Outdoor Activity - Hiking, Camping, and Survivual

Outdoors Thread in Badlands is a good place for the information. You are welcome to post there. :thup:
Thanks.
Didn't know of that and seldom wander into "Badlands".
I used search function for "survival" and got no results, so ...

Perhaps the Mods can transfer this over.

Order of operations: Pack empty mason jars, bottles of water and extra socks into back pack. Pack additional overnight bag. Drive to hiking area. Hike all day. Fill Mason jars with river water and other stuff. Prepare for night of roughing it.

Get camping gear out at nearest motel: pajamas, shampoo, soap, clothes for the following day. VERY IMPORTANT: be polite and smile at everyone because in that moment in time after a day of hiking you probably look like the crack head. If there are 5 or 6 men sitting outside in front of different rooms and smoking cigarettes and you walk up with your kid and they all immediately get up, drop their cigarettes and go into their rooms, then you are at a motel with sex offenders. if you are there without your kid and they don't get up but are still lined up sitting outside their room they are still sex offenders. Just go into your room and lock the door. It means the state has a contract with the motel.

It's always best to pull off the covers of bed and check to make sure that there are no prophylactics, the sheets are clean and there are no bugs anywhere. Good idea to check under the bed too. Make sure the air conditioner works.
Order wings from Pizza Hut. Take shower and try to figure out how to operate the cable. Identify 987 channels with only 985 devoted to sports. Occasionally you will hear the local loons in the next room calling to each other in a meth infused arguments about who got more. Charge phone, set alarm for 5:30 and be out the door by 6:30 in time to stop for coffee. It's always wise to plot the course well in advance in order to identify gas stations with restrooms after acquiring said coffee.

You know her first mistake was sleeping outside on the ground, right?

I’ll stay at home and watch Survivor

Love it when the cute guys start losing weight and their swim trunks start slipping down

How to Start Camping: A Beginner’s Guide​

Everything you need to know to go on your first camping trip, including where to go, what to pack, and how to make the perfect S’more.​

A Brief Guide to Navigating Periods of Disorder​

Like it or not, life is cyclical.

I recently heard someone say that that inherent unpredictability and uncertainty of life can feel like “looking both ways before crossing the street, and then getting hit by an airplane.”

For better or worse, we tend to live under the illusion that things are stable when in fact they are always changing. We crave a straight line of progress and increasing happiness, but like it or not life is cyclical:

• Order → Disorder → Reorder
  • Orientation → Disorientation → Reorientation
  • Integration → Disintegration → Reintegration
The hard work is navigating the middle phases. The prefix “dis,” which all the middle phases share, means asunder, apart, or into pieces. The question, then, is how do we go to pieces without falling apart? The principles below, all of which are supported by modern science and ancient wisdom, help.

You have a need to make lists. I appreciate that. I just kind of wish you guys had the capacity to loosen up and have a bit of fun. It's that thing you do when you poke fun at yourselves and occasionally other people.

Look around and you'll find I do that on occasion.
But I also find message boards a place to share information, sans personal opinion to accompany.

10 Reasons People Get Lost in the Wild

Here’s how getting lost can happen to the best of us.

Between the years of 1992 and 2007, our national parks were the site of 65,439 search and rescue (SAR) incidents. From these thousands of SAR missions, a large percentage of “call outs” involved outdoor enthusiasts who had become lost in the wild. But with all of the technology we have today—such as cell phones, GPS devices, and satellite phones—how does this still happen? We can all imagine different scenarios that would disorient us in the remote backcountry. The weather could hamper our visibility, the vegetation could limit our view, or the terrain may obscure the local landmarks. Certainly, being unlucky or under-prepared can put us in a tough situation, and one that Mother Nature may not abide. So what kind of blunders leave people floundering and lost? Read on to discover the common pitfalls of wilderness navigation, and how to avoid them.

Forum List

Back