Outrage Grows After Undocumented Father Arrested in Front of Daughter Near School

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

Welcome to Trump's America, ripping families apart to create fear.

Parents who break laws often get arrested in front of children, spouses and coworkers. That is how it works.

He had committed another serious crime, DUI, and didn't get away with it. It doesn't matter how long ago it was. I don't think the whole story is included since the article is clearly written in a way meant to elicit sympathy for illegals and hatred for Trump.

Do you feel sorry when other criminals are arrested in front of their children or do you only cry when it's someone here illegally?

The man made choices, knowing the consequences. It's all on him.

I had to post this story because I was unaware of it until I watched Bill O' tonight.

Over a dozen gang members were busted for various crimes including the brutal murder of two young American girls. What's striking about this is that 10 of the 13 are illegal immigrants. Even more stunning (at least according to the report on O'Reilly today) is that most of them had no criminal record.

I post this not only because of this discussion, but because our leftists contributor on this subject (Eloy) keeps repeating how this illegal immigrant father stayed out of trouble and therefore, his illegal status should be overlooked.

Had these lowlifes been deported simply because of their illegal status, two harmless American girls would still be alive today. Instead, they joined this El Salvadorian gang called MS 13, and participated in these murders and other crimes.

Eloy has also stressed the distress of this guys daughter crying when her father was arrested. So Eloy, how much do you think the parents of these two girls cried when authorities found this?

Mickens' brutally beaten body was found on a tree-lined street in Brentwood Sept. 13, a day before her 16th birthday. A day later, the beaten body of Cuevas, her lifelong friend, was discovered in the wooded backyard of a nearby home. Investigators had suspected the young girls -- best friends with a passion for basketball -- were victims of gang violence. Though several MS-13 gang members were previously arrested in connection with the probe, none had been charged with the killings until Thursday.

Capers said that four gang members had been looking for a rival gang member to attack or kill when they spotted the girls. They recognized Cuevas from a prior altercation with MS-13 members, called their "leader" and got approval to kill her and her friend, Capers said. The girls died by "swinging baseball bats and machetes," Capers said, adding Cuevas ran for her life.

NY Teens Hacked to Death With Machetes, Beaten by Bats: Docs

The UN said today that America belongs to the world and we have no right to limit access to our nation...thank God Trump won.

The UN said today that America belongs to the world and we have no right to limit access to our nation...thank God Trump won.

The U.N. was ready to work with Hillary and Soros to bring in one world order. Despite decades of libs denying there was such a plan, here we are with the rich and powerful trying to make it reality.

Of course, they think the entire world belongs to liberal tyrants and they are ready to control all of us.

The open borders crap has all but ruined some European countries. They might not recover from the invasion of hostile people.

I'm sorry to hear of your cousin's loss.
I do believe too many people are imprisoned for possessing marijuana. It should be decriminalized as in some other countries with no problems.

You are lying. Unless someone has a vast amount of marijuana in their possession, people do not serve prison time for simple possession. They are sent to drug court which originated in Miami Florida and now is active in all 50 states.

Drug Courts | National Institute of Justice
Generally, when someone calls me a liar I place them on my 'ignore' list but this one time I will give you a response.
You cited a document about Drug Courts as if they are a norm in all 50 states and that anyone who has a small amount of marijuana will go before a judge in such a court and will not be given a custodial sentence. You are not a liar, just mistaken.
Nothing in your citation suggests that anyone who is caught in possession of a small amount of marijuana will not serve prison time.

"According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana. Nationwide, the arrest data revealed one consistent trend: significant racial bias. Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana."
Marijuana Arrests by the Numbers

This is a total waste of police time and those arrested do not go before a drug court or any court sometimes for years waiting for their day in court in a local jail. "On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 people sit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges, according to a report released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch.

"Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails. The report says that most of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail." (emphasis mine)
Police arrest more people for marijuana use than for all violent crimes — combined
This article points-out that "police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined."

Your source is FOS. Jail is not prison. Any person that's arrested for pot will be out the next day by posting a bond.

Here is a realistic report from left-wing Pollifact:

Prisoner data

What the figures show is that possession itself isn’t usually enough to land someone in jail. Rather, those sentenced to prison for marijuana offenses were typically found to be committing crimes more serious than just possessing marijuana (or "smoking" it, as Sanders put it). Often, this means selling it or trafficking it.

The Justice Department estimated that 3.6 percent of state inmates in 2013 had drug possession as their most serious offense. That includes possession charges for all drugs, not just marijuana. To gauge the marijuana-only percentage, we have to go back to data that’s about a decade old.

The Justice Department periodically carries out surveys of inmates in state and federal correctional facilities, the last of which was from 2004. According to this study, only about three-tenths of 1 percent of state prison inmates were there because of marijuana possession alone, without a more serious charge.

Meanwhile, the statistics for federal inmates paint a similar picture.

