Outsourcing

Let's not forget about the number of jobs that can be created in America through company expansion using capital that is made and saved by outsourcing.

Until I sold it two years ago, I owned a small business which dealt in awards (trophies, plaques etc) and specialty gifts. One of our products was a coffee mug which had a coating that allowed it to be imprinted with any image of the customer's choosing. I could purchase imported mugs for one dollar each or domestic mugs for exactly twice as much. One day I decided to make a small purchase of the domestic mugs, reasoning that there must be a quality difference to justify the doubled cost. When the mugs arrived, there was absolutely no difference except that the domestic was approx one-eight ounce heavier than the import. Whoopee. I put them on the shelf, stuck a couple of small American flags in them and put up a "Made in the USA" sign. All they did was gather dust. I finally sold them by taking the hit and marking them down to the same price as the imports.

Okay, it took a while, but here's my point:

You're all barking up the wrong tree. OCA, you and Menewa are both guilty of tunnel vision on this issue. Menewa (a flaming liberal who would make Jane Fonda blush) is just spouting the lib party line. But OCA, you know better. It is not the corporations who are the villain in outsourcing - it is the consumer. That's right - it's OCA, Kathianne, Menewa, West, FreeandFun, and of course, your's truly. WE are the cause of outsourcing. Every time we walk through the doors at Wal-Mart, or Sam's WE are outsourcing - NOT the corporations.

Blaming corporations for taking those actions necessary to stay in business is absolute bullshit. They outsource because the choice is either that, or go out of business. How many of us can go to our closet an find a "Made in America" label on the majority of our clothing? Look around your house - how much of what you see is made in this country by Americans? NOW tell me who is outsourcing.

Libs love to blame anyone but themselves for this country's problems. As conservatives, we need to accept responsibility for our actions.

There are three ways to stop outsourcing:

One: Cut the expenses of domestic corporations. That means cutting wages. And please - no idiotic diatribe by libs that we only have to cut the salary of the CEO.

Two: Each and every American has to make a conscious effort to avoid purchasing low cost imports in favor of more expensive American made products. Excuse me a minute while I hold up the "FAT CHANCE" sign.

Three: The government can impose tarrifs and import quotas. That, of course, would result in a global trade war.

Bottom line - times change and we have to change with them. If we're going to stay competitive in the future and reduce the loss of jobs to other nations, we'd better start doing something to improve our politically correct, feel-good about yourself mentality that is the centerpiece of liberal philosophy. We'd better be prepared to accept the harsh reality that our education system has been bastardized by liberals to the point that our young people are no longer equipped to compete with emerging nations such as India.

Picture our situation as a weight-lifting contest. If we can't pick up the bar, we have to work and train harder until we are successful. We can't win the contest just by bitching that the weight is too heavy.

Originally posted by menewa
The CEOs that have risked everything and that have struggled up the ladder are going to be much less likely to outsource because they know what it is like to be at the bottom.

Outsourcing is not about strengthening the American econmony, it is about enriching shareholders, plain and simple.

Outsourcing is the new form of slave labor. It even remains racist in nature, even if this is just by chance. If you notice, we only outsource to countries inhabited mainly by non-whites. Our companies then prey on the weak protections afforded their citizens. They utilize these weak protections to pay people slave wages and wreck the local environment at the same time.

And back here in the heartand, another man comes home and tells his wife and kids that the plant is closing down and opening up in Mexico where they can pay the people next to nothin'.

I don't know about you. But I grew up in the South, Alabama and North Carolina to be more precise. In both those states, the textile industry has been a way of life for generations. After NAFTA, small towns in both states that depended on the one, two or three major textile mills in their community have come to resemble ghost towns. They are rife with decay and unemployment. Things that lead to domestic violence and alcohol and drug abuse.

Maybe you need to get a grip on the reality of outsourcing and what it did and is doing to the blue collar worker, as well as what it is doing to the entire face of America.

The American employee needs retrain in areas where the United States excels. It may be tough but it's reality. Are you saying that it's too hard for Americans to adjust? " I lost my job so I guess I'll do drugs" ? This so-called slave labor is enabling individuals in other countries to prosper and I don't hear them complaining. The option to out-sourcing is foreign aid! Do we want the whole world on the US welfare system? At least these people are working for a living and creating markets at the same time.

Originally posted by menewa The CEOs that have risked everything and that have struggled up the ladder are going to be much less likely to outsource because they know what it is like to be at the bottom.

A lot of small companies "outsource". They hire companies overseas to mass produce products that are designed and develped here in the USA.

Originally posted by menewa Maybe you need to get a grip on the reality of outsourcing and what it did and is doing to the blue collar worker, as well as what it is doing to the entire face of America.

You still do not address the fact that SEVERAL overseas companies employ US "Blue Collar" workers. Should those companies also pull their jobs out of America and take them back to their countries? Address that if you will. Otherwise, you are just espousing the latest talking points of the left without really thinking about the FACTS!

Outsourcing is the new form of slave labor. It even remains racist in nature, even if this is just by chance. If you notice, we only outsource to countries inhabited mainly by non-whites. Our companies then prey on the weak protections afforded their citizens. They utilize these weak protections to pay people slave wages and wreck the local environment at the same time.
Tell that to the people beating down the doors of these call centers and other places who are making more than they ever could have before (isn't that what liberals like?).

Also, a lot of the standards they would enact are very unrealistic, could not be enforced, and goods would cost more because these countries would then lose their advantages.

