Palestinians demand return of "their" heritage -- Dead Sea Scolls

...the Mufti is on shaky ground, so to speak, to make the claim that: "In the whole city, there is not even a single stone indicating Jewish history",...

Yes. Yes, he is. Thank you for acknowledging that.

My statement was that I had not come across the notion that the Palestinians want to erase all Jewish connection with the Holy Land and the Mufti's archaeological opinion about Jerusalem does not constitute such a widespread attitude among Palestinians or the PLO.

So how many statements, and by whom, would constitute a widespread attitude?

Why don't we start with the idea that Jews are not allowed to pray at their most holy site? Would that represent a "widespread attitude" to you?

I have never come across the notion that the Palestinians want to erase all Jewish connection with the Holy Land.

Your ignorance is astounding. Here ya go:

There is not [even] the smallest indication of the existence of a Jewish Temple on this place in the past. In the whole city, there is not even a single stone indicating Jewish history... The Jews cannot legitimately claim [the Western] wall, neither religiously nor historically. The Committee of the League of Nations recommended in 1930, to allow the Jews to pray there, in order to keep them quiet. But by no means did it acknowledge that the wall belongs to them.

That was the Mufti of Jerusalem. Want more? I got more. There is LOTS where that came from. Now, that you are enlightened, does that change your point of view at all?
I have no wish nor intention of being rude but since you on a previous topic and two other people in this thread have accused me of being uneducated, ignorant, vulgar, etc., I''m afraid I am at a loss for words. In my life, I have never had a discussion, debate, or an exchange of views with strangers who adopt such an attitude and use such a disrespectful tone. Do you honestly expect a civil answer when you write of my ignorance as you did? Heavens above!

Eloy, I actually think you're kinda funny. However, if you debate a subject, you should be somewhat knowledgeable in that subject. For instance, I have been surprised over the years at the false statements many of the posters here have made, until I realized many of them have never been to Israel and/or Palestine. Since you decided to debate these Scrolls, I thought you had some knowledge of the subject. I'm not an expert myself, but I had been to a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibition once, had some knowledge of the Essene sect, but most important of all, I have read the Hebrew Bible, which makes up the main bulk of the Scrolls. That's basically all you need--a basic knowledge of the Tanach/Hebrew Bible--not any scholarly citations. So come back with some basic knowledge, although it may be less cute on your part.
I may not have any expert knowledge of the Dead Sea Scrolls but that does not disqualify me from having an opinion about the proper place to house archaeological artifacts. Generally, I believe they belong where made such as the Parthenon Marbles belonging in Greece, not London, and the Rosetta Stone should be in Egypt, not London. Similarly the Dead Sea Scrolls belong in Qumran or at least somewhere in Palestine. I reject modern peoples declaring ownership of any archaeological artifacts which are the property of everyone and only held in trust for humanity by their curators.

My statement was that I had not come across the notion that the Palestinians want to erase all Jewish connection with the Holy Land and the Mufti's archaeological opinion about Jerusalem does not constitute such a widespread attitude among Palestinians or the PLO.

Why don't we start with the idea that Jews are not allowed to pray at their most holy site? Would that represent a "widespread attitude" to you?
Under the current conditions of brutal occupation and blockade of Palestine by the Israelis, I believe it is best to wait until there is peace in the Holy Land before we can allow ourselves to expect respect for ordinary people's desire to get on with their lives unmolested. I do not see that happening soon. In the meantime, all we can do is promote justice in whatever way we can and support those who struggle for their rights. With wisdom, everyone can be accommodated even where conflicting attitudes run deep. Sadly, the outlook for the Holy Land is bleak.

I have never come across the notion that the Palestinians want to erase all Jewish connection with the Holy Land.