The data shows that among the roughly 67,600 offenders sentenced to prison in federal criminal cases between Oct. 1, 2011 and Sept. 30, 2012, only 28 of them were incarcerated on drug-possession charges alone -- roughly four one-hundredths of 1 percent of all incarcerations. And that includes all drugs, not just marijuana.

Bernie Sanders says people are getting prison sentences for smoking marijuana
Although jail is not prison, it is still being behind bars and jails in some parts of America are hell-holes where unfortunate individuals, as I correctly quoted, languish because they cannot afford bail or a lawyer and this can go on for a year or more. There is an awful amount of injustice where people who are in jail make deals that find them in prison for years because the prosecutors are skilled at piling-on charges. Also, where there are states that have a three-strikes policy, merely possessing a small amount of marijuana can get a young fella life in god-forsaken prisons. We can be sure that in many cases the marijuana was planted by the cops themselves.

It's worth quoting from your own citation:
"Experts say different jurisdictions may have divergent standards and thresholds in charging defendants for marijuana possession. Some states even consider passing around a joint at a party to be considered "distributing," said Douglas Berman, an Ohio State University law professor.

In addition, the statistics we cited above do not include people sent temporarily to jail -- potentially a much larger population than those serving sentences prison. The jail population could include people who have violated probation for testing positive for marijuana, or for failing to pay a fine for marijuana possession, said Bill Piper, the director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance."

So, being picky in distinguishing prison from jail makes no difference in essence for both are depriving people of their freedom and both are awful.

The ICE website is not law. There is no U.S. law that refers to an illegal alien.
You called me a liar.

It is an accurate description of the person so they are not confused with an American citizen. Just as far left Progressive is an accurate description of you. What is the problem?
People who want this family torn apart like to portray themselves as caring about the law. They even use the term "illegal" alien. In American immigration law, however, there is no mention of illegal aliens. The term is inaccurate.

An undocumented or "illegal alien" is an alien who entered the United States illegally without the proper authorization and documents, or is an alien who once entered the United States legally and has since violated the terms of the status in which he entered the United States or has overstayed the time limits of his ...Mar 3, 2016
Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens - IRS.gov
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/.../immigration-terms-and-definitions-involving-aliens
Your link is gives the message: "Sorry, this page isn't available."
You might have meant an IRS information sheet which uses the term "illegal alien"
Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens
This is not a law and as I wrote before: There is no U.S. law that mentions "illegal alien".
Whether to use the terminology "illegal alien" has become a political rather than a correct legal use nowadays as right-wing anti-immigrant organizations such as the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) and The Heritage Foundation, insist on its use in preference to undocumented immigrant. Consequently, those who identify themselves as right-wing, anti-Hispanic, anti-immigrant, etc., will use the terminology "illegal alien" or "illegal immigrants" or for added condescension simply "illegals". In this way we all know where we stand.

The ICE website is not law. There is no U.S. law that refers to an illegal alien.
You called me a liar.

It is an accurate description of the person so they are not confused with an American citizen. Just as far left Progressive is an accurate description of you. What is the problem?
People who want this family torn apart like to portray themselves as caring about the law. They even use the term "illegal" alien. In American immigration law, however, there is no mention of illegal aliens. The term is inaccurate.

An undocumented or "illegal alien" is an alien who entered the United States illegally without the proper authorization and documents, or is an alien who once entered the United States legally and has since violated the terms of the status in which he entered the United States or has overstayed the time limits of his ...Mar 3, 2016
Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens - IRS.gov
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/.../immigration-terms-and-definitions-involving-aliens
Your link is gives the message: "Sorry, this page isn't available."
You might have meant an IRS information sheet which uses the term "illegal alien"
Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens
This is not a law and as I wrote before: There is no U.S. law that mentions "illegal alien".
Whether to use the terminology "illegal alien" has become a political rather than a correct legal use nowadays as right-wing anti-immigrant organizations such as the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) and The Heritage Foundation, insist on its use in preference to undocumented immigrant. Consequently, those who identify themselves as right-wing, anti-Hispanic, anti-immigrant, etc., will use the terminology "illegal alien" or "illegal immigrants" or for added condescension simply "illegals". In this way we all know where we stand.

It's right there on the IRS web site; the same IRS who denied conservative groups legal tax status. Therefore it is a legal and proper term used by our government.

Outrage Grows After Undocumented Father Arrested in Front of Daughter Near School

Are they outraged at the illegal-alien father, for putting his daughter in the position of losing her father through no fault of her own?

If not, why not? It is his fault, and no one else's.

He knew what he was getting into when he entered the country illegally. Why did he deliberately bring a child into the situation, and subject her to this?

I do believe too many people are imprisoned for possessing marijuana. It should be decriminalized as in some other countries with no problems.

You are lying. Unless someone has a vast amount of marijuana in their possession, people do not serve prison time for simple possession. They are sent to drug court which originated in Miami Florida and now is active in all 50 states.

