Pa. judge upholds sale of widow's home over $6 tax bill

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

A Pennsylvania county judge has again ruled against a widow who lost her home because of an unpaid $6.30 interest charge for paying her school taxes late.

Beaver County Common Pleas Judge Gus Kwidis ruled that Eileen Battisti, of Aliquippa, was properly notified about the September 2011 tax sale of her home, which was valued at about $280,000 and sold at auction for $116,000. The decision last Tuesday followed an evidentiary hearing ordered by a higher court, which last April overturned his earlier ruling upholding the sale.

Flippin ridiculous. Come on. 6 bucks, they auctioned her 280,000 dollars home for 116,000 dollars over a 6 dollar bill?

Yeah cause it's not like she didn't get a dozen notices about the situation.

And?

Does that make the sale justified? The idea that the government can simply sell your home for half its value because you owe a tax bill that is 1/50,000 of its value seems rather silly. That can amount to an accounting error. Perhaps she didn’t see the notices or was dealing with something else at the time.

Something about this just seems wrong…

Yes it is justified. She had plenty of time to pay the bill. She chose to ignore it. What is silly is losing your home over a five spot.

Seems crazy, although the story goes on to say that she now owes more than $20K in taxes.

If the foreclosure went forward strictly based on the $6 bucks owed, I can sure see the outrage.

Rules are rules, right Beaver County ?

BEAVER, Pa. - A widow was given ample notice before her $280,000 house was sold at a tax auction three years ago over $6.30 in unpaid interest, a Pennsylvania judge has ruled.

The decision last week turned down Eileen Battisti's request to reverse the September 2011 sale of her home outside Aliquippa in western Pennsylvania.

"I paid everything, and didn't know about the $6.30," Battisti said. "For the house to be sold just because of $6.30 is crazy."

.... Battisti said her husband handled the paperwork for the property's taxes before he passed away in 2004.

"It's bad - she had some hard times, I guess her husband kind of took care of a lot of that stuff," Askar said. "It seemed that she was having a hard time coping with the loss of her husband - that just made it set in a little more."

------Story..........................................

Blind justice. :mad:

Meanwhile, the US government itself owes umpteen-trillion-and-counting to hostile foreign governments, and yet it can take our homes any time it wants because of the power of eminent domain.

What a crock.

"There is no doubt that (she) had actual receipt of the notification of the tax upset sale on July 7, 2011, and Aug. 16, 2011," the judge wrote. "Moreover, on Aug. 12, 2011, a notice of sale was sent by first class mail and was not returned."
I find it awkward that she would just disregard the notification for the sale of her home?:eusa_eh:

Losing a home for 6 bucks is absurd. Someone working at the county tax claim bureau should have stepped in and simply pitched in the 6 bucks. I would not be able to live with my conscience if I were the county tax claim worker that was responsible for allowing the sale of Miss Battisti's home for a measly 6 bucks. I'd have called her up on the phone, or if I were not able to get through to her because she was on vacation or something, I'd have paid the 6 bucks out of my pocket.

Yeah cause it's not like she didn't get a dozen notices about the situation.

I don't know about notices the article says:

In April 2013, the court ordered a new hearing, saying Battisti had been denied due process.

It goes onto say she was beset with many horrible things in a short period of time, the death of her husband, the murder of her sons best friend, and injuries related to an accident of some sort for herself and her daughter. The injury to the homeowner resulted in her not being able to work for some time.

So she may have gotten notices, she may have been overwhelmed with other things going on I don't know.

Seems crazy, although the story goes on to say that she now owes more than $20K in taxes.

If the foreclosure went forward strictly based on the $6 bucks owed, I can sure see the outrage.

Rules are rules, right Beaver County ?

It was only for 6 dollars plus late fees and penalties, she owed 234.72 when they sold her home.

When her home was sold, the Tax Claim Bureau of Beaver County said she was delinquent $234.72.

Yes it is justified. She had plenty of time to pay the bill. She chose to ignore it. What is silly is losing your home over a five spot.

or she never opens her mail.

They should have to get her in court - appearing before a judge in person - before such confiscation.

A letter does not mean that she knew anything and the sale of a property for taxes 1/50,000th of the value is utterly asinine. they should have repossessed her couch and sold that.