There is not [even] the smallest indication of the existence of a Jewish Temple on this place in the past. In the whole city, there is not even a single stone indicating Jewish history... The Jews cannot legitimately claim [the Western] wall, neither religiously nor historically. The Committee of the League of Nations recommended in 1930, to allow the Jews to pray there, in order to keep them quiet. But by no means did it acknowledge that the wall belongs to them.

That was the Mufti of Jerusalem. Want more? I got more. There is LOTS where that came from. Now, that you are enlightened, does that change your point of view at all?
I have no wish nor intention of being rude but since you on a previous topic and two other people in this thread have accused me of being uneducated, ignorant, vulgar, etc., I''m afraid I am at a loss for words. In my life, I have never had a discussion, debate, or an exchange of views with strangers who adopt such an attitude and use such a disrespectful tone. Do you honestly expect a civil answer when you write of my ignorance as you did? Heavens above!

Eloy, I actually think you're kinda funny. However, if you debate a subject, you should be somewhat knowledgeable in that subject. For instance, I have been surprised over the years at the false statements many of the posters here have made, until I realized many of them have never been to Israel and/or Palestine. Since you decided to debate these Scrolls, I thought you had some knowledge of the subject. I'm not an expert myself, but I had been to a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibition once, had some knowledge of the Essene sect, but most important of all, I have read the Hebrew Bible, which makes up the main bulk of the Scrolls. That's basically all you need--a basic knowledge of the Tanach/Hebrew Bible--not any scholarly citations. So come back with some basic knowledge, although it may be less cute on your part.
I may not have any expert knowledge of the Dead Sea Scrolls but that does not disqualify me from having an opinion about the proper place to house archaeological artifacts. Generally, I believe they belong where made such as the Parthenon Marbles belonging in Greece, not London, and the Rosetta Stone should be in Egypt, not London. Similarly the Dead Sea Scrolls belong in Qumran or at least somewhere in Palestine. I reject modern peoples declaring ownership of any archaeological artifacts which are the property of everyone and only held in trust for humanity by their curators.

So what you are saying is you would see no problems in depositing American history with Russia, then say that a civilizations artifacts should be with the people involved and not some third party. Are you aware of the size of palestine, and not the paltry little piece you believe is its full extent, it takes in all of Jordan and parts of Saudi, Egypt, Syria, Iraq and Lebanon. If I was to say your family history has to be deposited in the crack house down the road because they have said they will allow full access you would have no problem with it.............................

Under the current conditions of brutal occupation and blockade of Palestine by the Israelis, I believe it is best to wait until there is peace in the Holy Land before we can allow ourselves to expect respect for ordinary people's desire to get on with their lives unmolested. I do not see that happening soon. In the meantime, all we can do is promote justice in whatever way we can and support those who struggle for their rights. With wisdom, everyone can be accommodated even where conflicting attitudes run deep. Sadly, the outlook for the Holy Land is bleak.

What brutal occupation is that then, seeing as the UN and its lap dogs have found no grounds to say this is the case. Resort to violence and you will get violence coming right back at you. The answer has been in the arab muslims hands since 1948 and they refuse to take it on board. Stopping all acts of violence and belligerence for 1 year will automatically bring about the lifting of the blockade and the end of occupation. It will also introduce free determination and having to stand on their own. This would mean having to pay taxes and start negotiations on peace and mutual borders

I reject modern peoples declaring ownership of any archaeological artifacts which are the property of everyone and only held in trust for humanity by their curators.

One thing for sure - Jews are anything but what You call 'modern peoples'. The scrolls themselves are a prove.
What You advocate here is for the scrolls to be held by ANYONE except the Jews.

If You reject modern peoples' claim on historical artifacts- Your main heroes here are the modern Palestinians, who chose to be called Palestinians only in the last 100 years.

Last edited:

I reject modern peoples declaring ownership of any archaeological artifacts which are the property of everyone and only held in trust for humanity by their curators.

One thing for sure - Jews are anything but what You call 'modern peoples'. The scrolls themselves are a prove.

