Palin's Supreme Court Knowledge

N4mddissent

Sep 30, 2008
Just in case anyone was sitting on the fence, consider this fact. If you saw the clip where Couric asks Palin, "Other than Roe v. Wade, are there any other Supreme Court decisions you diagree with?" And Palin says, well...she doesn't say anything really other than some mention of the long history of the court and state rights and then mentions Roe v. Wade. Now, a lot of people might expect her to say something like Dred Scott which permitted slavery and prohibited slaves from becoming citizens. But she didn't. She didn't say anything. Now maybe it was just a hard question. Of course, Couric could have been giving her an opportunity to elaborate on Exxon v. Baker, a fairly recent Supreme Court decision followed fairly closely in Alaska and one that afterwards the governor of Alaska, a Ms. Sarah Palin, issued a statement saying she was disappointed in this ruling.

But then again, it's probably just that bitch Couric's "Gotcha" Journalism. (Don't forget her sidekick, super secret journalist Grad Student Boy)

Only read from here on if you are in the mood for satire.

Questions the hardcore Palin supporters would have liked Couric to ask:

Why does your hair always look great?

Do you think raising five kids including one with Down Syndrome probably makes you the best person in the world, or definitely makes you the best person in the world?"

Do people often thank you for taking over as governor of Alaska and cleaning up the putrid cesspool of corruption and bureaucratic filth that was slowly sinking Alaska into the hellish depths of anarchy and depravity before you saved it?

Do you think god created you just for us? Never mind, I know you're too humble to answer that but we know.

Tell us why you think some Americans are so deluded and let's face it, elitist, they think that somehow graduating with honors form Harvard Law makes someone more prepared to be president than your ability to hunt moose.

Do you think John McCain's scowls or your presence as Governor of Alaska has done more to prevent the rise of a new Soviet Union and keep Putin in his place?

Do you think Obama's identity as the black muslim antichrist affects his ability to lead?

When you refurnished all the orphanages in Alaska with the profits from the plane you sold on e-bay, is it true that you tried to give all the credit to other people because you felt the positive attention would make them feel better?

Finally, when you took a pitbull type stance and shook up all those old political insiders by refusing absolutely and from the beggining any earmarks, especially turning down without hesitations or temptations, the bridge to no-where, did it make you and your family feel proud?

Who gives a shit about her knowledge of the cases of the High Court. I couldn't tell you much about the High Court until I went to law school. Now I can quote too many of them. Guess what, knowing all those majority oppinions and dissents hasn't helped me a damn bit. Knowing these cases has never been a litmus in the past and shouldn't be now.

That being said, I personally think she is dumb as a bag of shit. I just hate double standards.

Questions the hardcore Palin supporters would have liked Couric to ask:

Why does your hair always look great?

This is really petty but has any one noticed that since the RNC, Palin has gained some highlights in her hair? Could it be that some of the bleach seeped into her brain?

Okay... I said it was petty ... but it's a thought! :lol:

Who gives a shit about her knowledge of the cases of the High Court.

I'm not saying she should have had extensive knowledge. But one other than Roe v. Wade would have been comforting. But the other point was, before people start saying it was a "gotcha" question, people might want to consider that Couric was giving Palin a chance to sound more informed and savvy since she had actually commented on a supreme court case based in Alaska that had a verdict she disagreed with. But despite commenting on it, it must have not left much of an impression on her.

Now that I think about it, there are middle school children who can at least tell you about Dred Scott. It's not a litmus test, but she is trying to be in a position where there is a reasonable possibility that she may be in a position which requires her to potentially select supreme court justices. If Couric had asked her about specific obscure cases, or even asked her to name three cases she disagreed with, then it might be a little over the top. But if you can't name one case other than Roe v. Wade, not even one that occurred concerning a major incident in your state, that indicates a certain fundamental lack of thought about serious national issues within the constitutional framework of our nation. It's not like Couric asked her to give her opinion on Stare Decisis. Although, I have never been to law school. I live in a town half the size of Wasilla, Alaska, surrounded by fields. But I know what the Bush Doctrine is, and I know more Supreme Court decisions than Roe v. Wade, and I even know what Starre Decisis is because I keep up with what's going on in the world. If I can learn this stuff without trying, just by keeping up with current events over the last few years, then what does it say about her that she doesn't know it? Having a lot of knowledge about various offenses and defenses and positions doesn't necessarily make you an effective coach, but the more of that knowledge you lack, the harder it is to be an effective coach.

Who gives a shit about her knowledge of the cases of the High Court. I couldn't tell you much about the High Court until I went to law school. Now I can quote too many of them. Guess what, knowing all those majority oppinions and dissents hasn't helped me a damn bit. Knowing these cases has never been a litmus in the past and shouldn't be now.

That being said, I personally think she is dumb as a bag of shit. I just hate double standards.

Are you practising as a lawyer? If so, are you serious that knowing the cases hasn't helped you? When did they chuck out stare decisis? :eusa_eh:

That didn't stop Joe Biden from knowing plenty.

Here's some she probably hates based on her views and record and could of named:

Stenberg v. Carhart.

