CDZ A new curse phrase

p kirkes

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2006
NW Louisiana
In a recent California town hall meeting someone placed a curse on the congressman hosting the event because of his views on issues. The curse; "May you die in pain". Wow.... the ultimate sentence and the ultimate torture.

I like it, simple yet forceful.

In a recent California town hall meeting someone placed a curse on the congressman hosting the event because of his views on issues. The curse; "May you die in pain". Wow.... the ultimate sentence and the ultimate torture.

I like it, simple yet forceful.
I prefer: "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits." Ouch, that would HURT!!! LOL

FWIW, I suspect the "die in pain" curse is a variation on a curse once (still?) used as a means establishing accountability for witnesses' testimony in gypsy trials.
If you know or have [information related to matter under analysis at this trial], and you do not inform this Kris [court], may you die in horrible agony.
The "California" variation of the curse is no less pithy, of course.

Curses having the same theme as the ones above noted date at least to Shakespeare.
  • More direful hap betide that hated wretch,
    That makes us wretched by the death of thee
    -- Richard III
  • Now, the rotten diseases
    of the south, the guts-griping, ruptures, catarrhs,
    loads o' gravel i' the back, lethargies, cold
    palsies, raw eyes, dirt-rotten livers, wheezing
    lungs, bladders full of imposthume, sciaticas,
    limekilns i' the palm, incurable bone-ache, and the
    rivelled fee-simple of the tetter, take and take
    again such preposterous discoveries!
    -- Troillus and Cressida

(For seekers of curses, Theristies provides a veritable treasure trove of ideas. LOL)

One shouldn't be awestruck that The Bard includes such vile curses as those above. The man's tragedies and comedies are rife with insults of the sort popularized in 1970s and '80s Norman Lear sitcoms such as All in The Family, The Jeffersons, Maude, and Good Times. One can check for oneself by reading Shakespeare's works, but if one doesn't care to, trust my saying that the dude could "throw" insults like few others before or since.
  • I do desire we may be better strangers. (As You Like It)
  • You are not worth another word, else I'ld call you knave. (All's Well That Ends Well)
  • What’s the matter, you dissentious rogues,
    That, rubbing the poor itch of your opinion,
    Make yourselves scabs?
    -- Coriolanus

Forum List

Back