Page 47 and a strange fruit.

Ouch - is this woman about to get murdered?

15614613008_5a376977b4.jpg

No, they're friends.

15798155931_447b11953f.jpg

The chicken, happily for my sweet and sour this evening, didn't escape the ruddy big knife.

15798153361_ac8c78cfec.jpg

Micro business.
The lady in the hat is selling veggie and bits to earn a little money. These tiny businesses are very common here.

15614208919_0cd8274b43.jpg

Another is bread delivery. These guys buy bread from a baker, selling it by wandering round the villages and estates.

15801600012_aa7eacf010.jpg

These girls are a few of the senior year at a Muslim girls' school just outside BSD, Tangerang.

15614201969_761e29c169.jpg

Pay for water to wash my bike? Not when I can get it for free.
This guy must come from Yorkshire.

15848564851_01afab8293.jpg

Out shopping, so I bought another camera.
I did buy a very nice little Fujifilm waterproof camera, but the new Samsung S5 is better, so I hardly use it now.
Time to sell.
The big Fujifilm HS50 is a really sexy toy, and does a fantastic job, but I can't always carry it because of the size.
In fact, I've been having a lot of problems finding an alternative, until now.
I came across a little Olympus SZ31MR, with 16megapixals to play with, and a 24 times optical zoom.
It won't do what the big one will do, but it's a nice bridge between the two, and it's small enough to carry most of the time.
Hopefully, I can get the shots I've been missing of late.

images

images

Woman in front, son carries eggs

15889001031_a8c5e54ca5.jpg

15890341812_6635f79e4c.jpg

Selling

15888999211_d978d96247.jpg

I just like the shot - so did the dude.

15703494638_e016d398f8.jpg
r

Twelve years old, riding a motorbike without licence, helmet, insurance or anything else slightly legal.
If/when he gets squashed by a truck, the parents will say it was all the driver's fault.

15710462760_23624d508a.jpg

The fuel subsidy has been cut, so the cheapest fuel is now Rp8,500/l (50p or so).
This pump has the more expensive fuel, and a queue.

15897310032_36bd8878c0.jpg

15278231413_4c7a6e7dbf.jpg

This pump has the cheap stuff....

15898225335_f31ec89089.jpg

....and an attendant sitting down with nothing to do.

15872268626_cfd68f8612.jpg

I have to admit, I haven't kept up with the news on this one, but I do know some people are being given money t compensate for the increase.
I'm wondering if that might be in the form of vouchers, redeemable for the more expensive fuel.

One other note.
Last time fuel went up, there were signs everywhere, all explaining how the price of whatever was going up because of the fuel price rise - not a one so far this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hungry? No worries - KFC is here .... sort of.

15664794427_b32aa29066.jpg

15664554079_903b45c23f.jpg

Who's that guy on the logo of the food cart? Colonel Sander's illegitimate Indonesian son?? ;)

Can't be - no silly beard. :D
There are loads of stands like this here, all using KFC to sell their stuff, but burgers are far less popular as street food, so McD is safe at the moment.

Did you take all these pics ?

Yes - it's a hobby.
I use three cameras:
My Samsung S5 smartphone is really handy as I carry it all the time.
The new one (noted above) has a lot of useful features, and is easy to carry as it slots in a belt pouch.
The Fujifilm HS50 is big, bit it's fantastic for 'street bashing'. That long 42X optical zoom is great for candid shots.

It all started some years ago when someone asked me to post a photo of my new house. They were so interested in the village, they asked me to post more ... it went on from there.
Time I did something with this, so I'm looking at doing some freelance work for a newspaper. Press credentials came last week, so I'm hunting for interesting stories.

Did you take all these pics ?

Yes - it's a hobby.
I use three cameras:
My Samsung S5 smartphone is really handy as I carry it all the time.
The new one (noted above) has a lot of useful features, and is easy to carry as it slots in a belt pouch.
The Fujifilm HS50 is big, bit it's fantastic for 'street bashing'. That long 42X optical zoom is great for candid shots.

It all started some years ago when someone asked me to post a photo of my new house. They were so interested in the village, they asked me to post more ... it went on from there.
Time I did something with this, so I'm looking at doing some freelance work for a newspaper. Press credentials came last week, so I'm hunting for interesting stories.

Cool. Keep it up. I always enjoy seeing how people on the other side of the continent live their lives.

Cool. Keep it up. I always enjoy seeing how people on the other side of the continent live their lives.

Thanks.
I enjoy talking the snaps, meeting the people, and trying to get the hang of how different groups of Indonesians think.
I've just managed to get a weak link into the thoughts of the Prabowo camp; it's on and off, and information is sketchy at best, but I'm slowly getting the idea.
I tend to wander where foreigners (and most Indonesians) never go, so I manage shots of things the world hardly ever sees.
I don't edit, and I never try to gloss over anything - only depicting real life matters to me, regardless of any other consideration.
I'm trying to get a line into a couple of more interesting stories, but I'll have to wait and see if I can get anywhere with those.

Burgers aren't as popular as many foods, but a few make a living from selling them.

15910378881_514d2f5db4.jpg

15910380681_9c61917501.jpg

15292692693_b0d30f5beb.jpg

Eating properly is very important, and meals should not be missed, regardless of what you're doing.

15912369955_7caf51b451.jpg

Hows the tourism in Indonesia at the moment ?

Most tourists to Indonesia end up in Bali, but Lombok is getting a little more popular because it lacks the millions of bars that Bali has.
That's not anti alcohol, it just means tourists that want a nice quiet relax can do so without loads of drunks about.
Pretty much all the hotels on Lombok serve booze, just it isn't popular.
I went last summer - it's great.

Java sees a lot of tourist, many going to Jogjakarta and the temples as far as Wonosobo. I used to live in Wonosobo, very nice place.

Sadly, and with a level of truth, Indonesia has a bad rep with the tourists.
Most of the actual problems are related to people ripping tourists off, a sad truth, but it's not even close to as bad as the stories in the tourist bars in Chinatown, KL.
Jakarta is worth a few days, but no more, and it has to be planned ahead in order to get the venues right.

The government has just removed the visa on arrival fee for some countries, including Australia, so that should bring a few extra people.
The ASEAN agreement will also bring a lot, as freedom of travel (EU style) will make life easy for tourists.

As for tourist numbers, I'd have to google.

Forum List

Back