Outta Here

You are arguing over semantics. Do you think that the term "Devil Dogs" was used as a term of endearment to the "Marine Corps".? No, it was used as a term of hatred and a slur against every "Marine" that killed a German in the trenches of WWI. But, the "Marines" being the hard-ass guys that they are, decided to use that term to imply that they were not to be trifled with.
In that context the term " Devil Dog " should be used by "Marine Corps." personnel only, anyone else using this term will not be able to comprehend what it is to be a "Marine".

Last edited:
You are arguing over semantics. Do you think that the term "Devil Dogs" was used as a term of endearment to the "Marine Corps".? No, it was used as a term of hatred and a slur against every "Marine" that killed a German in the trenches of WWI. But, the "Marines" being the hard-ass guys that they are, decided to use that term to imply that they were not to be trifled with.
In that context the term " Devil Dog " should be used by "Marine Corps." personnel only, anyone else using this term will not be able to comprehend what it is to be a "Marine".

I don't recall that anyone argued over the term "Devil Dog", and it was in fact I who introduced it. Far as I can see, there were no semantics involved, nor did the topic of who should and should not use the term come up.

Based on US Marine Corps history, the term "devil dog" was given as a sign of respect for the ferocity with which Marines fought, not a slur; which, coincidentally, makes more sense.

Jarhead is the one we turned around, for the reason I stated previously .... we EARNED the right to be called that and it STILL says "U S Marine."

I don't recall that anyone argued over the term "Devil Dog", and it was in fact I who introduced it. Far as I can see, there were no semantics involved, nor did the topic of who should and should not use the term come up.

Based on US Marine Corps history, the term "devil dog" was given as a sign of respect for the ferocity with which Marines fought, not a slur; which, coincidentally, makes more sense.

Jarhead is the one we turned around, for the reason I stated previously .... we EARNED the right to be called that and it STILL says "U S Marine."

What a jarhead!. :lol:

Is saying someone's acting like a ****** a bannable offense? I think this is one instance where context is important. For instance 'you're one of those ignorant ******* that make Black people look bad'

Addressing people by that term is unacceptable in any context.

And while we're at it, I'd also appreciate you curtailing your overuse of the word "****" when addressing females outside the flame zone. There IS actually a reason that forum is separate from the rest.

Thanks
:confused: Why would calling someone a ****** be a banable offense but calling someone a **** is not? This makes absolutely no sense as both words are equally offensive.

Is saying someone's acting like a ****** a bannable offense? I think this is one instance where context is important. For instance 'you're one of those ignorant ******* that make Black people look bad'

And while we're at it, I'd also appreciate you curtailing your overuse of the word "****" when addressing females outside the flame zone. There IS actually a reason that forum is separate from the rest.

Thanks
:confused: Why would calling someone a ****** be a banable offense but calling someone a **** is not? This makes absolutely no sense as both words are equally offensive.

My guess is one is a racial slur, and the other isn't...

I could be wrong, tho. It's happened before.

What a jarhead!. :lol:

I guess you missed the "not to be trifled with " part, huh?:eusa_eh:

:lol:

Thanks

Sexism is acceptable but racism isn't? Funny, that.

Sexism is acceptable but racism isn't? Funny, that.

Sexism? :eusa_eh: I'll go off on anyone that calls me that simply because I think it's vulgar.. But, sexism? Pfft. Guys can act like c*nts, too.

Thanks

This argument's already been had. Read the thread please.

There are a whopping 2 people who throw that term around here freely.

Step back and look at what kind of people they seem to be in general... That says it all, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks

I find the word "****" just as offensive, personally, and the one person that likes to overuse the word has been addressed to keep it in the flame zone.

People are acting like they pay no attention to reality. Again, out society makes "******" a worse word. I don't. I could care less about it one way or the other. I can however see the adverse impact allowing members to address each other by that name can have on this board so it ain't happening, end of story.

Gunny, do leathernecks prefer leatherneck or jarhead?

Either or. Jarhead was actually a demeaning term in reference to the "High-n-tight" haircut. We turned it to our own use.

Leatherneck is from the early 1800s when the stocks (collars) on Marine uniforms were made of leather. Some say to keep the head erect, others to protect against sword and knife cuts.

We also call each other "Devil Dogs", a name the Germans labeled Marines at the Battle of Belleau Wood in 1918 while we were kicking their asses.

They all say "Marine."

This Devil Dog story is most likely a myth, started by an American "journalist", Floyd Gibbons.
German Myth 13: Teufelshunde - Devil Dogs

.. Like many things on the Web and in history, this legend gets repeated over and over by many different people. But like many other things on the Web and in history, that doesn't mean it's true. One thing we can state with certainty is that very few accounts of this German "Devil Dogs" legend get the German right. Like many things on the Web and in history, this legend gets repeated over and over by many different people. But like many other things on the Web and in history, that doesn't mean it's true. One thing we can state with certainty is that very few accounts of this German "Devil Dogs" legend get the German right...

I try to not use words that show disrespect to anyone but it's nice to have freedoms,even on a private board,nice to be able to say things that may be politically incorrect without fear a moderator is going to ban you for stating your true views on subjects,imho,anyway.

i wonder if he will really leave?

I am certain of it. When he left Hannity, it was in a blaze of glory. One of the funniest posts about taking one's leave I have ever read.

And he never returned.*

The evidence I've seen suggests that he keeps to his word.

* By contrast, I once started a countdown at that other board to my last post. I changed the terms, but continued the countdown. Then, after saying "ciao," I returned for a couple of additional comments. (I had left the door open to doing that. I called it being an "emeritus.") And I soon found myself posting there regularly all over again. It took me two times of quitting that board for it to stick. Asgaardshill? Just the one. As I note, it looks like he's literally outta here for good. A shame, really. He's a very bright guy and funny, too.

i find it odd that someone with the writing skills this op has...would support any type of censorship..do you want to ban or burn books that contain the word ******....alas these are questions that will remain there...in the air...hanging...cause you just got a case of the ass and left.

i find it odd that someone with the writing skills this op has...would support any type of censorship..do you want to ban or burn books that contain the word ******....alas these are questions that will remain there...in the air...hanging...cause you just got a case of the ass and left.

Didn't the Je$$e Jack$on'$ of the Race Whore League try to Bury "******" Recently?...

Had a Cute Funeral and all...

Better Burn Huckleberry Finn FIRST!!

:)

peace...

Forum List

Back