CDZ Page Limit in order?

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
I have observed that over the last 8 months the board has evolved to the point where, for any topic, intelligent discussion ends somewhere near the bottom of the first page. Thereafter it's just streams of insults and personal attacks. Therefore I propose that admin limit each thread to one (1) page. When that limit is reached, shut it down.

I have observed that over the last 8 months the board has evolved to the point where, for any topic, intelligent discussion ends somewhere near the bottom of the first page. Thereafter it's just streams of insults and personal attacks. Therefore I propose that admin limit each thread to one (1) page. When that limit is reached, shut it down.

Why not limit the personal attacks and insults? Seriously! Well the main reason being that too many people come on here just for the personal attacks and insults, they don't care about politics much at all, and the forum would die. Essentially.

Speaking out against Israel'll getcha slapped down as well, might as well make it the first challenging comment.

May be it would make more sense to remove those posts which mainly consist of insults and personal attacks? There is a chance that a few trolls may lose interest in this forum though....

Last edited:

May be it would make more sense to remove those posts which mainly consist of insults and personal attacks? There is a chance that a few trolls may lose interest in this forum though....

I thought the mods were doing that already. And screw the trolls, the sooner they leave the better.

Quite often, pointing out that a post is stupid is the most logical and reasonable response possible.

Isn't this what the CDZ is for? And I agree with the statement above, there are many people online that simply go to message boards to crap on fellow human beings. They feel empowered because it is anonymous. Like someone at the back of a crowd of people throwing a sucker punch and then disappearing into the crowd because they have nothing else to offer.

Quite often, pointing out that a post is stupid is the most logical and reasonable response possible.

Well now, not many posters write a post knowing full well that it's stupid. Maybe some people actually do that to stir up a fight so they deliberately post something outrageous. Which to me earns them the Ignore button cuz I have no interest in engaging in a verbal pissing contest. Otherwise there's a difference between telling somebody their post is stupid and then insulting them or engaging in a personal attack against them or what they wrote, as opposed to pointing out where you disagree without the vitriol.

In any case, pointing out that a post is stupid isn't the most logical and reasonable response possible IMHO. Sometimes the most logical and reasonable reponse is no response at all.

Time to close this thread. I think this post will begin page 2.

If there is a one page limit, then someone can filibuster the thread, kind of like I did in posts 9 and 10.

I think the objective of fomenting intelligent debate/discussion is served best by parties to the conversation posting only remarks that strictly address the topic(s) of a thread. Real-time conversations are quite dynamic; however, when the sole mode of communication is writing, that participants to the discussion stay on-topic is essential.

Accordingly, I suggest removing posts that do not directly address the thread topic. USMB members have a very difficult time sticking to the thread topic. For example, countless are the threads about, say:
  • Donald Trump and in which members post remarks about myriad other individuals and things other than Donald Trump.
  • Democrats and in which members post remarks about, among other things, Republicans.
  • Net economic impact of "this or that" policy/approach and in which members remark on something other than the policy's net impact.
Only by strictly and vigilantly enforcing the on-topic requirement by deleting off-topic posts will members evolve the habit of either (1) creating a new thread when the idea they care to share is not fitting for the thread in which they would have posted it, or (2) just not post their off-topic remarks.

Alternatively, USMB can dispense with the rules (where they exist) that require one be on-topic.

BTW, this thread is probably better suited to the "Announcements and Feedback" section of the forum, rather than the CDZ.

Forum List

Back