More Good News for the Economy & Obama!

Aug 7, 2012
Looks like the economy is improving. :eusa_clap: More good news for Obama!

Rising Home Prices Brighten Economic Outlook
To be sure, real estate values aren’t soaring as they did during the housing boom, and the level of prices remains about 30% below their 2006 highs, according to S&P data. But you have to crawl before you can walk.

The news has to bring joy in the hallways of the Federal Reserve. That’s because rising home prices bring a hat trick of benefits to the economic outlook.

First and most obviously, rising prices indicate the housing market is in better balance. The supply of homes has shrunk considerably since the worst of the housing recession, while low rates and somewhat better job markets have lured in more buyers. A relatively low level of inventory coupled with rising demand will support greater homebuilding in the future, a plus for real gross domestic product.

I'm sure the millions and millions of unemployed, underemployed, and those who have become so disgusted they have just stopped looking for work might disagree.

as long as the money keeps rolling in for them, as the saying goes "they all is good"

wow one little statistic...nice....hey it only took 4 years, but the rest of the economy still sucks.....I want cheap gas, electricity and food......let me know when that happens

This is what I'm seeing in my area.. Homes that were worth $350,000 to $400,000 (average working mans home) in 2007 are now appraised online at $120,000 to $135,000 but sell on short sale or after foreclosure in the $65,000 to $85,000 range... if they need some moderate repairs I've seen them down around $45,000 to $55,000.

I find these higher appraisals online or otherwise very suspicious..

Last edited:
  • Banned
This is what I'm seeing in my area.. Home that were worth $350,000 to $400,000 (average working mans home) in 2007 are now appraised online at $120,000 to $135,000 but sell on short sale or after foreclosure in the $65,000 to $85,000 range... if they need some moderate repairs I've seen them down around $45,000 to $55,000.

There is a housing boom starting in my area and the housing market improving significantly effects gdp and the economy. It is another indicator things are gradually improving. It isn't tiny.

Rising Home Prices offer Hope for Obama on the Economy

A new report showing home prices rising in 20 U.S. cities gave a boost to President Obama’s reelection chances on Tuesday.

The data amplified other reports that suggest the long-awaited recovery in the housing market is emerging six weeks before Election Day, and arrived alongside other encouraging news about increased consumer confidence and spending.

The signs of a turnaround in housing are coming at a fortuitous time for President Obama, who is running for reelection in a campaign dominated by concerns about his management of the economy.

“You probably have a somewhat more positive picture going into the election than people might have been thinking, say, two months ago,” Dean Baker, the co-founder of the liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research, said Tuesday

Still, the news Tuesday offered several bright spots that suggest consumers are spending more and feeling more optimistic — a key for Obama, who is hoping voters will reelect him on the basis that things are slowly improving.

I'm sure the millions and millions of unemployed, underemployed, and those who have become so disgusted they have just stopped looking for work might disagree.

I will be soooo happy when I drop $72 bucks in my gas tank in the morning :eusa_clap:

$72.00 for 20 gallons of gas!!!! Are you freeking kidding me??? :omg:

Last edited:
dear lords, desperation grows at an outstanding rate.

No kidding---:badgrin::badgrin:

August 2012 jobs report HORRIBLE--Employment in this country hits a 30 year LOW.
August jobs report: hiring down, unemployment falls - Sep. 7, 2012

Medium household incomes have dropped $4000.00 since Obama took office.
Obama's Accelerating Downward Spiral For America - Forbes

46 million Americans are on food stamps.
SNAP/Food Stamp Participation « Food Research & Action Center

One in six families now living beneath the poverty level.
Almost 1 in 6 Americans living below poverty line - Americas - World - The Independent

16 trillion in red ink with another 5 trillion to be added to this tab just in interest over the next decade.
National debt: Washington's $5 trillion interest bill - Mar. 5, 2012

23 Million Americans either unemployed or underemployed.
Unemployment rate drops, but are people looking? | HLNtv.com

And what does our "community organizer" have to say about his record.

Doing-Just-Fine.jpg

"Barack Obama is the greatest HOAX ever perpetrated on the American population"--Clint Eastwood

To be sure, real estate values aren’t soaring as they did during the housing boom, and the level of prices remains about 30% below their 2006 highs, according to S&P data. But you have to crawl before you can walk.

The news has to bring joy in the hallways of the Federal Reserve. That’s because rising home prices bring a hat trick of benefits to the economic outlook.

First and most obviously, rising prices indicate the housing market is in better balance. The supply of homes has shrunk considerably since the worst of the housing recession, while low rates and somewhat better job markets have lured in more buyers. A relatively low level of inventory coupled with rising demand will support greater homebuilding in the future, a plus for real gross domestic product.