Lawrence v. Texas

Everson v. Board of Education

Last edited:
That didn't stop Joe Biden from knowing plenty.

Here's some she probably hates based on her views and record and could of named:

Stenberg v. Carhart.

Lawrence v. Texas

Everson v. Board of Education

CBS had the video comparing Biden's and Palin's answers, side by side, to the exact same questions about the supreme court. It's really shocking. Biden was able to give thoughtful, substantive, intellectual answers of Supreme Court case history, and cases he disagreed with.

Palin's response was embarrassing, ill informed, and inarticulate.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/01/eveningnews/main4493062.shtml

She can't name one supreme court case she thought was wrong? I would think the Governor of Alaska would be knowlegeable of that huge case, just last year, of Exxon v Baker - because it involved Alaska and the Valdez oil spill. That was a huge case, and nearly everyone in Alaska was pissed off about that court decision.

Last edited:
the woman's a moron.

She's a perfect candidate for the Republicans.

They love morons like her and Bush II.

Sometimes I look at this woman being interviewed and I feel sorry for her.

And then she gets that mad look in her eyes and I don't feel sorry for her.

Why anyone would want this woman within coo-ee of the White House is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure most Americans are smarter than the wingnut minority and they'll give McCain and Palin the boot.

Given that the next president of the U.S. will probably have to appoint between two and four justices, and given McCain's age, I think it's pretty important.... particularly when the idealogues moan and complain about "activist judges".

That said, I prefer dumb as toast. ;)

It's not that she doesn't know, it more of her answers. She CLEARLY doesn't know the answers to some of the questions but she still tries to BS her way out of it. It wouldn't be so bad if she said she didn't know.

"What magazines/newspapers do you read?"
"Just about all of em....."
"Anything specific?"
"Just about all of em that are in front of me"

^^^WTF?????

That's like someone asking me:

"So what restaurants do you like dining out at?"
"O, just about all of em"
"So Which specific restaurant?"
"Any restaurant that's in front of me"

^^^?????

o_O

OBAMA QUESTIONS
How does it feel to break a glass ceiling?
How does it feel to “win”?
How does your family feel about your “winning” breaking a glass ceiling?
Who will be your VP?
Should you choose Hillary Clinton as VP?
Will you accept public finance?
What issues is your campaign about?
Will you visit Iraq?
Will you debate McCain at a town hall?
What did you think of your competitor’s [Clinton] speech?

PALIN QUESTIONS

Do you have enough qualifications for the job you’re seeking? Specifically have you visited foreign countries and met foreign leaders?
Aren’t you conceited to be seeking this high level job?
Questions about foreign policy
-territorial integrity of Georgia
-allowing Georgia and Ukraine to be members of NATO
-NATO treaty
-Iranian nuclear threat
-what to do if Israel attacks Iran
-Al Qaeda motivations
-the Bush Doctrine
-attacking terrorists harbored by Pakistan
Is America fighting a holy war? [misquoted Palin]

Not that I think Palin is a braintrust, far from it, however, some of the questions that she is asked as compared to the other candidates are a little much. So you think the average American knows about Supreme Court decisions? Hell the average American can't even tell you who the first president of the United States was. I admit she looked like a complete trainwreck in her last two interviews but some of the questions she is asked are a pure gotcha type. On the Supreme Court thing though, I will say this, there is that Bush v. Gore one. Not that a member of the Republican party would not know that. lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE]YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES[/ame]

I know. She's being asked left-field questions (who the hell can come up with Supreme Court decisions that they disagree with at the drop of a hat. Huh?) that are tailored to be absolutely specific and to make her look stupid.

They ask Obama about feelings. They ask Palin about foreign relations experience and Supreme Court rulings.

What a joke. She should have said, "Name a couple, you dumb bitch, and I'll tell you if I agree with them or not."

Then she should have bopped Katie in the nose. She'd be the first President ever to be written in by an adoring public.

A little much?

Not on what she reads, the Exon Valdez Supreme court decision, what McCain has deregulated, etc.

She has had trouble answering the simplest of questions for someone who should be qualified to be VP.

She bullshits and prettyfacers her way out of the answer.

And, yes, Diuretec, she is mean and vindictive according to some reports.

I know. She's being asked left-field questions (who the hell can come up with Supreme Court decisions that they disagree with at the drop of a hat. Huh?) that are tailored to be absolutely specific and to make her look stupid.

They ask Obama about feelings. They ask Palin about foreign relations experience and Supreme Court rulings.

What a joke. She should have said, "Name a couple, you dumb bitch, and I'll tell you if I agree with them or not."

Ali, you don't know your partisan ass from a hole in the ground.

Did you read on these threads that back in June the Supreme Court decision on the Exon Valdeze decreased the amount of damages that they have to pay for damaging ALASKA beaches and she complained about it then.

She can't remember that far back.

Keep defending her no matter what happens. She could be the final push to make sure McCain stays in Arizona.

I guess you missed the damn debate. They asked Obama a lot more than about his feelings.

Talk about a partisan hack.

Living on De Nile is not a great thing.

Forum List

Back