Over the cliff: Durable goods orders drop 13.2% in August POSTED AT 8:39 AM ON SEPTEM

Still no talking points?

Some of us actually read the economic statistics rather than quote blogs written by people with no understanding of the material quoting news articles which have garbled the facts.

You have to be economically ignorant to not know durable goods reports are highly variable month to month.

Last edited:
Still no talking points?

Some of us actually read the economic statistics rather than quote blogs written by people with no inderstanding of the material quoting news articles which have garbled the facts.

You have to be economically ignorant to not know durable goods reports are highly variable month to month.

But he just got a new subscription to a quarterly newsletter from the free publication office of the Fed govt.

Still no talking points?

Some of us actually read the economic statistics rather than quote blogs written by people with no understanding of the material quoting news articles which have garbled the facts.

What blog did I quote? What a dumb ass, I have read many stories on this mostly by economist. Sorry, if the facts don't fit your agenda.

The expectation was a seasonally adjusted down turn of 5.3%, however most economist, are staying the 13.2 was unexpected. Spin it all you want, this is not good news. Nice try to minimize it.

The original story came from this site.
http://www.census.gov/manufacturing/m3/adv/pdf/durgd.pdf

What a dumb ass, I have read many stories on this mostly by economist. Sorry, if the facts don't fit your agenda.

The expectation was a seasonally adjusted down turn of 5.3%, however most economist, are staying the 13.2 was unexpected. Spin it all you want, this is not good news. Nice try to minimize it.

I'll cut the ad hominems and hope you will too. We'll see if anyone remembers this story in three months. Simple fact is you read and quoted an article that took a statistical blip and tried to make a story out of it. Aircraft sales which accounted for the shortfall are famous for this kind of volatility. If most economists found the 13.2% unexpected, they also (like the ones quoted in the article) realized it was not a huge deal.

And you are the one doing the spin, taking a minor statistic and ignoring the overall 8.1% increase in capital goods orders over 2011, which is a much broader measure of business investment. There are a lot more meaningful statistics out there you can use to make a valid point, why waste time on aircraft sales? Try employment as a percentage of non-institutional age 25--64 population or something.

Forum List

Back