They should have to get her in court - appearing before a judge in person - before such confiscation.

A letter does not mean that she knew anything and the sale of a property for taxes 1/50,000th of the value is utterly asinine. they should have repossessed her couch and sold that.

The guy who bought her home at auction has offered to sell it back to her.

For 260,000 dollars. :mad: He won't even offer it to her for the amount he paid, 116,000, Asshole.

Widow Loses House Over $6.30 Tax Bill - Forbes

It's simple to see what happened here.

The essential facts on tax payments made for the tax years 2008 and 2009 are not in dispute.2 In March of 2009, the Central Valley School District notified the Tax Claim Bureau of an unpaid school tax on the Property in the amount of $833.88 plus a $42.01 penalty. A $15.00 entry fee was added to that amount by the Tax Claim Bureau for a total of $890.89. On April 1, 2009, interest for one month in the amount of $6.30 was added, which brought the total claim for the Property's 2008 school taxes to $897.19. On May 1, 2009, another $6.30 interest charge was added, raising the total to $903.49. On May 7, 2009, the Tax Claim Bureau received a payment from Taxpayer in the amount of $897.19. The Tax Claim Bureau credited that amount to the Taxpayer's account, leaving a remaining balance of $6.30 owing for the interest added when she did not pay by May 1, 2009.

On June 3, 2009, the Tax Claim Bureau sent Taxpayer a “notice of return and claim” that identified 2008 delinquent taxes in the amount of $6.30, plus postage and costs for a total of $28.25. The notice was returned to the Tax Claim Bureau as unclaimed. It is not clear if this notice functioned as a receipt or an invoice. No further notices, apparently, were sent to Taxpayer.

In April of 2010, Beaver County and Central Valley School District notified the Tax Claim Bureau of 2009 unpaid taxes on the Property. The unpaid Beaver County tax was $1,184.37 and a $118.44 penalty; the unpaid Central Valley School District tax was $2,324 and a $116.09 penalty. On June 3, 2010, the Tax Claim Bureau notified Taxpayer that she owed $3,832.71 for her 2009 real estate taxes, including interest and costs. On July 2, 2010, the Tax Claim Bureau sent a certified notice to Taxpayer that added interest, raising the total to $3,990.03. On September 11, 2010, the Tax Claim Bureau received a check from Taxpayer in the amount of $3,990.03, and it was applied to Taxpayer's 2009 county and school taxes.

There remained an unpaid balance of $234.72 for the 2008 school taxes. This amount was based upon the $6.30 interest imposed when the tax payment was six days late and then grew with accruing interest and costs. On September 12, 2011, Taxpayer's Property was sold at an upset tax sale for collection of the unpaid balance of $234.72 owing on Taxpayer's 2008 school taxes.

BATTISTI v. TAX CLAIM BUREAU OF BEAVER COUNTY, No. 1079 C.D.2012., August 19, 2013 - PA Commonwealth Court | FindLaw

Simply put, she paid her 2008 school taxes late, resulting in the 6 dollar late fee. Then she got her 2009 taxes, which she again paid late, the county sent her A bill for late fees and penalties. She paid that in full. She assumed her taxes were paid in full with her 2009 payment in full, meaning the country should have billed her the FULL amount due in 2009, not withholding any tiny 6 dollar amount from 2008.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9018091 said:

For 260,000 dollars. :mad: He won't even offer it to her for the amount he paid, 116,000, Asshole.

He offered to sell it at the value of the property. Nothing wrong with that.

CaféAuLait;9018091 said:

He offered to sell it at the value of the property. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, please. Humanity is lost. This woman lost her husband to death and was left with 3 children to raise alone. Her sons best friend was murdered , she and her daughter were in a bad accident, and she was out out work for sometime due to the injury. All under a 4 year period.

The man paid 116,000, so yeah there is something wrong with that, he is a greedy asshole, period. She is supposed to get 109,000, back at least he could have a heart and ask what he paid and if he really needed his interest that would be fair as well.

It makes no sense at all she paid her 2009 ( due in 2010) taxes and did not bother to add in the 6 dollars still owed from 2008. It was obvious she did not know she owed still for 2008 ( due in 2009) when paying the 2009 (due in 2010) taxes in full.

Why didn't the county add the 6 dollar past due amount to her 2009 taxes?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back