Check out some of these links from a variety of sources, and they each have their own objections to fair trade:

http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2000/427/427p16.htm
http://www.freetrade.org/faqs/faqs.html
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2004/02/18/Opinion/fair-Trade.Just.A.Farce-610172.shtml

Here is the deal, when I call an American company such as Hewlett Packard with a problem I want to talk to an American or at least a Canadian instead of some fucking dot head named Ravi or Sulwat whom I can't understand one damn word they are saying. As of this very minute my problem has still not been solved and it is as simple as an erroneous charge on my MC for something that was agreed by HP to be under warranty. I'm not bitching about what American companies have the right to do but they should realize that their public relations are taking an ass kicking as far as customer service is concerned.

Originally posted by OCA
Here is the deal, when I call an American company such as Hewlett Packard with a problem I want to talk to an American or at least a Canadian instead of some fucking dot head named Ravi or Sulwat whom I can't understand one damn word they are saying. As of this very minute my problem has still not been solved and it is as simple as an erroneous charge on my MC for something that was agreed by HP to be under warranty. I'm not bitching about what American companies have the right to do but they should realize that their public relations are taking an ass kicking as far as customer service is concerned.

I agree and so you need to let your frustrations do the talking by writing a letter to HP and informing them that you will no longer buy their products since they outsource their CS.

Originally posted by OCA
Here is the deal, when I call an American company such as Hewlett Packard with a problem I want to talk to an American or at least a Canadian ....

Okay, agreed. I haven't researched this to provide a link, but I read a few weeks ago that some companies are reversing their outsourcing because of the very sentiments you expressed.

I recently purchased an HP digital camera. When I attempted to turn it on, all I got was the IR focus light and the display flashing on and off. After attempting to find a remedy in the instruction book without success, I called their help line. I experienced the same problem as you. After ten minutes of pushing this, pulling that and resetting the other, I was told to take the camera back and have it replaced because it was obviously a hardware malfunction.

Before putting the camera back in the box, I gave it one last diagnostic. Turns out that the batteries provided were rechargeable and needed a 15 hour charge to function. I went to the local store, bought four Everyreadys, stuck them in and the camera worked just fine.

Okay, I was a dumbass. But then I'm not paid to solve problems with the camera.

Soon you all won't have to worry about "outsourcing" because all that "cheap" labor will be right here in the U.S.

Originally posted by OCA

all that and you probably could have solved your problem by talking to one of us techs on the board.

seriously though, write a letter to them. business's did it and they brought back business tech support.

Finally someone thinking outside the box. You are surely enlightened to see the bigger picture.

A comment to add based on a thread I posted few days ago. The "outsourcing" happens also within USA if that's how I can put it. Americans are patronizing the illegal aliens here when they hire them for next to nothing as gardeners, nannies, housekepers etc. That won't help the employment situation here either. Should we blame the illegal aliens or the Americans who hire them?

Thank you

Originally posted by Merlin1047
Until I sold it two years ago, I owned a small business which dealt in awards (trophies, plaques etc) and specialty gifts. One of our products was a coffee mug which had a coating that allowed it to be imprinted with any image of the customer's choosing. I could purchase imported mugs for one dollar each or domestic mugs for exactly twice as much. One day I decided to make a small purchase of the domestic mugs, reasoning that there must be a quality difference to justify the doubled cost. When the mugs arrived, there was absolutely no difference except that the domestic was approx one-eight ounce heavier than the import. Whoopee. I put them on the shelf, stuck a couple of small American flags in them and put up a "Made in the USA" sign. All they did was gather dust. I finally sold them by taking the hit and marking them down to the same price as the imports.

Okay, it took a while, but here's my point:

You're all barking up the wrong tree. OCA, you and Menewa are both guilty of tunnel vision on this issue. Menewa (a flaming liberal who would make Jane Fonda blush) is just spouting the lib party line. But OCA, you know better. It is not the corporations who are the villain in outsourcing - it is the consumer. That's right - it's OCA, Kathianne, Menewa, West, FreeandFun, and of course, your's truly. WE are the cause of outsourcing. Every time we walk through the doors at Wal-Mart, or Sam's WE are outsourcing - NOT the corporations.

Blaming corporations for taking those actions necessary to stay in business is absolute bullshit. They outsource because the choice is either that, or go out of business. How many of us can go to our closet an find a "Made in America" label on the majority of our clothing? Look around your house - how much of what you see is made in this country by Americans? NOW tell me who is outsourcing.

Libs love to blame anyone but themselves for this country's problems. As conservatives, we need to accept responsibility for our actions.

There are three ways to stop outsourcing:

One: Cut the expenses of domestic corporations. That means cutting wages. And please - no idiotic diatribe by libs that we only have to cut the salary of the CEO.

Two: Each and every American has to make a conscious effort to avoid purchasing low cost imports in favor of more expensive American made products. Excuse me a minute while I hold up the "FAT CHANCE" sign.

Three: The government can impose tarrifs and import quotas. That, of course, would result in a global trade war.

Bottom line - times change and we have to change with them. If we're going to stay competitive in the future and reduce the loss of jobs to other nations, we'd better start doing something to improve our politically correct, feel-good about yourself mentality that is the centerpiece of liberal philosophy. We'd better be prepared to accept the harsh reality that our education system has been bastardized by liberals to the point that our young people are no longer equipped to compete with emerging nations such as India.

Picture our situation as a weight-lifting contest. If we can't pick up the bar, we have to work and train harder until we are successful. We can't win the contest just by bitching that the weight is too heavy.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
all that and you probably could have solved your problem by talking to one of us techs on the board.

seriously though, write a letter to them. business's did it and they brought back business tech support.
\

So you can credit back my MC?

Originally posted by OCA
\

So you can credit back my MC?

not legally. :laugh:

however, if they didn't fix your problem or provided lousy service, dispute the charge with your bank. If its under $50, usually the bank will eat the charge and then take it up with HP. You may not get anymore HP support because of it, but its most likely that they won't be able to solve issues for you in the future anyway.

Forum List

Back