If You reject modern peoples' claim on historical artifacts- Your main heroes here are the modern Palestinians, who chose to be called Palestinians only in the last 100 years.
Your statement that Jews are not modern people makes no sense. Jews are a modern people who are among those who identify with a religion which has roots in the past similar to Christians and Muslims in this sense. Your meta message which is that Jews in Minnesota have a stronger claim on the Dead Sea Scrolls than, for example, Palestinian Christians, because American Jews are not people of the modern era but a throwback to an extinct Jewish cult which lived in Qumran millennia ago. This is farcical.

Oh please, so now JEws have no religious freedom due to "the occupation", while they (UN, National community etc), keep pumping Israel about the need of "equal rights to all"?

Good thing that the right of worship is not included here.

Now THAT's fair. NOT.

Your statement that Jews are not modern people makes no sense. Jews are a modern people who are among those who identify with a religion which has roots in the past similar to Christians and Muslims in this sense. Your meta message which is that Jews in Minnesota have a stronger claim on the Dead Sea Scrolls than, for example, Palestinian Christians, because American Jews are not people of the modern era but a throwback to an extinct Jewish cult which lived in Qumran millennia ago. This is farcical.

It makes perfect sense when you realise your only claim to this is some mid 20C novel that first names the khzars as ever existing. The Jews are the founders of Christianity and islam in as much as their religion is the basis for both of these. And the methods employed in a Minnesota Synagogue would not be alien to Jesus, Moses and Joseph

But we're not talking about Jews in Minnesota, were're talking about Jews in Judea, Israel. Palestinian Jews and Palestinian Christians are among them. They ALL have a reason to keep the scrolls in Israel.

But let's use Your example in a similar situation, let's talk about Yazidis, Kurds and Druze minorities that live in the ME under the rule of Sunni or Shia muslims.
What if their original historical writing were found under those regimes that are intolerable of other ethnicities and religions?
Would those artifacts have better care among Yazidis or say Shia Iraqis?

Do Kurds and Armenians from Berlin have more claim to the works of their ancestors than Turks?

If You choose the later than You're totally inconsiderable towards the situation of minorities in the ME.

It has nothing to do with minorities or majorities. Under your scenario, Italians, particularly Romans, would have more claim to Roman artifacts found anywhere in the world than the country in which they were found.

It has nothing to do with minorities or majorities. Under your scenario, Italians, particularly Romans, would have more claim to Roman artifacts found anywhere in the world than the country in which they were found.

Yes, the Italians would have more claim to them IMO. There are Roman ruins in Caesaria, Israel. I wouldn't mind it at all if they were all transported back to Rome.

Yes, the Italians would have more claim to them IMO. There are Roman ruins in Caesaria, Israel. I wouldn't mind it at all if they were all transported back to Rome.

Ditto. But, let's be practical, as well. Moving ancient buildings or monuments is much less practical than moving manuscripts.

There is no reason for Arab Muslims to have an interest in ancient Hebrew manuscripts. Just as there would be no good reason for Israelis to have an interest in ancient Arabic writings. And in a land which is, at best, shared between two peoples -- each people should have guardianship over their own cultural history.

Why anyone would argue against that is beyond me. And lets be honest here, Muslims don't exactly have a great history of respecting the monuments of other religious faiths.

Ditto. But, let's be practical, as well. Moving ancient buildings or monuments is much less practical than moving manuscripts.

There is no reason for Arab Muslims to have an interest in ancient Hebrew manuscripts. Just as there would be no good reason for Israelis to have an interest in ancient Arabic writings. And in a land which is, at best, shared between two peoples -- each people should have guardianship over their own cultural history.

