Outdoor smoking bans

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
In some parts of the U.S., including Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Hawaii County, Minneapolis and Abilene, Texas, there are ordinances that prevent golfers from enjoying a smoke while on the course.

Earlier this year, park and recreation officials in Spokane, Wash., attempted to put a smoking ban on its four municipal golf courses, but an outcry from citizens forced the parks board to stay the decision.

"We had a policy in place at our parks, but after hearing from a group called 'Teen's against Smoking,' we decided to include golf courses," said Spokane parks and recreation spokesman Nancy Goodspeed, who earned a Masters degree from Penn State University in the mid-1980s. "When the board passed it in March, we heard it from everyone, even nonsmokers who felt their personal rights were being infringed. So, that's why the board backed off. We're going to look for more information and may address it at a later date."
At last year's U.S. Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego, the pro golfers were the only people permitted to smoke. :lol: San Diego has a no-smoking ordinance in place at parks, beaches and public golf courses.

I'm telling ya folks, if tabacco taxes weren't such a cash cow, it would already be outlawed entirely.

Mention of smoking ban fires up golfers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I'm telling ya folks, if tabacco taxes weren't such a cash cow, it would already be outlawed entirely.

Its a unhealthy and it lets off 2nd hand smoke that does anyone nearby no healthy favors! I'd prefer people for themselves just gave it up entirely and I already made adjustments to stay away from people while they smoke.

I don't smoke. Husband does. It's gross and the garage smells (he doesn't smoke in the house). And his car - dear God it's disgusting. Looks like and smells like an ashtray. Blech.

Having said all that -- I may think it's a gross habit and you may think it's a gross habit but wtf, who the hell is the government to say that we can't indulge in gross habits???

In some parts of the U.S., including Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Hawaii County, Minneapolis and Abilene, Texas, there are ordinances that prevent golfers from enjoying a smoke while on the course.

Earlier this year, park and recreation officials in Spokane, Wash., attempted to put a smoking ban on its four municipal golf courses, but an outcry from citizens forced the parks board to stay the decision.

"We had a policy in place at our parks, but after hearing from a group called 'Teen's against Smoking,' we decided to include golf courses," said Spokane parks and recreation spokesman Nancy Goodspeed, who earned a Masters degree from Penn State University in the mid-1980s. "When the board passed it in March, we heard it from everyone, even nonsmokers who felt their personal rights were being infringed. So, that's why the board backed off. We're going to look for more information and may address it at a later date."
At last year's U.S. Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego, the pro golfers were the only people permitted to smoke. :lol: San Diego has a no-smoking ordinance in place at parks, beaches and public golf courses.

Mention of smoking ban fires up golfers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Seriously... If people outlawed smoking, there would be another prohibition... If smoking is so bad and causing so many problems that is has to be a taken right, then why not just get the whole job done and outlaw booze again... along with all OTC drugs. I understand that it is bad for your health, and second had smoke is harmfull to non-smokers, but everything on earth is bad for you in excess use and has it's cons... Drinkers drive drunk and kill people, the same way second hand smoke kills. So why don't they try to make that ourlawed? It not a matter of money... It's a matter of rights. Honestly, do we want to make this country walking robots without any rights told what to eat and where to live too? Make smoking bans in resturants, even bars... But otherwise, just leave it alone already... We have bigger problems for fuck sake...

who the hell is the government to say that we can't indulge in gross habits???

Assault and battery is also a gross habit. It's not about telling people what gross things they can or cannot do to themselves, it's about preventing them from doing it to others.

What twilight zone episode do you live in? Assault and battery is a gross habit???

What are the smokers doing to others? They've already been branded with a big "S" on their shirt and made to smoke outdoors. Now uncle wants to control that too and you're ok with them doing just that. Insane.

Its a unhealthy and it lets off 2nd hand smoke that does anyone nearby no healthy favors! I'd prefer people for themselves just gave it up entirely and I already made adjustments to stay away from people while they smoke.

Still no proven evidence that second hand hurts anyone. None, zero, ziltch, only speculation and circumstantial.

Now, want to talk about stupid? Anti-smokers are now trying to claim that tobacco kills off 17% of the population every year ... do the math, with fewer smoking today, then we'd all be dead by now, not just smokers, everyone.

Smoking in State Parks has been outlawed here in Maine.

I don't want to have an allergy attack because someone is smoking near me. Smoke in your own home.

They also have banned gay sex in State Parks. Do that in your own home as well.

Still no proven evidence that second hand hurts anyone. None, zero, ziltch, only speculation and circumstantial.

Uh...come on over here and smoke in my presence if you want to have some fun watching someone sneeze uncontrollably.

Uh...come on over here and smoke in my presence if you want to have some fun watching someone sneeze uncontrollably.

So, my mother sneezes when you put a cat in front of her... Shoud we outlaw them too... Relax man, it's not like we don't have any respect for people that don't smoke... We try to do what we can to keep it to ourselves. Or at least I do.... Maybe other people are assholes about it...

Should the government outlaw wood burning and leaf burning as well? How about idyllic campfires/bonfires or the toasty wood-burning stoves that we love and/or fondly remember?

Food for thought:
While wood smoke is similar to second hand tobacco smoke, research findings indicate that second hand wood smoke has potentially an even greater ability to damage your health and the health of your family and loved ones.
Wood Smoke is more damaging

The open burning of leaves produces particulate matter and hydrocarbons, which contain a number of toxic, irritant, and carcinogenic (cancer-causing) compounds. Leaf smoke also contains carbon monoxide.
Residential Leaf Burning

Okay, I'm deathly allergic to bee poison, so since many others share this allergy we should kill all the bees.

Many of us are allergic to pollen ... we should destroy all the flowers in the world.

More people die of car accidents, let's ban those while we're at it.

Sex spreads more disease than anything else, so we have to ban that ... hell, I'm all for that one.

Almost half the population is lactose intolerant (to some degree) so let's ban dairy.

Just as many people die from alcohol poisoning, gotta ban that.

Almost everyone who has died of a heart attack has walked more than a mile a day, so we gotta ban walking.

Hmm ... I know there are a million more connections we can make.

Meat causes a lot of illness, so we have to ban that to.

this just don't make democwat socailist libtard walking around sense do it?? pass a bill making children's health dependent on smokers and then limit their ability to smoke?? remember now you unpatriotic anti children libtards,, the more smokers smoke the healthier yer childrens will be. :redface:

Forum List

Back