Out of Work, Sucks

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seems to be a mantra many of us will bear. No, I've yet to lose my job, but could happen, likely to happen if nothing changes in the next year. Contrary to public opinion, we do not get to 'pick' our students. They are where they are in 6th grade, we build upon that.

Seems to be a mantra many of us will bear. No, I've yet to lose my job, but could happen, likely to happen if nothing changes in the next year. Contrary to public opinion, we do not get to 'pick' our students. They are where they are in 6th grade, we build upon that.

This is today's problem in a nutshell and why government action isn't going to amount to much, if any, impact. If gov't gave you $5,000 stimulus check tomorrow, but you are still pretty sure you are going to lose your job by year's end, are you going to spend it? Or save it for your rainy days coming up? $10,000? At what point, knowing you are probably going to lose your job, do you go out and buy a big screen 1080p 120Hz 65" HDTV?

This is today's problem in a nutshell and why government action isn't going to amount to much, if any, impact. If gov't gave you $5,000 stimulus check tomorrow, but you are still pretty sure you are going to lose your job by year's end, are you going to spend it? Or save it for your rainy days coming up? $10,000? At what point, knowing you are probably going to lose your job, do you go out and buy a big screen 1080p 120Hz 65" HDTV?

People ARE saving more, and that's very good for the long term.

Maybe this country needs a little tough times. Maybe people in this country need to toughen up a bit. Quit eating so much, walk more, work harder, knuckle down and quite whining you want the government to hand everything to you on a silver platter.

I'm not coming down on you Zoom, your point was good. I'm just saying in general.

Last edited:

Maybe this country needs a little tough times. Maybe people in this country need to toughen up a bit. Quit eating so much, walk more, work harder, knuckle down and quite whining you want the government to hand everything to you on a silver platter.

I'm not coming down on you Zoom, your point was good. I'm just saying in general.

Maybe this country needs a little tough times?

Maybe we need all our hard earned money stolen by hedge fund managers?

Maybe we need to put some people in jail.

That isn't what he said..but you'll play dumb..well..because you are dumb.

That isn't what he said..but you'll play dumb..well..because you are dumb.

Seems to be a mantra many of us will bear. No, I've yet to lose my job, but could happen, likely to happen if nothing changes in the next year.

It's all part of the economic regression that, chances are, you voted for...

If you are implying that the current economic problems are the fault of the new administration, your head is so far up your ass your teeth floss will be brown.

The stimulus package has money to start over 600,000 jobs. That's not some frigging tax cut mantra from the right, that is real jobs. It's also not four years off like the lying sobs keep saying.

Read the plan and quit listening to Bitch McConnel and McCain.

I hope that Obama soon realizes that the current Repub leaders don't know what bipartisan is. He needs to just get this bill through the Senate and tell them sorry if you can't work together your not in power anymore.

Tax cuts don't stimulate the economy. And tax cuts for the rich on stimulate the rich.

If you are implying that the current economic problems are the fault of the new administration, your head is so far up your ass your teeth floss will be brown.

The stimulus package has money to start over 600,000 jobs. That's not some frigging tax cut mantra from the right, that is real jobs. It's also not four years off like the lying sobs keep saying.

Read the plan and quit listening to Bitch McConnel and McCain.

I hope that Obama soon realizes that the current Repub leaders don't know what bipartisan is. He needs to just get this bill through the Senate and tell them sorry if you can't work together your not in power anymore.

Tax cuts don't stimulate the economy. And tax cuts for the rich on stimulate the rich.

Sorry dude, "Bush Rules" apply. The MINUTE Obama said "I do," it's ALL HIS.

Why don't you try listening to the news? Savings are up, spending is down. People are socking their money away.

Your stimulus package isn't doing anything but bailing out the rich, and GMAFB on starting over 60,000 more jobs. You mean more government jobs because that fat tick of a bureaucracy ain't fat enough?

Then there's the fact that it's BEYOND hillarious you saying ANYONE doesn't know what bipartisan is. Your idea of bipartisan is your way every time.

Get a grip on some reality, huh?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I agree ... people here in the US are basically lazy and selfish. This is exactly why "you think other races" work harder. Its not that they work harder its that they work for something better and the reward is much greater than what they are used to.
Why do we have to have suvs with 22's and hydraulics thumping down the road ... ?
At 5K it would go to the mattress as most people do not even trust the banks right now.
Jobs arent going to just come back ... why would I hire 100 people more if after cuts the same amount is getting done at a smaller cost? Not to mention there are 10 people in line for your job.

Excellent point. I think this is a great point the Republican party should stress over, and over. Don't you?

I agree with John McCAin's economic advisor and top Republican economic strategist, Phil Gramm - this country is a bunch of whiners and the recession is all in our minds. Why it was only a few months ago that Bush voters were rushing to the message board to post that the economy was pretty darn good, despite all the doom and gloom talk of crazy libs!

Excellent point. I think this is a great point the Republican party should stress over, and over. Don't you?

I agree with John McCAin's economic advisor and top Republican economic strategist, Phil Gramm - this country is a bunch of whiners and the recession is all in our minds. Why it was only a few months ago that Bush voters were rushing to the message board to post that the economy was pretty darn good, despite all the doom and gloom talk of crazy libs!