Look, I'm supporting Obama, but the signs are that the economy is starting to slow down again. The problem is that cutting taxes more isn't going to change any of this. American business is already sitting on $2 trillion to $3 trillion. Any economic growth is going to have to come from the bottom up in the form of greater demand for products and services, because these companies aren't voluntarily looking to expand. We set the tax code in such a way that it is easy for business to sit on all this money; that is the problem.

I will be soooo happy when I drop $72 bucks in my gas tank in the morning :eusa_clap:

$72.00 for 20 gallons of gas!!!! Are you freeking kidding me??? :omg:

When are you coming out this way? Gas is cheap-er here. Unfortunately the president has almost nothing to do with gas prices. They depend on OPEC setting prices and speculators to a huge extent. Demand also affects prices regionally and the fact that prices are higher is in a way a good indication that people are driving more because they are doing a little better overall financially, thus increasing demand. Also, pipeline leaks which are relatively common, can cause increases in prices.

The gas market fluctuates frequently, as any driver knows. The reasons for these fluctuations are complex, as they involve everything from high demand during the holidays to the need for cleaner burning (and more expensive) summer-grade fuel, mandated by regulation. Natural disasters, adverse weather and conflicts such as war in an oil-producing region can also bring up the price of gasoline.

Also affecting price is the fact that supply and demand can be manipulated by an entity such as OPEC (the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) whenever it feels the need to tighten world supply. To do this, OPEC will simply slow down its production levels to help maintain the global crude oil price they want. Naturally, of course, when the crude oil market, especially the large chunk of it controlled by OPEC, chokes off its output, the price will rise at the pump not too long thereafter.

LINK

...so central is the occupant of the White House to the perceived state of the nation. Good news or bad news, foreign or domestic, the President gets the credit — and he gets the blame, whether he actually deserves either.

That goes for one of the most importantly economic indicators — psychologically at least — that’s out there: gas prices. A gallon of gas now costs an average of $3.53, already up 25¢ from the beginning of the year, and the highest price it’s even been at this time of the year. (Gas prices are usually lower in the winter, when the cold weather and lack of holidays curtails some driving.) With the U.S. economy strengthening — driving up demand for gasoline, and price as well — and the situation in Iran and the rest of the oil-producing Middle East looking uncertain, analysts believes gas could be well over $4 a gallon by the prime driving months of the summer.

You can bet that gas prices will be a major campaign issue during the 2012 presidential election, just as they were in 2008 — better known as the summer of “drill, baby, drill.” Republican candidate Newt Gingrich — who wants to “drill here, drill now” — has been promising that he could bring gasoline to $2.50 a gallon or less if he takes office, while the other candidates are concentrating their fire at President Obama, blaming his policies for the pain at the pump. But does a President really have that much control over how much it costs for you to fill your car?

(MORE: Why Michele Bachmann’s $2-a-Gallon Promise Is a Fantasy)

The short answer is: not really. One way to understand that is to look at how gas prices have fared under President Obama. When he entered office in January 2009, gas cost $1.81 a gallon. Now it’s nearly $2 a gallon higher, an increase of 95%. That sounds bad, but the main reason gas had become so cheap at the start of the Obama Administration was that he was took office during the heart of the worst global recession since the Great Depression. Recession depress economic demand, and when demand is depressed, fewer people drive — which in turns leads the price of gas to fall like any other commodity would when demand falls. As the economy recovered and economic activity picked up — both in the U.S. and elsewhere — the price of gas rose as well. If future President Gingrich were to somehow be able to deliver $2.50-a-gallon gas, it would probably mean the economy had tanked again.

LINK

Last edited:
This is what I'm seeing in my area.. Home that were worth $350,000 to $400,000 (average working mans home) in 2007 are now appraised online at $120,000 to $135,000 but sell on short sale or after foreclosure in the $65,000 to $85,000 range... if they need some moderate repairs I've seen them down around $45,000 to $55,000.

There is a housing boom starting in my area and the housing market improving significantly effects gdp and the economy. It is another indicator things are gradually improving. It isn't tiny.

Rising Home Prices offer Hope for Obama on the Economy

A new report showing home prices rising in 20 U.S. cities gave a boost to President Obama’s reelection chances on Tuesday.

The data amplified other reports that suggest the long-awaited recovery in the housing market is emerging six weeks before Election Day, and arrived alongside other encouraging news about increased consumer confidence and spending.

The signs of a turnaround in housing are coming at a fortuitous time for President Obama, who is running for reelection in a campaign dominated by concerns about his management of the economy.

