Outdoor Activity - Hiking, Camping, and Survivual

10 Unusual Things You Need in a Survival Kit​

These must-have items you probably already have laying around the house can save your life.​

Zip Ties​

These are another good helper for shelter construction, albeit a bit more permanent than the binder clips. They can also be used to hang things in camp for the night. Secure items to your pack for safekeeping or use one to “lock” the zippers on your bug out bag so nobody rifles through it when you’re not around. If you plan to use snares or similar types of traps, a zip tie can keep the wire securely attached to a tree or weight. They can be used to cinch pant legs to help prevent ticks, too. (one of the most underrated items, I always carry a whole bunch in my Eberlestock backpack​

Decent article! Zip ties are really underrated in my opinion for those kits. Not sure about deck of cards(if you're looking for a deck that has some sort of info about wild berries or anything, might as well get a small book with same info, takes same amount of space and weight). Duct Tape is not really unusual, but for sure is useful! I would add something not many people consider - a bottle of hand sanitizer. It's not only good for small wounds, but you can also start fire with it(I'd say as a last resort 'cause it's a finite resource in your pack, especially if you have something like ferro rod).

Decent article! Zip ties are really underrated in my opinion for those kits. Not sure about deck of cards(if you're looking for a deck that has some sort of info about wild berries or anything, might as well get a small book with same info, takes same amount of space and weight). Duct Tape is not really unusual, but for sure is useful! I would add something not many people consider - a bottle of hand sanitizer. It's not only good for small wounds, but you can also start fire with it(I'd say as a last resort 'cause it's a finite resource in your pack, especially if you have something like ferro rod).
Some good suggests there.
I'd recommend Gorilla (duct) tape if you can find it. Has a lot better sticky power than regular duct tape.
I'd guess the playing cards are for recreation/entertainment purposes. Play with others if not alone, or play solitaire.

There are some small sized military issue survival books to be found in place of, or with those playing cards.

How Did the Swiss Army Knife Become the Original Multitool?​

They've gone from opening Swiss officers' wine bottles to becoming standard NASA equipment for space missions. But what was the event that threatened the existence of the world's favorite do-it-all pocket tool?

by Jon Guttman10/5/2022
Weapons & Gear Manual

The Feminine Art of Bow Hunting​

Although hunting is often styled as a sport of men, American magazines marketed bow hunting to women in an attempt to legitimize and civilize the sport.
In many states, bow hunting season is approaching or already here, bringing images of manly hunters as well as invitations to women to join the “traditionally male” sport. But, as historian Eric Mogren writes, women’s participation is not a new feminist development. Women were part of US bow hunting culture from the beginning.

Mogren writes that nineteenth-century Americans organized their ideas about hunting less by gender than by class. Elites distinguished their enjoyment of sport hunting from subsistence hunting or blood sports practiced by the masses. Part of this distinction was elite women’s participation, which lent a sense of civility to upper-class hunting trips. But this began to change in the early twentieth century as hunting became understood as a democratized but masculine sport.

Bow hunting was different, however. While the bow and arrow is, of course, a very old tool, Mogren notes that bow hunting only became popular with white Americans in the twentieth century. This was thanks in part to Ishi, the last surviving member of the local Yahi branch of the Yana-speaking people of northern California. In 1911, anthropologist T. T. Waterman “rescued” Ishi from jail and put him on display as a living exhibit at the University of California’s Museum of Anthropology. Ishi subsequently taught bow and arrow making to a professor and author named Saxton Pope, who wrote a series of popular books and articles that won many new enthusiasts to the practice.

About ten articles here with link regarding emergency response clues, especially the value of a sturdy bicycle.

The Way Out of a Disaster Is with Each Other—and Bikes​

In search of the perfect emergency prep plan for her family, one writer charts a path toward something much bigger.​

Trail Cams That Captured Some Truly Amazing Things​

Who knew when trail cams were invented how much love they would give back to society? A deer is probably trying to have a private walk in the woods then is suddenly startled by a flash and can make the wackiest face!

Then there are the times when it looks like a wolf is posing for the camera. He's probably fully aware of how majestic his fur looks blowing in the wind. If you're looking for the photos of animals caught on trail cams, you've come to the right place!

Interesting slide show

Forum List

Back