universal consciousness.

When I contemplate the bio-sphere as a whole, I see that it operates as if it were one creature. It maintains homeostasis. It has a collective will to live. It has grown and it ages. Gaia theory even postulates that the bio-sphere rids itself of 'disease' by way of extincting species.

At any rate, physics describes a physical universe which is one continuous indivisible whole. Physically, the separation between myself and this keyboard and you and everything else is an illusion. It's all one thing. Panpsychism describes a unity of consciousness. In that sense, we participate in eternity and immortality.

Forum List

Back