I see our chum Red Dawn is one of those who advocates giving rabid Republicans enough rope to hang themselves.

The leadership of the Republican Party probably gets it by now, but as you can see their loyal following still hasn't gotten the latest Party talking points.

You know why they haven't?

Because the latest talking points don't give these nitwits the right to blame all the nation's woes on welfare mothers and the hapless victims of the crises

And spewing hateful vitiol at the unfortunate is what makes these hateful nitwits feel better about themselves.

I see our chum Red Dawn is one of those who advocates giving rabid Republicans enough rope to hang themselves.

The leadership of the Republican Party probably gets it by now, but as you can see their loyal following still hasn't gotten the latest Party talking points.

Because the latest talking points don't give these nitwits the right to blame all the nation's woes on welfare mothers and the hapless victims of the crises

And spewing hateful vitiol at the unfortunate is what makes these hateful nitwits feel better about themselves.

i had no idea you were a republican

I think illegal immigrants, and too much crazy liberal regulation on banks and corporations are to blame.

Seriously, it sucks when people are losing their jobs. I don't agree with the republican posters that this is a nation of whiners and that we need to go through economic pain and misery.

I'll feel bad for anyone who loses a job. But, I'll feel worse for those 70% of americans who felt we were on the wrong economic track for the last four years. Those who defended deregulation, the magic of unfettered "free markets", and applauded giving massive tax cuts to oil companies and trust fund babies? Not so much. I can't get too teary eyed about those who willingly voted themselves out of a job.

I agree ... people here in the US are basically lazy and selfish. This is exactly why "you think other races" work harder. Its not that they work harder its that they work for something better and the reward is much greater than what they are used to.
Why do we have to have suvs with 22's and hydraulics thumping down the road ... ?
At 5K it would go to the mattress as most people do not even trust the banks right now.
Jobs arent going to just come back ... why would I hire 100 people more if after cuts the same amount is getting done at a smaller cost? Not to mention there are 10 people in line for your job.

That's bulloney pete...:)

US WORKERS are the some of the MOST efficient and productive workers in the world...near no one produces more per person than the American worker....

We are NOT lazy, we work more and produce more per person, in the entire westernized world i think....look at some of the countries in europe that we compete with....

we even produce more per person than China does....you think the Chinese work hard, and they do put in long hours etc, but they do NOT produce more per person on a yearly basis than we do....they just have alot more people at alot less money to do the producing so their 'low productivity' does not hurt them.

I hope that Obama soon realizes that the current Repub leaders don't know what bipartisan is.

Of course they know what bipartisan is.

If you're saying that they stick to party politics and never even try listening to the other side that may be true of many, but then of course it may be true of you as well.

Are you saying that you disagree that people need to tighten their belts and be a bit more responsible for their own lives?

I agree that the Bush administration has been very poor in general, but having someone to blame isn't really going to help much, IMO. For years now (certainly since the mid 90s), people have lived above their means. Maybe they have been lulled into it by the availability of easy credit and a strong housing market, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be responsible for your own decisions.

I was under the impression that this was the intention of Zoomie's post. Clearly you disagree and think it is all Bush's fault, or am I misreading you? If the former, I think that's just an overly simplistic and partisan view, and certainly doesn't really help anyone.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Gunny, please don't lecture me on bipartisan. You ain't. I will work with others to get the job done. I always have. My total dislike and disdain for Bush was much from the fact that he believed he was always right and never worked with the left unless he was forced to.

Obama is trying to talk to the opposition more than anything like Bush did in the past and they still think they are in charge. I hope he tells them to fuck off soon and gets some things done.

Sorry dude, "Bush Rules" apply. The MINUTE Obama said "I do," it's ALL HIS.

Sorry, Dude, it's Obama's problem, but it's still Bush's fault.

I love they way some of you on the right say that well it happened in the past, we just have move on unless the past mistake is a lefties'.

You all have to admit that easy credit has not been good for our country. The entire purchasing dynamic in America has changed.

Before, individuals would save, sometimes for years, to make a big purchase. That accomplished several worthwhile objectives including the gratification of achieving a set goal, an appreciation of the hard work and sacrifice required to afford that big purchase and a savers attitude that would help secure a firm foundation in the event misfortune struck. If you lost your job you could live off the money you were saving to make that big purchase.

Today purchasing is totally bass-ackwards. Folks buy things they really don't need and wouldn't purchase if they had to pay cash. Now instead of having money set aside that can be used in an emergency, people are so far in the red due to frivolous spending and 'keeping up with the Joneses' mentality that when an unexpected event befalls them they don't have any form of safety net. Instead, Americans are so far in debt that something as insignificant as two weeks off work for the flu can set them on a downward financial spiral from which they likely cannot recover.

Unfortunately, returning to the credit-free save and buy system will wreak havoc on our economy. Whole industries depend on massive frivolous spending. Our economy depends on spending, the joys of the consumer based economy.

Last edited:
Maybe you should get a part time job now and save all the money you earn from it so if you do lose your job you've at least got a cushion...and a part time job.

Forum List

Back