Over half of America’s beaches are covered in poop and unsafe to swim in

RhodyPatriot

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2022
Just another sign of America's inexorable decline.

More than half of the nation’s beaches are contaminated with poop and sewage making their waters unsafe to swim in, according to a shocking report by Environment America.

The group found 55% of more than 3,100 beaches it tested in 2022 had at least one day where “fecal contamination” reached potentially unsafe levels, surpassing the Environmental Protection Agency’s benchmark for beach advisories and closures.

Even more disgusting, American shores are polluted with human and animal waste, dumped into the ocean from sewage overflows, factory farms and industrial livestock operations.

Here's to hoping this story is completely full of shit.

Just another sign of America's inexorable decline.

Here's to hoping this story is completely full of shit.
Contaminated 1 day or more, eh? I'm glad I wasn't there that day.

Contaminated 1 day or more, eh? I'm glad I wasn't there that day.

What does that even mean?

You think the feces and sewage just magically dissipates into thin air on other days?

You think every single beach was just "one day", because the law of averages has ceased to exist?

And, Katie bar the door (as the older folks say), you think this is permissible in the good ole' USA?

I'd like to believe your impenetrable ambiguity is the intended result of some opaque wisdom your disbursing down to us mere mortals, but in all likelihood it's actually just as stupid as it seems.

PoolPoop1.jpg

What does that even mean?

You think the feces and sewage just magically dissipates into thin air on other days?

You think every single beach was just "one day", because the law of averages has ceased to exist?

And, Katie bar the door (as the older folks say), you think this is permissible in the good ole' USA?

I'd like to believe your impenetrable ambiguity is the intended result of some opaque wisdom your disbursing down to us mere mortals, but in all likelihood it's actually just as stupid as it seems.
The report's terminology and statement. Beaches do in fact change, especially after heavy rains. The article did not say people were swimming in sh#t at those beaches even most of the time. I frequent a place called Cape San Blas. Water quality is usually pretty good. While down there, I have heard of other beaches that were not good, but there were updates. Water does not stay in one place, up and down coastlines. That report you linked did not excite me.

The report's terminology and statement. Beaches do in fact change, especially after heavy rains. The article did not say people were swimming in sh#t at those beaches even most of the time. I frequent a place called Cape San Blas. Water quality is usually pretty good. While down there, I have heard of other beaches that were not good, but there were updates. Water does not stay in one place, up and down coastlines. That report you linked did not excite me.
Resources put into real foundation infrastructure instead of the wasted trillions we have spent, and we would live in a much cleaner nation environmentally with taming nature a little more. Instead, we have the crazy environmentalist whackos who have made us a lot poorer with insanity.

That report you linked did not excite me.

I'm sorry, next time I'll supply you with the requisite chocolate and flowers haha

On a serious note, these incidents to which you allude are becoming more and more ubiquitous with each passing year.

I've been in Rhode Island for 20 years now, and every summer there are more and more beach closings due to sewage contamination. And, according to the report, the East Coast is actually at the lowest contamination levels. (With only 48%, go team.)

But hey, keep your expectations low.

I'm sure that's always worked out for ya.

I'm sorry, next time I'll supply you with the requisite chocolate and flowers haha

On a serious note, these incidents to which you allude are becoming more and more ubiquitous with each passing year.

I've been in Rhode Island for 20 years now, and every summer there are more and more beach closings due to sewage contamination. And, according to the report, the East Coast is actually at the lowest contamination levels. (With only 48%, go team.)

But hey, keep your expectations low.

I'm sure that's always worked out for ya.
I usually make things work to my expectations or better.
The problem is local town, cities, farmers and local infrastructure, that is often not local infrastructure local to the beaches. You can think of the Mississippi River as America's sewer, dumping into the gulf, it's pollution spreading out and circulating with the gulf currents, so not unknown or surprising, there are days (even if nothing visible) certain beaches should be avoided. Many years ago, I used to swim at Biloxi and the water was brown. Well, Biloxi is closer to the main on contributing river, though not as close as New Orleans. Local governments do not like spending on infrastructure and avoid it as long as possible, as politicians do not want to commit funds and raise taxes and until a problem for a local city pops up, they aren't going to. Biden did a big infrastructure bill, which the Republicans voted againt, for the most part. The bill provide money in grants, low/no interest loans to states and local communities. Mostly what we are seeing is roads and bridges, as that is what the public looks for. Waste treatment is mostly out of sight.

Forum List

Back