“You probably have a somewhat more positive picture going into the election than people might have been thinking, say, two months ago,” Dean Baker, the co-founder of the liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research, said Tuesday

Still, the news Tuesday offered several bright spots that suggest consumers are spending more and feeling more optimistic — a key for Obama, who is hoping voters will reelect him on the basis that things are slowly improving.
Rube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS879r7xeLc]Operation Screw: The Fed goes all-in on QE - YouTube[/ame]

When are you coming out this way? Gas is cheap-er here. Unfortunately the president has almost nothing to do with gas prices. They depend on OPEC setting prices and speculators to a huge extent. Demand also affects prices regionally and the fact that prices are higher is in a way a good indication that people are driving more because they are doing a little better overall financially, thus increasing demand. Also, pipeline leaks which are relatively common, can cause increases in prices.

The gas market fluctuates frequently, as any driver knows. The reasons for these fluctuations are complex, as they involve everything from high demand during the holidays to the need for cleaner burning (and more expensive) summer-grade fuel, mandated by regulation. Natural disasters, adverse weather and conflicts such as war in an oil-producing region can also bring up the price of gasoline.

Also affecting price is the fact that supply and demand can be manipulated by an entity such as OPEC (the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) whenever it feels the need to tighten world supply. To do this, OPEC will simply slow down its production levels to help maintain the global crude oil price they want. Naturally, of course, when the crude oil market, especially the large chunk of it controlled by OPEC, chokes off its output, the price will rise at the pump not too long thereafter.

LINK

...so central is the occupant of the White House to the perceived state of the nation. Good news or bad news, foreign or domestic, the President gets the credit — and he gets the blame, whether he actually deserves either.

That goes for one of the most importantly economic indicators — psychologically at least — that’s out there: gas prices. A gallon of gas now costs an average of $3.53, already up 25¢ from the beginning of the year, and the highest price it’s even been at this time of the year. (Gas prices are usually lower in the winter, when the cold weather and lack of holidays curtails some driving.) With the U.S. economy strengthening — driving up demand for gasoline, and price as well — and the situation in Iran and the rest of the oil-producing Middle East looking uncertain, analysts believes gas could be well over $4 a gallon by the prime driving months of the summer.

You can bet that gas prices will be a major campaign issue during the 2012 presidential election, just as they were in 2008 — better known as the summer of “drill, baby, drill.” Republican candidate Newt Gingrich — who wants to “drill here, drill now” — has been promising that he could bring gasoline to $2.50 a gallon or less if he takes office, while the other candidates are concentrating their fire at President Obama, blaming his policies for the pain at the pump. But does a President really have that much control over how much it costs for you to fill your car?
(MORE: Why Michele Bachmann’s $2-a-Gallon Promise Is a Fantasy)

The short answer is: not really. One way to understand that is to look at how gas prices have fared under President Obama. When he entered office in January 2009, gas cost $1.81 a gallon. Now it’s nearly $2 a gallon higher, an increase of 95%. That sounds bad, but the main reason gas had become so cheap at the start of the Obama Administration was that he was took office during the heart of the worst global recession since the Great Depression. Recession depress economic demand, and when demand is depressed, fewer people drive — which in turns leads the price of gas to fall like any other commodity would when demand falls. As the economy recovered and economic activity picked up — both in the U.S. and elsewhere — the price of gas rose as well. If future President Gingrich were to somehow be able to deliver $2.50-a-gallon gas, it would probably mean the economy had tanked again.

LINK

Why ya got to go and pop my pretty red ballon? :D

I hope to come visit this winter... time will tell.

Look, I'm supporting Obama, but the signs are that the economy is starting to slow down again. The problem is that cutting taxes more isn't going to change any of this. American business is already sitting on $2 trillion to $3 trillion. Any economic growth is going to have to come from the bottom up in the form of greater demand for products and services, because these companies aren't voluntarily looking to expand. We set the tax code in such a way that it is easy for business to sit on all this money; that is the problem.

Sounds like a problem for Congress to figure out and fix. How is it easy for business to sit on all this money exactly? I think it is a misnomer myself because if businesses want growth and see demand, they will invest and grow jobs to meet that demand and make more money. It's all about the bottom line and if there is enough demand, profits will override any extra tax they might have to pay. It's really somewhat of a viscious circle because without high demand, there is really no expansion or the need to do so. Unemployment is a factor in low demand but it isn't the only one by any means.

I don't think the economy is where it should be but I also realize that no president is going to affect it dramatically one way or the other. It is a very complicated set of circumstances and entities that create or deter growth. Global recessions like we've had are of profound effect on our economies which the US has no control over as one example.

Here is the way I look at it. If the economy were the only issue facing this country, I might take a serious look at the republican candidate. But it isn't. For me anyway, social issues and women's rights, entitlements (not handouts) are just as important for me at my age (65) and I have granddaughters (women's rights). I also have a disabled son who is on SSI disability and Medicare so those are things I care about and find Obama to be more likely to protect and do the right thing from those perspectives. When I was 25-50 yrs old I voted more for republicans than dems because I was a long way from worrying about or needing these things for myself and my then non-existent grandkids.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back