Generally, when someone calls me a liar I place them on my 'ignore' list but this one time I will give you a response.
You cited a document about Drug Courts as if they are a norm in all 50 states and that anyone who has a small amount of marijuana will go before a judge in such a court and will not be given a custodial sentence. You are not a liar, just mistaken.
Nothing in your citation suggests that anyone who is caught in possession of a small amount of marijuana will not serve prison time.

"According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana. Nationwide, the arrest data revealed one consistent trend: significant racial bias. Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana."

This is a total waste of police time and those arrested do not go before a drug court or any court sometimes for years waiting for their day in court in a local jail. "On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 people sit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges, according to a report released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch.

"Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails. The report says that most of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail." (emphasis mine)
Police arrest more people for marijuana use than for all violent crimes — combined
This article points-out that "police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined."

Your source is FOS. Jail is not prison. Any person that's arrested for pot will be out the next day by posting a bond.

Here is a realistic report from left-wing Pollifact:

Prisoner data

What the figures show is that possession itself isn’t usually enough to land someone in jail. Rather, those sentenced to prison for marijuana offenses were typically found to be committing crimes more serious than just possessing marijuana (or "smoking" it, as Sanders put it). Often, this means selling it or trafficking it.

The Justice Department estimated that 3.6 percent of state inmates in 2013 had drug possession as their most serious offense. That includes possession charges for all drugs, not just marijuana. To gauge the marijuana-only percentage, we have to go back to data that’s about a decade old.

The Justice Department periodically carries out surveys of inmates in state and federal correctional facilities, the last of which was from 2004. According to this study, only about three-tenths of 1 percent of state prison inmates were there because of marijuana possession alone, without a more serious charge.

Meanwhile, the statistics for federal inmates paint a similar picture.

The data shows that among the roughly 67,600 offenders sentenced to prison in federal criminal cases between Oct. 1, 2011 and Sept. 30, 2012, only 28 of them were incarcerated on drug-possession charges alone -- roughly four one-hundredths of 1 percent of all incarcerations. And that includes all drugs, not just marijuana.

Bernie Sanders says people are getting prison sentences for smoking marijuana
Although jail is not prison, it is still being behind bars and jails in some parts of America are hell-holes where unfortunate individuals, as I correctly quoted, languish because they cannot afford bail or a lawyer and this can go on for a year or more. There is an awful amount of injustice where people who are in jail make deals that find them in prison for years because the prosecutors are skilled at piling-on charges. Also, where there are states that have a three-strikes policy, merely possessing a small amount of marijuana can get a young fella life in god-forsaken prisons. We can be sure that in many cases the marijuana was planted by the cops themselves.

It's worth quoting from your own citation:
"Experts say different jurisdictions may have divergent standards and thresholds in charging defendants for marijuana possession. Some states even consider passing around a joint at a party to be considered "distributing," said Douglas Berman, an Ohio State University law professor.

In addition, the statistics we cited above do not include people sent temporarily to jail -- potentially a much larger population than those serving sentences prison. The jail population could include people who have violated probation for testing positive for marijuana, or for failing to pay a fine for marijuana possession, said Bill Piper, the director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance."

So, being picky in distinguishing prison from jail makes no difference in essence for both are depriving people of their freedom and both are awful.

If you violate your probation for any reason, you don't go to city jail, you go back to prison.

In our country, anybody can get bonded out of jail by hiring a bail bondsman. They put the money up front to free you from jail and you pay 20% of what that bond was. If some joker got busted with a joint, the most they could charge him for bail is $350.00. Now if the schmuck doesn't have $350.00, he can hire a bail bondsman to get him out for the price of $70.00.

If it's any higher than that, as the article points out, it's because the suspect was caught in the action of committing other crimes. Charging him with possession is just an extra.

Technically, you can go to jail in our country for breaking any law. When we were young, I had a friend who went to jail for speeding on the highway. He was going 20 MPH over the speed limit, and the cop felt like arresting him.

But the truth is very few people go to prison for possession of pot unless it's an amount that's considered for sale, and in most cases, they simply write you a ticket to appear in court.

I never said a person was not arrested for possession of marijuana. It depends on the AMOUNT they are in possession of whether or not they will serve time as opposed to drug court.

Instead of 2010, please find current information with which to support your position. Separate the arrests for small, personal use and larger amounts called trafficking.

Last edited:

I never a person was not arrested for possession of marijuana. It depends on the AMOUNT they are in possession of whether or not they will serve time as opposed to drug court.

Instead of 2010, please find current information with which to support your position. Separate the arrests for small, personal use and larger amounts called trafficking.
Did you read that "police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined."?
It is a disgrace.

Did you read that "police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined."?

Why do you demand that children consume marijuana knowing that it alters the development of their brain?

Forum List

Back