Why anyone would argue against that is beyond me. And lets be honest here, Muslims don't exactly have a great history of respecting the monuments of other religious faiths.
Few people, especially, historians and academics would condone your extreme commitment to racist appropriation of historical artifacts. Arabs in Morocco do not have any right to claim ownership of the Alhambra which is in Granada and that Spanish city is where it stays despite hooligan vandalism by visitors since the glories of Al Andaluz. It is true that documents are more portable than glazed tiles but the removal of the Dead Sea Scrolls from the location where they were created in the West Bank is theft by the Israelis who claim ownership on the grounds that Israelis are Jews by their constitution if not in reality. Whoever stole this world heritage belongs behind bars.

Few people, especially, historians and academics would condone your extreme commitment to racist appropriation of historical artifacts. Arabs in Morocco do not have any right to claim ownership of the Alhambra which is in Granada and that Spanish city is where it stays despite hooligan vandalism by visitors since the glories of Al Andaluz. It is true that documents are more portable than glazed tiles but the removal of the Dead Sea Scrolls from the location where they were created in the West Bank is theft by the Israelis who claim ownership on the grounds that Israelis are Jews by their constitution if not in reality. Whoever stole this world heritage belongs behind bars.

The whole point of the principle of the human right to safe-guarding cultural heritage is to distance them from the political domain and arbitrary political territorial boundaries.

Intellectual property and cultural heritage belongs to those who belong to that cultural heritage. The idea that cultural heritage belongs to whatever

Why the hell would Arab Muslims WANT to hold the cultural heritage of another cultural group? What is their motivation in doing so? And what possible negative consequences would arise from permitting the cultural group which created the heritage to hold it, study it, explain it, transfer it to their children, etc?

Your claim is so ridiculously kindergarten -- its in my sandbox, so its mine. It does seem to cement the idea that the Jewish people absolutely must, in any agreement, maintain and protect its cultural heritage. If your standard is that Israel must "own" all the physical territory in which any of the cultural heritage was discovered -- well then, so be it.

The whole point of the principle of the human right to safe-guarding cultural heritage is to distance them from the political domain and arbitrary political territorial boundaries.

Intellectual property and cultural heritage belongs to those who belong to that cultural heritage. The idea that cultural heritage belongs to whatever

Why the hell would Arab Muslims WANT to hold the cultural heritage of another cultural group? What is their motivation in doing so? And what possible negative consequences would arise from permitting the cultural group which created the heritage to hold it, study it, explain it, transfer it to their children, etc?

Your claim is so ridiculously kindergarten -- its in my sandbox, so its mine. It does seem to cement the idea that the Jewish people absolutely must, in any agreement, maintain and protect its cultural heritage. If your standard is that Israel must "own" all the physical territory in which any of the cultural heritage was discovered -- well then, so be it.
I am a bit tired of you refusing to deal with my supporting arguments.
Deal with my example of the Alhambra belonging in Spain along with other artifacts of Al Andaluz, not Arab Muslims in Iraq.

I am a bit tired of you refusing to deal with my supporting arguments.
Deal with my example of the Alhambra belonging in Spain along with other artifacts of Al Andaluz, not Arab Muslims in Iraq.

Your claim is that cultural heritage preferentially should be under the guardianship of the political entity currently in control of the territory in which the cultural heritage is found.

I'm pointing out that is a lame argument. I've also pointed out the difference between tangible heritage (buildings and monuments) and intangible heritage which is portable.

Why should the guardianship of cultural heritage be given to the owner of a piece of land, rather than to the people of the cultural heritage?

In the ME it has everything to do with minorities, this is a simple thing You don't seem to take in account looking through Your western eyes.
In Europe cultural borders are settled and clear, there's acceptance and pluralism. However not in the ME where physical borders change and tribal relations are still a major factor. When conflicts happen, and they do all the time, historical heritage of minorities is erased and people are forcefully converted.

You simply cannot compare the situation of Italy and Italians, where they banned new mosques, to the situation of Jews in their little piece of land in the ME, where they're clearly a minority.

But sure the keepers of the Roman culture should keep and present the most significant artifacts of their heritage. Not Germans, Russians or Jews.

Forum List

Back